Rogues Lower DPS than Tanks?

Discussion in 'Melee' started by Poyzen Frawg, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Cicelee Augur

I anxiously await the "Clerics Lower DPS than Tanks" thread. If this one got to 7 pages, the Cleric one will easily surpass 20 pages...
    Mintalie likes this.
  2. Cadira Augur

Hey buddy, I'm still waiting for our weaker version of slay undead that my child class has!

#clericsshouldbeabletodpstoo
  3. Qbert Gallifreyan

Trade you a weaker version of slay undead for a weaker version of turn undead.
  4. Brohg Augur

Vanquish the Fallen

Pay up.
  5. p2aa Augur

I agree with the 300 k ish DPS warriors can do on burns in raids, in tanks groups with no group ADPS.
    I have done 375 k DPS in 60 sec on Efreeti boss in stratos raid for example. I'm pretty sure a rogue in the same group situation than me would do way more.
  6. Bahdah Augur

Yes.

also - /bump
  7. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

Bahdah has a large bucket of popcorn, someone get this man a Coke to wash it down :)
    Proximoe and Bahdah like this.
  8. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

With his illgotten rmt krono blood money (why wouldn’t he please think of the children!), Bahdah likely has a swimming pool full of nacho cheese flavored popcorn that he does laps in to keep himself fit for the ladies.

I, for one, am glad he stays away from blow. :(

@Bahdah still <3 you, Champ.
    Jhenna_BB and Bahdah like this.
  9. bludgorroth New Member

I think one big problem is tank dps vs MT dps vs Rog or any dps. I am totally fine with whoever is tanking the God of the planes being up there in dps.. taking brutal hits and slamming CDs. If there are countless parses of SKs Pals and wars off tanking and top 10 then that could be bad.

Looking forward to making a rogue!
  10. Merker New Member

I am a returning player having played in '99 when EQ was released. My main, back in the day, was a rogue. My main today is a rogue as well. I will say this, a rogue is one of the more difficult classes to play and figure out. It is that challenge which draws me to this class every time.

I recall when raiding with my rogue back then, one of the members of our party said "OMG whose crit was that!!?" (as a mob fell dead to the floor). They thought it was our wizzie, but the others answered, "It's the rogue" LOL. I can't remember the damage (it's been too long) but it was far below the capabilities of my new rogue today, but still impressive for that era when rogues and wizzies were the two sought after DPS classes in groups.

Back then, unlike today, it was near impossible to level your rogue solo past lvl 25 and it took a very long, long, long time! I grouped always, was on often and raided often and it took a year or better to level my rogue to just 57. Of course that's back in the day when your entire party would get wiped by "Traaaaaaaaain!", more often than I would care to count. Come back today and level my new rogue, solo, to 60 in about 3 weeks (With a tank merc), playing casually (too easy today). With the proper AAs in place, I insta drop blue and white cons quite often with a top BS of 74K (on mobs 61 or below, high of over 1400 on lvls 62 and up) and a low around 200. I am not good with all the numbers, but rogues are badass when you level and utilize them correctly. I would suggest that around level 60 you start dumping 100% XP into AAs and train the abilities that are most relevant. Go to Maiden's Eye and drop Garangas (great for AA XP). Once all the relevant AAs are trained at lvl 60, then level to 61 and then back to the AAs and so on.

I think many tend to have a desire to level up their toon too quickly and overlook some of the important steps in the development of their class. Tune up your rogue and you will not have any problem hanging with any other toon. When your in a group and someone says "WTF? Was that the rogue?", then you know you are doing it right. Just my two-sense.
  11. Transporter Lorekeeper

Big problem with player balance is you have 1%'s that are exceptional and then everyone else of various skill levels. That rock star then goes out there and does stuff that the majority isn't able to do then someone wants them nerfed or themselves to be XYZ. Too many variables in play. I see a multitude of classes on our parses of Course Zerkers sit atop the mount Olympus but then that's their only real role is to kill. I'm not going to complain about it as a tank because my ability to put out dps is a foot note to my tanking / ability to hold aggro. If you don't enjoy or can't play the class or ask questions from like players find one that you do like and work on that. All this he's better than I am just keeps making devs screw one class to appease another and keeps us all in flux. Look at Paladins lol most nerfed class ever.
  12. momentumAB New Member

AAs are autogranted up to TDS.
  13. Chaosflux Augur

What on earth does that have to do with what he said, his point wS skill based not AA based.

2 players can literally have the same gear and AA, but comparing someone who is damn good vs someone who isnt, the good player can be orders of magnitude more dps then the other.
  14. momentumAB New Member

Quoted the wrong post, sorry.
  15. Winnowyl Suffering is optional.

This is what he was trying to quote. No need to switch to 100% AA, if you turn on autogrant, you'll automatically get your AA's up to 85 every time you level.
  16. p2aa Augur

I'm bored, so I tried to do a guess on what class corresponds to what color. I had a look at your guild roster to have an idea of how many people of a same class you have to try to help find it.
    I would say
    Orange - Berserker
    Dark blue - Rogue
    Black - Wizard
    Light Blue - Ranger
    Yellow - Monk
    Red - Magician
    Grey- Beastlord

Maybe I overestimated magician or beastlord, and one of their color is necro.

Apart Orange one, which I'm pretty sure to have it right, i'm probably wrong on most of them :)

I don't expect you to tell me what is right or wrong, because you obviously didn't want to give in public on these boards class names and it's understandable to avoid "nerf call" that could happen.

But just for fun.
    Sancus likes this.
  17. Merker New Member

Ahh thanks for that info. I did not know exactly what 'Autogrant' did. My guess was it may apply AAs haphazard, randomly, perhaps in an order I would prefer it not to. Is that incorrect thinking? Does it merely autogrant the points and allow the player to choose where to apply them?
  18. Merker New Member

Ok NM got a clearer picture of what 'Autogrant' does. It is a sub member 'pay to win' (sorta) benefit.Ugh guess I am old school. I view it akin to the free lvl 100 toons given away to sub members for EQ2 , I have several lvl 100 eq2 toons and have leveled them all from ground zero even though I was a sub member (it was still too easy). I always tell my kids, if you haven't put in the hard work for something it is difficult to appreciate it. I, honestly, don't understand the 'instant gratification' mentality. To each his own I guess, but at least I can always say I worked mine from the bottom up.
  19. kizant Augur

According to your previous post you've only gotten to level 61 and you were using a tank merc? That's like getting to level 5 in the old days.
  20. Merker New Member

Yes, and as I had said "Too easy". Though lvl 5 would be extreme, more like lvl 20-25... even in the old days, I could have gotten lvl 5 in a night, each lvl got progressively harder to attain however. In the old days, you were forced to socialize, especially as a rogue. You could level to 20, 25 max, solo but it was a crawl after lvl 20 and many deaths, corpse runs etc.
    I think, we, old schoolers were excited when Luclin first came out in that it allowed us to port to many zones (prior to that you had to have a caster port you to specific, limited spots, again requiring a degree of socialization) and it added mounts (although I didn't see the attraction of the early mounts, they were more about 'look what I have' rather than extremely useful.. SoW and Jboots were just fine). We were excited but I think, for many of us, the excitement began to wane when it became too easy to get around. Eventually, adding ports nearly to every major zone meant less exploring and less and less knowing your way around specific zones and you could skip zones altogether to get to where you wanted to go. Then more and more would whine about this that and the other and they'd get their way. New expansions would make things easier and easier and, we old schoolers, began to hate what became of our beloved EQ and began dropping like flies. I only came back for the nastalgia, but much as changed. The game-play is unrecognizable from what it was/should be. F2P simply meant offering instant gratification rewards to subscribers and so on which made the game even less appealing the the original fanbase.

Which brings us around to the major complaints here about rogue DPS not seemingling being what it should. Like I said, I have only been back 3 weeks (having last played approximately 14 years ago), it would be difficult at best for me to compare rogue stats against any other class at this point, but what do I know. But I have heard many a tale about toons getting nerfed due to players whining that one out does another, etc in specific areas. They never stopped to ask whether or not that toon should outdo the other. Then came the hybrids. Bad idea? Maybe. I think they added variety at first, then it got out of control. It came down to being a money grab and those of us whom maintained subs for years began cancelling left and right. If you were given a toon for free at lvl 110, with all AAs filled in and top gear how well do you really know that toon? You haven't developed it so how do you truly know how to play the class properly. It becomes a cookie cutter character without any uniqueness or genuineness to it. How do you think original players felt toward these NEW players who bought their way to the top? It was what began the downhill spiral of EQ. But that is all relevant to this thread as it plays into the overall reason why the question is posed about rogues to begin with. Now, maybe the real question is are rogues really nerfed or is the playerbase nerfed because they don't really know how to play the class properly? As it was said, earlier, you can give players the same AAs and gear... they be of the same lvl and one will outperform the other in DPS by a longshot. How is that?

Just my thoughts.