RNG rant

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by KarmaKitty, Jun 1, 2021.

1. KarmaKitty Augur

Tried to get some overseer tasks in under the bonus by using free station cash to finish them early. All five task failed, ouch. Did the same in the past with only one failure.

I have a 0.77% failure rate across 4804 tasks. 37 failures. Five in the one batch smells.

RNG bite me.
  2. Tatanka Joe Schmo

It's not RNG. It's a known bug that early finish of Overseer tasks very frequently just plain fails.

They've chosen not to look at it and address it.
  3. KarmaKitty Augur

Well, I have completed many in their last hour with no issue as a matter of convenience. Wait for 41 minutes or pay 6 station cash vs. I have stuff to do and don't really want to wait. Great use for that free 500 SC. The issue appears to be completing them early in their first hour or first few minutes.

I can assign it to the free 500 SC, so no biggie. Could have cost real dollars, which would be more of
    an issue. Nice of them to toss it in the backlog :p
  4. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Thanks for reminding me. Yes, it's completing them early in their run. I've not seen the issue when just finishing them near their completion time. Though, even then, it's probably been since early last fall that I completed any at all.
  5. KarmaKitty Augur

Had much better luck letting them simmer for 40-ish minutes before cutting them short (no failures).
  6. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Good info to have, thanks!
  7. OlavSkullcrusher Augur

This matches my experience. I have paid to finish recovery quests shortly after starting them a few times and had them fail (since those quests don't cost that much to finish early), but I don't see the same thing happen when I finish them early when well after half the time has gone by.
  8. Filter Augur

I had 1 fail out of 15. I paid for the ability to finish it seconds after those 15 started. I'm not seeing this across any of my 6 accounts.
  9. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Sometimes the RNG goes batty in your favor. Grats!
  10. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Whether intentional or not, there is definitely an increased failure chance mechanism tied to buying out of Overseer quests early on. The Dev team denies it, but numbers don't lie.
    KarmaKitty likes this.
  11. Dre. Altoholic

killed 14 ghoul lords, obtained 4 sets of athlai, 3 fbss, multiples of items I didn't even intend to camp before I got the darkened yak.