Roshen, EverQuest’s new Community Manager

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Roshen, Feb 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roshen Brand Manager

Greetings adventurers,

It’s possible you've seen me over the better part of the last year posting announcements on EverQuest's forums and social media. Starting this week, I'll be doing this in a more official capacity. I've completed all of the required quests and I've unlocked the title of “EverQuest Community Manager.”

A little bit about myself: I've been a gamer my whole life. I was mostly interested in CCGs and console games until EverQuest came into my life. It was pretty vexing to my parents that my brothers and I would play a game without a pause button, but I'm glad my mother was a good sport during the years that we all lived at home. It wasn't long before she learned how to talk to us in ways that we couldn't argue our way out of.

“Dinner is ready. Hide your bodies and join us!”
    “Mom, it's called camp. Camp your body. Yes, we'll be with you for dinner in a minute!”

SOE Origin Story

I've been working in the gaming industry for a number of years, and in a conversation at a previous career someone called me something that really stuck with me. I am a “Career Community Person.” I care a great deal about supporting player communities, and I believe strongly in putting the player experience first.

While I've worked with a number of different games, EverQuest has always held a special place in my gaming history. In addition, five of my former EverQuest guild mates have positions here at SOE. When a position on the SOE Community team opened up at the start of 2013, I guess they wanted me to apply here so we would have a full group. Living in San Diego isn't a bad deal either.

Blogs

I want to be open and honest with you all about what's going on in my world, and my plan is to update anyone who is interested in following along in a weekly Wikia blog, such as the one I did this week here.

My updates in this blog will be in addition to communication happening in all of the official places, such as the EverQuest Website, Forums, Facebook, Twitter and Google+.

My thoughts were to blog about my experiences in EverQuest or what I’m working on in the office each week. What types of things would you like to see me blog about?

And What of Piestro?

It’s possible that Piestro had the greatest goodbye posts of all time… and I’M GONNA LET HIM FINISH…

<picks up Piestro's Banhammer>

… but who wants to see if this thing is effective against Halflings of the highest level?

--

In all seriousness though, I look forward to the time we’ll be spending together.

-Ry “Roshen” Schueller
    EverQuest Community Manager
    Aelare, Nightmares, Oxgoad and 9 others like this.
  2. Crystilla Augur

Welcome aboard Roshen!

Piestro has, I'm sure, has made you see the movie Gremlins so you know how to handle the trolls and the approved feeding times.

EQ has a lot of quirks in its community, in its software and whatever knowledge you'll learn along the way, hopefully we won't be too rough on you.
    Pirouette and artofnoise like this.
  3. Iila Augur

What are your favorite mtg draft formats?
  4. Fenudir Augur

...and may whatever deities your pray to have mercy on your sou.... no... wait.... sorry.

Wasn't supposed to say that out loud.

I meant welcome Roshen!
  5. Eluwenie Augur

Welcome Roshen, and I'm glad you're parents were understanding about EQ, mine certainly weren't but I started in 2002 so I already moved out by that time. That's funny on what you said about "hide you're bodies, dinner is ready" haha.. you have awesome parents :) Mine basically said "what do you mean you cast spells? That's satanic". I didn't let my mom's lack of game knowledge ruin my experience with EQ and I'm still playing the same character as I started with. I too have been a gamer since Pong. Anyway, welcome aboard. :D
    Cazmac and Ellyra like this.
  6. Nolrog Augur

Welcome to the mad house. Now, what shall we complain about first?
    Aelare, Cazmac and Cordilya like this.
  7. Roshen Brand Manager

I had a pretty good time drafting during Ravnica, since deckbuilding seemed easier with the guild/color themes in that block. I didn't love Innistrad and double-sided cards.

Lately I've been getting my 'draft fix' from Hearthstone arena runs.

It was definitely helpful, especially when I started raiding pretty hardcore during the Velious era and couldn't just 'hide my body' for family dinner.
  8. Ronthorn Oakenarm Augur

Welcome Roshen, Hope you enjoy the Job. Best wishes
    Cazmac likes this.
  9. Darzag Elder

Those are some pretty big shoes to fill...but you look to be an ogre...so...=)
  10. Sollas New Member

I wish you the best of luck in dealing with .................us.
    Aelare, Cazmac and Cordilya like this.
  11. Beebles New Member

Welcome to the hot-seat!
    :cool:
    I sure hope you've mentally prepared for this madhouse.
    Cordilya likes this.
  12. Sinzz Augur

Welcome, lets get this over with /PILE ON! :)
    Cordilya likes this.
  13. Axxius Augur

There are six SOE employees that used to be in the same guild? :eek:

Let the speculation begin! :D
    Cazmac and Cordilya like this.
  14. Augur Developer

Fun fact: Innistrad was the first MtG set I played. The day that I drafted a Trepanation Blade and an Undead Alchemist and got them both on the board at the same time was the day I realized I loved card games.

P.S. Delver of Secrets OP
  15. Roshen Brand Manager

While I don't want to give away too much, I will tell you that when we raided we were on the Vazaelle server.
    Ishtass likes this.
  16. Naugrin Augur

Welcome Roshen!
  17. Tornicade_IV Augur

Fortunately for you Pietro has set the bar low. so you should have no problem filling his shoes.

Just kidding. It will be hard to top a guy who on his last day signs on to the server and helps random player find the basement in Unrest after an impromptu question answer session on the server. I think though an important lesson from Pietro is after big coding changes or controversial updates to drop in and spend an hour with people on the server will go a long way in community relations. Good luck to you Roshen. keep in touch with Pietro though.. He can have an occasional good idea.
    Cazmac likes this.
  18. Kadolyn New Member

You have some VERY big shoes to fill Roshan, so I hope you are prepared :) And welcome as well :)

As for your blog, I'd love to read some of your experiences in old EQ. I'm an old schooler myself, so I would totally appreciate it all. Maybe you could include some of the shenanigans you got up to. And don't fib, everyone has "stories" of that kind of mischief they got up to in old EQ. lol Myself included. lol
  19. artofnoise Augur

Congratulations on your new role! (and on looting the "Staff of CM" from Piestro's corpse ;) )

Have you picked your hat to wear to this year's Anniversary?

Welcome!
  20. Roshen Brand Manager

I've pretty fond of this hat, but I'm worried I won't be able to stand out in a crowd. Any better ideas?

[IMG]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.