RIP - Maddax Steelwind

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Lingum, Jun 30, 2022.

1. Lingum Elder

The human behind all iterations of the Half-Elven Ranger named Maddax Steelwind passed away on 29 June 2022 at the age of 45 from post-surgical complications following an unsuccessful triple bypass surgery. He was in declining health for about the last 20 years, and was largely home-bound for the last ten. Over time, his disabilities became increasingly isolating, and it eventually came to the point that online gaming was his only contact with anybody outside of the confines of his home or the hospital. The family requested that I write his IRL obituary as I have known him and the family for over thirty years and I wrote his mother's five years ago.

Though he has largely been absent from active daily participation on Norrath since the TDS era, he touched a lot of folks in Everquest, starting on the Fennin Ro server on day one of EQ. Fennin later split into Druzzil Ro, where his EQ life largely was primary spent. This server was ultimately merged into Xev and later the Xegony server. He was the creator of the Honor Guards guild when Druzzil was first launched, and following its merger into Coven Nex during Velious, HG became our private pocket guild.

Between the two of us, we alternated as caretakers of HG over the next few years depending on which of us were actively raiding at the time. Once he stepped down from active participation with Tenacity, his last raiding guild, Post-PoP, I returned HG to his care as I was then involved in raiding with Europa. He maintained continuous control over HG since that point. Once I gave up raiding with Europa during the TSS era, when we played EQ, it was almost always as a duo on whatever the merged Druzzil Ro was being called at the time (we have always referred to it as Druzzil, regardless of what it is presently called). In the Late-SOF era, I talked him into starting over on FV with me, and we played there until VOA. From VOA to TDS, we played exclusively on Test. At that point, he largely gave up EQ, with occasional logins to break the monotony of whatever game he was involved with at the time, and later to participate in Overseer. Though my mains and names have changed several times over the years, Maddax was always HEF Ranger.

Though I have been faithful to EQ, a year-long solo dalliance with EQ 2 not withstanding, Maddax also played Horizons, EVE, Rust, Villagers and Heroes and Early-WoW under this name. As far as the future goes, he expected me to take possession of his accounts should anything happen to him. Since EQ was kind of our thing, I don't know if there's any future for me in it. If you see him in-game, rest assured it is me.
  2. Droctrebor Journeyman

RIP Maddax
    Lingum and Herf like this.
  3. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

My condolences on the passing of your friend.
    Lingum likes this.
  4. Aldryn Another New Member

That's awful at such a young age :( My condolences to you and all of his friends and family.

Cheers to Maddax!
    Lingum likes this.
  5. Angeliana Senior Community Manager

My sincerest condolences to the family and friends of Maddax Steelwind. May he rest in peace and never be forgotten. :(
    Nennius, Lingum and Lisard like this.
  6. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

A legend amongst those who knew him, and even some that didn't.

Maddax Steelwind's spirit endures today in those who embody his ethos and commanding presence. He'll be missed and remembered until eternity's bell tolls.
    Lingum likes this.
  7. Thunderkiks Augur

So sorry for your loss :(
    Lingum likes this.
  8. Bigstomp Augur

My condolences to those that knew him.
    Always sucks to lose a friend even if you may not have ever met them in person.
    Some of my closest friends are from EQ.
  9. Rexa Ask someone else for buffs

My condolences. It's always a sad day when a fellow EQ player passes.
  10. zleski Augur

11. Dimuza Not New

Very sorry for your..and our...loss.
  12. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Condolences to you and the family.
  13. RPoo Augur

Very touching. Thank you for sharing and sorry for the loss.
  14. Brontus EQ Player Activist

I'm very sorry for your loss. The past few years have been impacted many people.

It would be nice to have a special zone set aside so that our fellow adventurers who once inhabited Norrath and have passed on, could have a permanent memorial so friends and family could visit them. There's a barbarian guide in cshome that passed away who roams the zone and of course we have the sword in the stone memorial for Aradune in East Karana. I hope the devs will consider this.
  15. Bobokin Augur

Having lost friends and family that were EQ players, I feel your loss.

Everquest was good times for you and your friend. Remember them in all their glory.