Router question

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Herodotus, Apr 17, 2020.

1. Herodotus Augur

I am currently using a Linksys EA6350 router. It coexists nicely with my cable companies modem and every device that connects to it. But, the range is lacking a bit. I was thinking of either replacing the router with a TP-Link AC2300 Wireless MU-MIMO Gigabit WiFi 5 Router - (Archer C2300) or possibly just getting a Linksys RE6350 Dual-Band Wi-Fi Range Extender (AC1200).

I was told that the TP-Link router will have much better range than my current Linksys router but my current router works well and I am somewhat loathe to upset a working apple cart. The new router would also cost a fair bit more than the extender, $129.00 versus $49.00 for the extender. House is about 2900 sq. ft. Not huge, but not small either. I also don't want to mess up my daughters Nintendo compatibility.

So, help? Opinions? I can afford either choice.
  2. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

Can you purchase from someone who has a x-day no questions asked return policy?

Personally with any new home networking gear, I've always made sure that I can return it if it doesn't work out within a certain time period. Despite the claims and reviews online, I've found that things just work differently in my home environment.

I don't have any experience with either model you list though.
  3. Riou EQResource

If you know your houses wiring you could run a powerline adaptar through the house to a farther away spot and set up a router there in bridge mode so it can extend the lan lines / wifi

If you don't you could also run a regular ethernet line across as well if you can hide it decently (or even through the walls to change floors / wide area)

In both of those cases you could do it with a like 40$ router from amazon or something (unless your internet is > 100mbps then you would prob have to increase to a 60-70$ one, or maybe an adapter + wifi pair)
  4. Sarkaukar Augur

My advise would be to post said questions on a more relevant forum. Hopefully you have and this thread is more of a way to get a lead, if by chance, someone who has completed such a setup happens by.

Other forums, Toms Hardware, Speedguide, DSLReports, TP-Link. Review more than one guide on the subject since any setup is dependent on the variables involved.
  5. Herodotus Augur

I have asked for help in several places. There are some pretty bright folks here and I took a shot. What I have decided to do is run an Ethernet cable to the opposite end of the house where my daughter can plug in. It will take bit of doing, but I found a way to get the cable into attic where my wife won't have to stare at it. A friend had the cable and that sold me on it.