RTX 3070 will outperform 2080ti at less then 1/2 the price $499!?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Veteran_BetaTester, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

I read you have to also buy the new design Power Supply but still, that price should be less then the full price of a 2080ti.

/whispers you might want to consider refunding your new card (if you can).

2. Nennius Curmudgeon

/em Looks around. Curious to try and find the rest of the conversation.
    Fenthen and Zamiam like this.
  3. svann Augur

You dont need it for EQ.
    Fenthen and Andarriel like this.
  4. Act of Valor The Newest Member

I recognize clickbait when I see it
    Fenthen, Moege and Duder like this.
  5. Riou EQResource

you wont have to replace your power supply, you can just use a 2 8 pin to 12 pin adapter on the ones that need 12 pin (iirc they even plan to include this in the box)

Plus mostly expected they kinda skimped on it :p (to sell you a ti and Super edition later on of course)
  6. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

Now that would be great! (re: PowerSupply)
  7. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

[COLOR=var(--ytd-video-primary-info-renderer-title-color, var(--yt-spec-text-primary))]Another video on the topic.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=var(--ytd-video-primary-info-renderer-title-color, var(--yt-spec-text-primary))]Nvidia RTX 3090, 3080, 3070 – What You Need to Know![/COLOR]

8. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

Custom RTX 3090, 3080, & 3070 Video Cards: NVIDIA GPU News Round-Up

9. Jaedo Journeyman

my watercooled 2080super is already obsolete /cry
  10. Nennius Curmudgeon

All weak next to my future system.

Fenthen likes this.
  11. Nennius Curmudgeon

And just for fun. Data 1.0

Fenthen, Tatanka and Zamiam like this.
  12. Riou EQResource

Not really, old hardware doesn't poof when new stuff releases :p

You can see the direct adapter of it in Digital Foundry's video of the 3080, I think that the adapter comes in the box with the gpu's that require the new 12 pins: in the 1:40 to 2 minute mark of the video and a little more around the 3 minute mark (the adapter itself)
    Veteran_BetaTester likes this.
  13. Cicelee Augur

Isn't all this talk in this thread the equivalent of whether to buy a Bentley or a Rolls Royce to drive to the grocery store that is five minutes from your house?
  14. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Some people, lots in fact.. play more than just EQ.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  15. Hellowhatsyourname Augur

b.s.
    Vumad likes this.
  16. Xyphen Maximum Augur

Game software platforms are so advanced/well-optimized these days that you don't remotely need the latest tech to run the latest game. Most games are typically designed to run on hardware a few years old.

Meanwhile, EQ fails hard at high-end SLI. RIP other card.

[IMG]
  17. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

18. Zamiam Augur

I always liked that commercial :p
    Andarriel and Veteran_BetaTester like this.
  19. Cannikin Elder

EQ graphics are ancient DX9. Even staring right at the Xegony PoK lag pile, with all lighting effects, shadows, etc. turned on results in ~30% usage of my 1080 Ti. Upgrading to even a 3090 would probably do nothing for framerate, just lower usage to something like ~15%.

On the other hand, EQ performance (besides network lag) is almost entirely CPU bound because it only uses 2 cores per instance. With CPU affinity turned to all cores, usage sits at 1 core maxed out, another core about 30% usage, and the rest are idle. Though lots of cores does help of course if you're boxing.
  20. Benito EQ player since 2001.

That's like $500 per mile (devaluation). That'll be a $2,500 ride each way.