RoS and TBM

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by kinadafz, Oct 26, 2017.

1. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

Some people think it's far overpriced for what you get BEFORE adding any expac into it. The thing is, what we're paying for is a feeling that the product is alive and exciting. And they just can't be bothered to get excited about this game any more, so why should we pay them for it?
    Rhodz likes this.
  2. Tatanka Joe Schmo

So, let me get this straight. You don't want to sub, and you don't want to pay for expacs. So, in a nutshell, you don't want to pay anything at all. And you want an exciting game.

Guess what? TINSTAAFL! The content you get is more than worth what you're paying for it (nothing). If you don't like it, quit. But they can't run a game on a model where nobody ever pays anything.

Get real. The point of F2P was to attract new players who could try it before they buy it, to attract former players who might consider returning, but want to check out the game, or for those who, for whatever reason can't keep subbing, they can at least still access the game. People who want to permanently freeload were never part of the equation.
  3. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Specifically says EQ2. Nothing on there says anything about Everquest.
  4. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

Nope, you didn't get that straight. Try again.

Hint: F2P is not really possible past level 60, so there's no reason to discuss it. Everybody is sub'd when they have something to do.
    Hint #2: I would feel much more happy about buying expansions, if they were worth their salt.
    Hint #3: Lots of games have a F2P model that makes lots of money. In fact, I believe EQ does.
  5. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Oh, yeah, "some people". Just asking for a friend, I guess.

Hint #1 is factually wrong. Many people F2P past 60. Just almost never on a primary account.
    Hint #2 is totally subjective, it's about your "feelings". Not really part of the discussion.
    Hint #3: LOL. Yeah, how do those models work? Eventually, to get people to sub, and buy expacs! No F2P model survives on people never subbing.

I'm really struggling to see what the point of your post was. Nothing involved in this game is costly, in an age when a coffee is $5 and a movie is $10. For $15/month (full freight, no multi-month discount), you'll spend more time playing EQ in that month that watching that movie and drinking that coffee. High Voltage's point was an expac, spread over that year, is less than another $3/month.

Any argument that this is more than the game is worth, is an argument from someone who doesn't like the game. So just quit already. Making another expac or two F2P won't make any difference.
  6. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

For somebody who is admitting to having so much difficulty understanding a thing, you sure appear confident attacking it. Do you attack everything you don't understand?
  7. Rhodz Augur

Making an awful lot of assumptions there.
    I do not sub but monthly, normally play for a couple or three months then cancel for a few months.
    Now out of the five accounts I would have to buy for that makes about $160 ( would not even begin to say how foolish I believe pre-ordering from this bunch is seen) plus the 45 to 75 a month for subs. Each time I cancel there is no telling how long we will gone, has been up to 8 years in the past so not biting at any annual subs.
    Anyway that's oh $205 to $235 bucks for the privilege, bit more than burger money and I am absolutely not giving money to any company for an expansion like TBM so they gotta prove its not just a cash grab.

Like it or not, my money my rules
  8. Kolani Augur

TBM is awful anyways, I don't blame someone for not wanting to pay for it. It launched when Holly was having the team pay way too much attention to the TLP servers and Phinny launched right after it came out, and it shows in the expansion. One new zone, which they used twice with different skins, three reskinned zones from prior expansions dating back to PoP that weren't very good in the first place. It was a low effort cash grab like everything else released that year. At least some of the quest text was good if you ever made it to it, since every single thing in progression was a shared task. The mirror was a neat mechanic too, even though it was limited. It would have been neat to have the option to escape to the other side in the heat of combat and run the risk of running into trouble on the other side.

Let's not even discuss the mayor's first quest being a copy-paste in both Demiplane of Life and Decay.
  9. Rhodz Augur

Pretty sure re-using the old zones is going to just be standard practice from now on.
    Doesn't really bother me, not an artwork kind of guy.
    Got neater stuff to look at outside my picture window if that's what I am after.

But thank who ever that TBM gear itemization scheme seems dead. I hope.
  10. Kolani Augur

Reusing old zones doesn't bother me, what does is when they just take the zone geometry and reskin it. EoK zones at least have different mostly different zone geometry from the original Kunark zones. Plane of Health is Windsong Sanctuary with different texture maps, Crypt of Sul is Temple of Bertox, Crypt of Decay is Crypt of Decay. The sole difference in any of those zones is the textures.
  11. Zhaunil_AB Augur

I don't think TBM was too awful.
    There was a lot of lore involved too, and even some humor "hidden" in the progression/quests/mob-quotes.

Yeah well...
    As if EoK and RoS weren't - or, as was said above, probably everything we are to expect.
    From what they've let on so far, RoS is basically EoK1.5 and should have, levels and all, been released WITH EoK1.

They've reused whole zones in EoK, slightly altered perhaps, and "incorporated" the GGH several times in labs as well.
    They're going to reuse at least 3 EQ1-zones in EoK1.5 and one might even be taken from EQ2
    (though i haven't ever played EQ2, so i can't tell from first-hand knowledge; they say that this Gorwyn city is the Sarnak starting city there).
    That's 4 of the what - 5? - zones in EoK1.5 - 80%???
    Not to mention constant re-use of old mob-models with perhaps some new skins to them.

No wonder they sit rather listlessly in their livestram and try hard to focus on some eye-candy as "the thing" in EoK1.5.

Still, as long as it at least seems to be knitted together in an ok-ish way i do still mind, but not TOO much.
    The lore/quests are what in the end creates the immersion (to me) and they're at least trying there, gotta give'em that.
    Even if you have to take a closer look at times.
    And yes, do progression "yourself" instead of being piggied all the way through.
    It's also something that does not make much of a topic for such a livestream - so they HAVE to focus more on "highlights" like new levels, the cut+paste "new" spells and abilities and useless crap like a helmet they used part of an age-old mob-model for or the "grin" of a completely re-used mob.

What i really mind though is that my favorite Kunark zones haven't been touched like at all :(
    And that they "split" the kunark theme at all and in a bad way too.
    And of course their over-"consolidation" of stuff in the AA-page and then some, but neither of that is for here.
  12. Kolani Augur

These devs don't need to touch Sebilis for anything more than the HH zone, they have no idea what made it challenging. They'd make everything runspeed immune and hitting for 30k.
  13. Rhodz Augur

Pretty sure when people say TBM was awful they are most likely referring to the three months or so where things were broken. Well and the gearing... heh yeah it was pretty sub-par all the way nm.