rule clarification on afk farming

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by macncheesey, Nov 21, 2018.

1. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Honestly, I couldn't care less, either. As long as they're not in anybody's way. But, what we feel/think about it doesn't matter. It's against the EULA. Do it, and get reported, and you get suspended or banned.

But again, back to the OP's subject. DS farming. Doesn't work, because you do no damage. For the same reason, it doesn't work for XPing either.
    macncheesey likes this.
  2. Zamiam Augur

simple solution .. all DB has to do in any combat zone after a set amount of time of inactivity have a popup appear to where the player has to either click yes or answer a simple question .. if the user is afk he wont be able to do that even if using 3rd party software .. if the user does not respond that user gets logged off and cant log back in for a specified amount of time.. after multiple incidents the user gets suspended for a certain amount and so forth eventually leading to a ban

its like when im on my bank site or any secure site it logs you off automatically or pops a window asking if you need more time ..

heck my T.V. after an hour of inactivity auto shutsdown if i dont click cancel ..
  3. Act of Valor The Newest Member

4. Zamiam Augur

How so ? only people who afk farm would think its a terrible idea.. ?

personally it doesnt bother me either way .. I haven't come across any afk farmers that were in my way disrupting my game ever.. not saying it doesnt happen but has not affected my game in the slightest..

I'm just giving my opinion on what DB can do for the people that it does bother as there are many many posts on the subject so it is a problem for many ..
    macncheesey likes this.
  5. Garcielle Journeyman

be careful now, you may Trigger someone when you mention Russians!
  6. Zamiam Augur

наконец, я был активирован
    Я долго спал
  7. Zamiam Augur

translation
    finally activated
    slept for to long
    :D
  8. Redrum_Redrum Augur

Q - If I afk in the lobby while players in my group do progression tasks and i get check marks on my character can i get banned?
    A - Who knows people do this all the time for ages now

Q - If I afk in a group for dinner, bathroom, other things for a short time and the other 5 players are still grinding xp do I get banned for unattended xp gains.
    A - Who knows since the dawn of EQ this has happened

Q - If a NPC falls in the forest and Nobody is around other than me afk does it make a xp ding.
    A - Sure does......
  9. Zamiam Augur

you sir are comparing apples to oranges !!
    its ok to be smart but nobody likes a smarta** ..
  10. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Hehe. Wasn't trying to be political. It was a reference to this:

11. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Unless you're a really good , then everybody loves you ;)
  12. Aurastrider Augur

The workaround to not going afk is so simple and I am not even a techy person. I imagine the bot kids would avoid your pop up due to inactivity on first announcement. The only people that it will annoy are those who have to afk, do so without killing anything and get booted because they did not return in time to respond.
  13. Tappin Augur

:) You really mean caster merc - If someone used a tank merc as only source of DPS on current content, the ball would drop in time square before the mob died.
    Tatanka likes this.
  14. KermittheFroglok Augur

I don't understand the bulk of this thread.

I think the rule is pretty cut and dry, either you are at your computer controlling your character or you're not. If you're not actually playing then your character/merc/pet/etc shouldn't be doing anything to hurt/interact with the environment*. If they didn't have this rule people would never log and just leave their characters/mercy on camps all the time and it would interrupt play for people that actually want to play the game as intended.

There's really no point to the game if you're going to advance through AFK exploits, if you feel you need them to advance in a MMORPG then you're probably in the wrong genre! Try a faster game like H1Z1 or Planetside 2 where you don't need to level and collect items as much!

*Only exceptions being when DBG made a feature explicitly for AFK, like trading in the Bazar when offline.
    Tucoh likes this.
  15. Aurastrider Augur

Early levels tank mercs destroy almost everything. At later levels they do suck bad but that wont stop some players from just standing back and healing. Either way it's still bad to punish these players for wanting to just heal as a priest on their own. Other players probably already shame them enough when they group and only cast the same heal over and over.
  16. svann Augur

No, Im fairly certain your bank never logged you off then refused to let you log back in.
  17. Zamiam Augur

correct my bank does let me back in .. However im referring to this game and a punishment system for people that take advantage of afk farming..
    I used my bank as an example of them logging me off automatically after a certain period of time of inactivity .. geez
    and yes people DB already suspends/bans people for afk play if they implemented that system of auto logoff after a certain period of time then 1st , 2nd offense only get a 30min suspension lets say while 3rd 4th get 24hour and so forth leading up to say after the 6th or 10th time a perma ban ..
    how do they know if they are truly afk playing .. well after an hour of inactivity a window pops up with either a true/false question that is random and changes daily/weekly or a multiple choice that has to be chosen correctly if it is not then more than likely they are not at the wheel (not literally) control..

learn to read between the lines and dont take everything so literal..
  18. Aurastrider Augur

so you want a popup to show on everyone's screen when they play? No thank you if this is the case. I don't need crap flashing in front of me as I am busy pulling or grinding. As I already stated its way to easy to bypass the afk flag so this idea is a joke for cracking down on the afk farmers. These guys are good at bypassing the rules especially ones that are based off of afk status alerts as you suggest.
  19. Zamiam Augur

A lot of people have tells pop up on a separate window (tell windows) that's not much different than what I'm suggesting, however that's all it is a suggestion or opinion ..

I doubt DB will implement anything ..

Like I've stated before I really do not give a flying f*** either way .. I'm just trying to throw ideas out .. sense it is a problem for some people with the dozens(or more) posts on the subject of afk farming ..
  20. Aurastrider Augur

I understand its just a suggestion but its one I personally would get annoyed with especially if it were just on a timed interval. I have plenty of ftp accounts that I will utilize for various things along with my paid accounts and having the subscription window popup during combat is not very convenient. Having something obstruct my view on a paid account that requires me to stop what I am doing and answer a question or click a box to prove I am not cheating just seems rather disruptive to the whole experience. Instead they could investigate anyone who has been logged in over x amount of time in a combat zone and if possible put in their algorithm also gaining xp or loot. At this point they could question these account owners to see if they are active players at the keyboard or some script kid. They could base time not on total session time but total time in a combat zone over x amount of time otherwise the script kids would just have their toons log out and back in to bypass the checks. Doing it this way would only impact the script kids or those who literally don't sleep and just play EQ night and day. Worse case the afk farmers know they cant farm 24/7 and have to let their toons rest. Even then they would probably just level up countless toons and alternate between them but at least it would require more work on their end to cheat.