rule clarification on afk farming

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by macncheesey, Nov 21, 2018.

1. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Have to disagree with you there. Cheating in any platform harms the cheater the most. It robs them of the experience all non-cheaters are having. For the same reason, cheating through college robs the student of the knowledge they'll need to succeed in higher level classes as well as if/when they ever get to the workplace. It's the same concept. They are cheating themselves.

To say unequivocally that cheating in an MMO harms others is flat out incorrect. It may harm others. Which is reason enough to outlaw it.

Why would people cheat? Because they want the easy way out. What they probably do not realize is that the path of least resistance always means less personal growth, less learning, and less fulfillment.

Oh, and all bot farmers should die. That is all.
  2. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

This is interesting. Game developers make the game boring so people are enticed to spend money on things which make it less boring?

Can you cite any specific examples to support your claim?
  3. Barton The Mischievous

We may have a difference of opinion on the word harm and what it means in this context.
  4. seber Augur

Oh, and all bot farmers should die. That is all. /nod to that .....
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth likes this.
  5. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I get what you're saying. But be careful with absolutes. Do I condone and side with botters and cheaters? I do not. But not a single person here can tell me what the impact will be if they are completely removed from the equation. Additionally, culling the botters will invariably include false positives. Then we wind up in a situation where non-botters/cheaters are banned because some normal game function that the detection script wasn't designed to handle flagged them.

It's a tough needle to thread. I trust DBG to know the best way to thread it.
  6. eqgamer Augur

That’s about the only thing I got out of this thread, the fact someone got that saying right.
  7. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Hehe, thank you, sir!

eqgamer likes this.
  8. Angahran Augur

You may say that 'Common sense says they arent going to ban you for afk that doesnt gain xp or loot.' but unfortunately DBG have not specified common sense as an acceptable part of the EULA.
    They can legitimately ban anyone for doing ANYTHING while not at the keyboard.

If they would at least specify that the 'swimming trick' and bard afk melody are not bannable that would at least be progress.
  9. svann Augur

If you want to be really paranoid about it - they could theoretically say that the swimming trick is acceptable and then STILL ban you for it since THEY arent bound by the eula. They are under no legal obligation to sell you a sub and may cancel it at any time for any reason or for no reason. But they dont. Because they like your money.

It's unlikely that they will add swimming and bard exceptions into the eula since it costs lawyer-time to make changes to that.
  10. Aurastrider Augur

If you dig deep enough there is already a comment from the developers saying these are both ok. It would be nice if they would pin those responses some place so players don't question these things at the same time threads like this pop up so frequently and the developers don't have time to repeat things over and over. They have actual game stuff to do and can't play FQ all day like some of us.
  11. Gundolin Augur

I can't understand this position at all. If a cleric is able to Molo in any current content zone and keep a merc alive whether or not they cause any damage should have no part in the equation. Really a cleric keeping a merc alive while the merc does all of the damage would take much more concentration and dedication than almost any other class trying to Molo. I really don't see a way you could just tap a multibind (without any interventions) and have a merc kill something in current content, but if you find the cleric who does it, they deserve the xp and ph4t l3wt that drops.
  12. Angahran Augur

I know there are comments from various devs about these.
    However DBG does not recognize these as valid and refuses to state that these are not violations of the EULA.
    If you try to get an answer about anything from 'customer support' all they do is point to the EULA, even giving them the devs quoute they will not acknowledge it.

If someone would give an official answer (or update the customer support reps information) then these threads would not keep popping up.

The current, official, DBG policy is you can be suspended or banned for ANY action taken while you are not actively at your keyboard.

In a fight, the doorbell rings and you get up to answer ? You could be banned.
    Killing grey con trash for TS components with a pet or a merc, go grab a soda from the fridge ? You could get banned.
    moogs likes this.
  13. lancelove Augur

Macncheesey was trolling...ie his second response to the first answer to his original question. Funny to see a room full of people squabble over it.
  14. Tatanka Joe Schmo

That's how the devs play ForumQuest, silly ;)