Rude buff requests

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Tinytinker, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Illusory Augur

+1, there is also a nifty feature called /ignore. :)
    northstar likes this.
  2. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

always anon my cleric / enchanter and ignore anyone telling me to buff them. Simple and easy
  3. Rhodz Augur

If this is stressful what must IRL be like?
    Times like this having that old school Y chromosome comes in handy.
    Get off my lawn before I hurt ya.
    :D
  4. Ming Tee Augur

until you hit your 40's or gain 50 pounds.
  5. Ming Tee Augur

...and everyone complaining about buffing in this thread are hilarious, acting like it really hurts your feelings. I think a lot of clerics and enchanters roll the class just to be rez and buff 's (hitlers? Ok that worked). "You don't get bufffs, you don't get buffs, you don't get buffs. Ok i guess you can have buffs because you sucked up enough, here is a low level hp buff so i don't have to see my precious irreplaceable mana bar go down to much, don't even think about asking me for an ac buff." gtfoh.
  6. Dumbledorf Lorekeeper

I play a cleric, but am always in a group leveling - and have no mana to spare to buff non-essential team roles let alone randos. That being said, if I got asked for a buff, I probably wouldn't even see it anyways. If I'm just chillin somewhere lfg - I'll buff/rez no problem as long as you're offering to tip or being nice.
  7. Rhodz Augur

Then the complaint becomes not getting any attention.
    Guys we cannot win lol
    Risiko likes this.
  8. Amoeba Augur

Stupid and mean people are everywhere.
  9. daffie999 Augur

To be fair here, you should list the number of people who asked you for buffs that were polite or indifferent.

One rude person is too many in my book, but it doesn't mean that it's an epidemic. Posts like these often get overblown. As others said /ignore and move on. The nice thing about EQ is it's big enough to avoid most.
  10. Accipiter Old Timer

Slightly different but I had a guy ask for a rez in Permafrost. I told him I only had 20% rez but I was in Scryer. About 40 minutes later he shows up with his corpse. He's around level 40. I rez him and he gives me 1pp. I literally LOL'd.
    OssOr likes this.
  11. Taschxi New Member

you've over analyzed this, I've many times received a buff I was unaware of, you actually don't have to say anything, just click it off and continue on, I myself am always happy when someone has been kind enough to give me a buff and it takes like 3 seconds to see who gave the buff and do a tell so and so thank you. I would suggest though that you don't be confrontational about it, if you don't want it, it takes less than a second to click the buff off.
  12. Beggly Augur

Wife goes afk for 5 minutes. When she comes back, she finds someone has spammed her with: "Buffs. Buffs. Buffs. F**k"

I died while grouped Player comes up to me while I am waiting for rez and asks for buffs. They offer to donate. I said, "Can't right now, sorry. Getting rezzed." Player replies, "I'll find someone less stupid."

Player comes up, asks my group to buff him. My friend says, "Sure." We all buff him. Player says thank you, then clicks the buffs off. He assumes we are a boxed power level group. "I don't like boxers." Then, he informs us he is petitioning us for violating true box code.[/quote]

Like so many others, I can only say that EQ is not immune to fugheads.

I do a lot of drive-by buffing. Sometimes I get a "Thanks", sometimes not, but more recently the nots have been outweighing the "Thanks" by quite a lot. I think that the advent of potions, mercs, and such have lowered people's expectations vis a vis buffs. When your potion or your merc does the buff, why do you need to worry about being grateful for it. In the early days, all buffs were pretty much dependent on the kindness of others, and as a result, even with tipping for buffs, almost everyone was polite about it. Now, not so much.

I'm not saying we should get rid of potions and mercs. I use them myself, even on the progression servers where they are allowable or available via classic shaman potions. What we need to remember as players is that people really are doing you a favor by buffing, especially on the progression servers, and they deserve a thanks. I might not notice getting a drive-by buff, but when I do, I always say something either to the person or in OOC or SHOUT if OOC is not available.

In closing, I can only say that I appreciate your civility by buffing, and I will remain polite when asking, and offer a tip if I can afford it. Thanks for being one of the good guys. Let's hope good guys proliferate.
  13. Beggly Augur

You always have the option of clicking off a buff. You should, however, remark on it with a quick thank you, even a prewritten canned reply as a hot key. You can always say, "Thanks, didn't need it, but Thanks anyway."

Nobody expects a long reply. Just some sort of acknowledgement is sufficient.

I can't remember the last time I clicked off a buff, LOL. Unless it was because I wanted a different buff and the one I got was preventing the one I wanted.
  14. Beggly Augur

Not the best option. I usually have a set saved, "Buffs", "Lowbuffs", or some such. This allows me to change fairly fast, and isn't a hassle. I also have a "petbuff" and "Summoning" for mages and those who might have similar abilities. It's all part of the way I was taught EQ. We were a buffing guild, and I was one of the best at remembering that. My rep on my original server on all my characters was as a genial buffer and a generous one. Never hurts to have a good rep for something. Bad reps cost you in the long run, but good reps can help you along a lot.
  15. durxll Journeyman

Pretty much everyone who does this stuff is a kid, or teen. Just ignore.
  16. Fuzzbutt Elder

great until they ask you for a tl/port lol
  17. Massimo_Bertoxx Augur

Playing a shaman and, to be honest, the vast majority of people who have asked for buffs or sow have been really nice about it. Although, my favorite are the ones who roll up, hail you, and just stand there waiting like you are a sow casting npc. When this happens, I know what they want but I don't do anything till they say something. It's ridiculous.

And it's just a peeve, but "Can I get a sow?" really annoys me. Who are raising these people and teaching them manners and the English language? Yes, you may have a sow. But learn some politeness.
  18. Rauven Augur

My rogue gets a 'neat' request for SoW and DS once in a while. Even when I'm not anon/role. I just tell them, "go find a ranger or someone with a mana bar." They usually get the hint unless its a noob.
  19. Ghalea New Member

The Mages and Wizards KSing Hill Giants all day in Rathe Mountains asking for Clarity is always amusing.
  20. northstar Augur

I hope one day we see the full potential of mages for there true purpose. Summoning Free things... the one item I want to summon that no one has ever mentioned is a Fishing pole!! like wth.. give mages their pole dang it!! I love my mage, and yeah there are some real good ones out there giving a good mage a bad name. give us the summon ale as well! I don't want to have to quest for the fishing buddy although it is one of the coolest items in the game!

truthfully without sarcasm. mages are a very fun class. and the people who make army's with them are not real mages, 40 of them running around with 1 lead is purely imo exploitation of one class. because of their mechanics in gameplay. its unfortunate but its a reality of the game and the value put on in game items. anyhow /rant over. please DBG give us more spells to summon nifty trinkets over the Obese blatant abuse we see. instead of being nerfed how about an enhancement overhaul?? can it be done? who knows.....