Roxxlyy, I think I found a flaw in Daybreak Logic regarding recent suspensions

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by narksar, Jan 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. narksar Augur

The issue is the logical conundrum as to what constitutes a "cheat" and or what constitutes a "cheat" that rises to the level of being "actionable" by Daybreak.

If we apply a numerical value to a cheat, and we say that if that numerical value is equal to or greater than 1.0, then someone will incur adverse consequences, how do we know its 1.0? Illusioning through doors was likely seen, if having a value above 0, to be about 0.01, and this "exploit" apparently had a value of <1.0 for years, even if it was above 0. How are people supposed to know what value, if any value, each one is supposed to have?
  2. Oakenblade Former ForumQuest Champion

[IMG]
  3. Vanrau Augur

It doesn't matter if the cheat isn't punished by Daybreak. They can at any time punish someone for doing a cheat, they never punished anyone for in the past. A cheat is still a cheat even if no one has been punished for it.

Why would it matter where in that scale the cheat is? If the cheat has an assigned value of anything greater than 0 then you know you are cheating.
    Niskin and jeskola like this.
  4. Bigstomp Augur

My answer still stands. Don't cheat. Don't get banned.
  5. Khat_Nip Meow

Sometimes when I go to my credit union I notice when I'm walking up to the counter that the vault door is open. The people working there know it's open but common sense tells me that I can't just walk in there and take what I want and skedaddle hoping no one notices.
    Since I'm not a moron I just do my legit banking and go on my merry way.
  6. jeskola pheerie

...waits for someone who got banned to compare your analogy to taking the ballpoint pen from the withdrawl slip area.
    I think the malfunctioning atm machine analogy fits well here....
  7. Millianna Augur

Robing a bank is a federal crime where as flipping instances was legitimized by SoE/DBG. Your analogy doesn’t make any sense.
  8. Khat_Nip Meow

It was a metaphor, not a literal analogy. What part of what I said don't you understand?
    SoE/DBG legitimized exploiting instances as much as someone walks into that credit union to find the safe open and decides, "Well, the bank employees know it's open so I guess I'll just go in there and take what I want and it's all good. If they didn't want me to then they would have kept the door shut".
    Just because you can do something doesn't mean it's right and doesn't mean there aren't consequences. It's common sense.

Edit to add:
    There are rules (laws) for a reason. I can be in my car and crumple a piece of paper and that's perfectly legal. If I throw that piece of paper out of my window then that's littering and not legal.

A cop can't do squat for me balling up a piece of paper and it stays in the car because there aren't any laws against it.
    A cop can cite me for littering if I chuck it out the window because there is a law against that.
    What happens to me in the first example is absolutely nothing. What happens to me in the second example is up to the discretion of the cop. They don't have to do anything to discipline me aside from a warning but they can because it's stated that littering is an offense.
  9. Intenso Augur

Dosnt matter people be back soon with all the raid loots lol
  10. Millianna Augur

They said we can flip instances and never listed exceptions. What part of this do you not get? How many people (who were suspended) would have flipped the instance knowing they would get suspended? Doesn’t take much to understand something doesn’t add up here.
  11. Redrum_Redrum Augur

They also banned an entire guild named Tritality for a week back in underfoot for flipping raid DZ's. They did the same thing and dropped to open chest and re do the dz. Thr sane logic applies here to a mission or any mechanic you try to circumvent to gain an advantage over other players. If you or anybody cant see the flaw in you complaints about why you would get banned for something like this that has been a banable offence in the past then your lost. We can make excuses all we want but Its clear flipping a task for a hunter achievment or xp farming is not the same as circumvrnting a lockout timer to crack open a chest and gain loot.
    Elricvonclief likes this.
  12. Bamboompow Augur

If it seems too easy or too good to be true....blah blah blah.
  13. narksar Augur

One could argue that, but that's just vindictive and lazy, something, that, by extension, I think everyone would object to.

Because who says its actually even on the scale? Who is to say that illusioning through doors is even on that scale? Not to mention, if its under <1.0, that simply means its not considered to be to a degree of significance.
  14. narksar Augur

My answer still stands; gotta know what is truly considered a "cheat" to begin with. If that's not communicated effectively, then people don't really know.
  15. narksar Augur

Because the law already states that such an act would be illegal. Its already explicitly written. There's no confusion. Now if you found a safe in the middle of a field, it was sitting there for weeks without anyone touching it (and you notated this) you could probably claim it as lost/abandoned property, or at least go through the process and hope no one claims it.
  16. narksar Augur

Do you have a quote or link to reference that proves your point that said it is acceptable to flip instances?
  17. narksar Augur

If they've punished people before for this, then that means they could have explicitly spelled it out in the list of exploits/misconduct. That's bothersome if they didn't explicitly spell it out after having done it before.
  18. Millianna Augur

Your logic is still flawed. They fixed the issue with raids and left it in the group game. You cannot make any assumptions on DBG intentions. They never said anything.
  19. Millianna Augur

How many people got suspended for maxing out there character during CoTF flipping HAs?
  20. Vanrau Augur

The only people who would object to it is someone that thinks it's ok to cheat. Anyone else knows they cheated and wouldn't object to it because they knew they were wrong for doing it in the first place and accept the punishment.

Daybreak picks and chooses if the cheat is on the scale. Illusioning through doors was a cheat, they just took a very long time to fix it. I imagine the reason why more people weren't suspended for it is because it's not a simple thing to look for in server logs with people just illusioning and dropping illusion. You would have to match coordinates of where the illusion was casted and dropped. It would be easier for a GM to watch and catch red handed but GM's are few and far between. And yes I have heard of people being suspended for illusioning through doors because a GM was watching them do it.

It all boils down to, what kind of man power + time would it take to actively monitor for cheats. With having a small crew I'm betting they picked the path of least resistance by running queries on something they can easily look up.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.