Returning?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Whim, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Whim Augur

Ok so, I am aging.

Great way to start right? It turns out, I am having less and less patience with the young yahoos who play WoW.

I am 33, with two small children, and really love a good MMO. I enjoy games, and love the ability to be half social while being close to my kids if they wake. :)

So my questions are..

At this stage in the game, is it still possible for me to level from 1, have a semi social experience, and get things accomplished by only playing evenings after little ones are asleep?

I have not played since 2004, would I still enjoy EQ for being EQ? I mean running through the Karanas, sitting with a group shooting the breeze and pulling mobs up onto the hill, undercons, Fippy Darkpaw, Paludal Caverns, canni as a shaman, PoK mass group buffs?

I admit I want that nostalgia, and I just miss a more mature crowd.

I would like to play on the FV server, but would there be one more appropriate for a player starting from zilch?

Thanks for your time guys. :)
  2. monegames Journeyman

my story is similar to yours 29 and 3 kids and i only get to play after they get to bed. grouping is not a necessity like it used to be. now you can level to the 80s pretty fast solo for most classes and molo(with merc only) for all classes. so it can be hard to find a pug at the lower levels. but a good active guild can remedy the social aspect. as you get to the 80s and 90s grouping gets more prevalent.

i feel i have accomplished more since returning than i ever did back in the day. have taken a monk from 1 to 62 and a sk from 1 to 51 in less than a month.

as for server, its really not that different on FV especially starting out. the only real difference i see is item prices can be somewhat inflated compared to other servers. one thing you can do is level a main on a regular server till you get to a level you can farm plat reasonably and then transfer to FV since its free. but remember you can't transfer off FV once you are on it.
  3. Whim Augur

Thank you for the input. Not to mention the tidbit about transferring!

Would a shaman be viable as well as needed?
  4. Riou EQResource

Shaman are great, bunch of people box them tho, so group side it might be a little harder, but raid side probably in demand everywhere
  5. Whim Augur

Hmm, would there be a class more in demand? I was looking at Druid, shaman, beastlord, or perhaps even cleric.

Edit, as you can see though, preferred race is Vah Shir.
  6. Elricvonclief Augur

You will find EQ to be a rather mature playerbase, normally.

FV is a good server, lot of good folks there.

As for classes, I'd try the ones that interest you, then stick with whatever is most fun. Demand for class is moot in my book. Play what you enjoy.

Oh, and welcome back :)
  7. Whim Augur

Thank you!

I am really missing the magic, and I admit I am excited about the possibility of EQ next.
  8. Nural Toxxin New Member

I have to agree with what people have said so far.I too was a returning player and hardly grouped even back in the day due to kids etc.Now my kids are grown up and i'm back to playing EQ,last expansion I saw was LoY(was that even an expansion? or an extension?) lol. With mercs you always have a group and can AFK when/if you need to.And as far as classes go,clerics are definitely in demand,but then again,play what you have the fun playing,dont let others dictate how you play the game,because in the end,all classes are welcome :)
  9. Whim Augur

So I could Merc level until 70? So......dumb question, how do they work? With a beastlord or shaman?
  10. Geroblue Augur

Healer or tank mercs. They helped my ranger below get from 52 to 61. I highly recommend them. Get the J1 if you have a gold membership.
  11. Draconic Journeyman

Hello Whim and welcome back to EQ. Mercs work as group member, you get some basic control over them and the higher the rank the better they are. The Tank one is generally the best up till 60-70 where you might think to switch to a cleric/dps depending on your class.

All that being said have you heard about Progresion X? We are a progression raiding guild on Trakanon working on going through each expansion in the order, level and gear it was meant at. We are currently in PoP and lvl capped at 65. For more information visit our site, send me a PM or /tell Draconic, Burp, Raynard or Nemo in game!
  12. Dragonlily New Member

Hey! I just logged into FV after 4 yrs! lol Wow lured me away. Its true. I enjoyed no brainer fights going quickly. And then there were the pets. But Wow lost its appeal about 6 months ago. Someone gave me Skyrim to pass the time. But it just wasnt the same. And then! I saw EQ was free to play. AND my aging comp could actually play it w/o needing a new graphic card. Yippee!
    Even better, I logged in with my old account and my chars were still there! Wood Elf, Dark Elf, High Elf, Half-Elf. Still searching for the Troll. Apparantly the SOE powers that be allow such non gold standards providing the characters were made previous to this new system. Perhaps you returning types have a similar happiness in store. If not, I found it nec, to make a new char in any event because ...I FORGOT EVERYTHING!!!. Anyone know a good online guide?
  13. Borek-VS Augur

Check my sig, and make a point of looking at Almar's guides as well (link in FAQ).

The old forums had Mandaar's guide for choosing a character, race and class - would anyone like to see if I can repost that?
  14. Arrawin New Member

Dragonlily, Best bet is to run through the tutorial and talk to all the NPC's there, they will pretty much tell you everything you need to know, then try to join a guild and/or shoot a tell out on the newplayers channel to get some groups going. Don't be afraid to ask questions, lots of people are more than willing to help a truly new player.
  15. Whim Augur

I am thinking of going to FV as well, it was my original server.
  16. Dragonlily New Member

Thanks for the links, Borek. I'll be rummaging through them today.
    Arrawin, I did make a new char to run through the gloomingdeep tutorial. It helped A LOT.
    Now I just need to learn what all this stuff in my bags is for.
  17. Crystilla Augur

If you decide to look at clerics, I just made a post in THIS thread you can check out what's available.
    Otherwise, in addition to Borek's links, I think I have one or two others in mine that might be helpful as well.