Rogue mercs and bite of the shissar

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Malkavius, Jan 9, 2022.

1. Malkavius Augur

So using a j1 rogue merc I have noticed he uses bite of the shissar a few rare times but at 71 he never does anymore. Tried balanced and burn to no avail what is the deal anyone know?
    Fenthen likes this.
  2. Iven the Lunatic

Maybe he did run out of potions.
  3. Wulfhere Augur

4. Malkavius Augur

That's the thing though my friend was using a A5 rogue merc on balanced and it never used bite. And I switched between balanced and burn stance on a J1 to see if it would work to no avail. We were both in our 70s and I had been using a rogue merc since 50s and that was the only time I saw it use bite of the shissar like 4 times maybe?
  5. Wulfhere Augur

It's not clear what prompts the rogue merc to cast it's poison. I.e. hate vs dps.

It might for example be its high avg position on hate list. If your merc is never high on the hate list, it might never use it's hate reducing poison, pre-fight. Just guessing.
    Iven likes this.
  6. Spacemonkey555 Augur

They're using it at 120 at least, just looked at a 100ish mob parse with 2 rogue mercs. Both cast bite 5 times. Poison procs were less than 2% of their dps.
  7. Malkavius Augur

So I tried everything to get it to use bite. Bought new merc set to burn and it used on the first fight then never again. Tried toggling between passive/balanced/burn and nothing. Zoned and tried again and nothing. Tried switching around main assists and tank and nothing. Tried letting it take aggro and no go, when I'm tanking it's never close to getting aggro. And while the poison isn't much at high levels at lower lvls it's a big dps boost especially since I don't have another dps.
    BadPallyGuildLeader likes this.
  8. Wulfhere Augur

Okay, the same level merc did cast its poison buff pre-fight is that right? That means the ability is functioning and there might not even be a problem.

Here is the first rank of the spell:

[22048] Bite of the Shissar Poison I
    Target: Self
    Resist: Beneficial, Blockable: Yes
    Focusable: Yes
    Casting: 0s
    Duration: 2h+ (1200 ticks), Dispelable: Yes
    Max Hits: 60 Offensive Proc Casts
    11: Add Melee Proc: Bite of the Shissar Poison Strike I
    Text: You poison your weapon with Bite of the Shissar Poison.
    Applies Bite of the Shissar Poison to the caster's weapon.

The buff lasts for 2 hours or until 60 casts are used. So the merc will not be casting the buff again until one of those two limits is reached. During combat, the merc should be casting the strike (and that can be seen in your logs).

I know that the rogue merc activates pre-fight abilities during the pull, not while resting, so try a longer pull. Try keeping the merc in combat for an extended time (chain pull without any downtime for 30 minutes). Try letting it take damage regularly.
  9. Malkavius Augur

Yes it casted it pre fight but only has a duration of 1 min 30 seconds and after it procs once the poison icon disappears and it never procs again. And it's definitely not in the logs I check them constantly.
  10. Wulfhere Augur

If the strike procs once, then that implies that the counter is not working on the merc.
  11. Wulfhere Augur

I can confirm that a rogue PC (not merc) using Level 70 BotSP VI can strike more then one time without the buff fading.
  12. Malkavius Augur

I have a rogue so yeah it works fine for PCs but that's not the case with the mercs all the time. I have tried several toons and they have had better luck with the proc. But slightly inconsistent when they actually have it up. But my main still has issues for some reason with rogue mercs ever using bite.