Rogue or Berserker Molo/Solo - What works?

Discussion in 'Melee' started by Elaka, May 3, 2022.

1. Elaka New Member

Hi all,
    A couple of things to make sure this thread do not go to far, I want to play a melee character WITHOUT any sort spells. I don't really like the casting part of the game (praise be it if you do), though I do like the idea of being in your face dealing DPS. I am NOT a boxer, I do not mind if you do, but hey it is not for me. I have reached two different classes I would like to play, either berserker or rogue, and my question is trifold. Which one is the better end game raid dps? Also which one is easier to play molo or solo in the end? What would be their cons and strengths?

Thanks!
  2. MagicMysteryTour Journeyman

All melee have spells its just a little less restricted and cast from a yellow mana pool. But you will be casting and weaving your yellow mana spells with multibinds or hotkeys almost as much as a caster.

They are roughly equal in a raid, zerkers are no longer show up and beat everyone like they had been for awhile. A good rogue with adps will shine just as much in a raid.

Solo or molo melee never do all that well but I would guess assassinate, smoke bombs, slow proc poison and SoS would give the advantage to the rogue.
    Wdor and Elaka like this.
  3. Alnitak Augur

Melee dps classes - zerker, rogue and monk - routinely get into top 5-10 dps list on raids. Although, not every character, only well-developed toons can crack top-5.
    Melee dps consists of several components: Gear, AA's, Clickies, skills of the player.

Raid gear makes a big difference in dps for melee dps classes. Once you start raiding you'll get your weapons/armor eventually, it's not a show-stopper, although you'll still need gear to level up prior to raiding.

AA's need to be earned outside of raids, good 20-30K past auto-grant. Considering AA earned per ToL mob and time spent on killing it the picture is not good for solo characters. 50 mil HP for Tier 1 trash and 70 mil HP for Tier 2 trash are a tough for a solo character. Good 2-3 minute per kill to earn 1-2 AA molo (with a healer merc), or 2-3 AA solo (not realistic in ToL for a melee dps without a burn). That's 10K minutes of non-stop fighting just to catch up with an average competitor.

Clickies are almost impossible for a solo character. Jann's Veil and Velium Composite Scale boost dps at a notable degree. And though not actual clickies, Hero's AA's (which come as reward for completing various progression steps in many expansions) boots many stats of the character, including stats like HStr and Hdex, which do increase dps. Same applies to various trophies.

Skills of the melee dps player in part (large part) include using AA's and Disciplines, which need to be earned first (by grinding AA's and earning Rank 2 and 3 discipline tomes), as well as learning details of actual useage, which resembles very closely spell casting in EQ, and if you dislike casting than you'll probably will fall behind in AA-activation and Discipline calls.

Without all of the above you'll never become a "better end game raid dps", so you should consider who and how will help you to get through those hurdles before you'll even start attending end game raids. Typically, people box or are part of a gang for a long time before hitting top10 dps list on raids.
  4. Tucoh Augur

Dre. likes this.
  5. Cadira Augur

Magicmysterytour spelled it out very well.

I'm gonna second most of what they said and recommend rogue, but I don't know that you're going to find exactly what you want from a solo/molo standpoint sadly. Which is true for the majority of classes in the game.
    Dre. likes this.
  6. Goratoar Elder

Rogues are easily the best pure melee solo, provided you are soloing humanoid mobs. In terms of complexity in EQ, which I'm assuming is what you're getting at with the no casting thing (that or standing still to cast, which would also put bard into the mix), all pure melee are fairly simple, relying mostly on movement and positioning to maximize performance.

Rogues are also the best average dps (of pure melees) over current raids and in most situations have the largest toolkit. That being said, you won't get very far solo other than the ability to farm AA relatively efficiently. You will not be able to handle any named mobs till you look several expansions back, nor do many quests that don't explicitly only have humanoid mobs. You're really looking at the best of the worst for solo play.
  7. Elaka New Member

Thanks all,
    Seems like rogue is the way to go, and yes Goratoar it was the standing still and casting spells I didn't like that much. The reason I asked for the solo part is that I play rather uncomfortable hours from the majority, and might find myself alone and wanting to be able to do something instead of just sitting about. Thanks all for your valuable input and see you in Luclin!