Returning to the past.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Loratex, Apr 18, 2021.

1. Loratex The Ridiculous Necro

I had an idea.
    Just hear me out.

There always seems to be an abundance of returning players during fabled. Everything is more over/perma camped then usual.

What if they took the old raid zones with a cliff notes version of a story and turned them into max level Group missions. Scale the gear to group tier. I would figure many people who play now didn’t have the change to raid zones tacvi, anguish, demi plane, ashengate, solteris either at all or when they were even slightly trialing.

To summarize the post.
    Make old end raid zones lvl 110-120 group missions with current era group tier gear.

Thanks and enjoy.
  2. Cicelee Augur

Because all that takes developer time, and there is not enough developer time to do stuff like that?
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  3. Loratex The Ridiculous Necro

It’s basically copy and paste though.
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And tuning it so that a group can beat it as there are plenty of raids that require abilities from multiple different classes that would make them hard/impossible without those classes in the group.
  5. Act of Valor The Newest Member

I like the idea, but it really isn't that simple, the developers have stated that in the past.
    Skuz likes this.
  6. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

This idea is not so wacky as it sounds at first but if it were done it would be piecemeal, i.e. one at a time with months or a year or two between each.

We have Hardcore Heritage events that are similar in principle so this could logically extend to cover some of the OP's idea later on too.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  7. Coagagin Guild house cat

Dreamweaver said awhile back DBG recently hired three more dev resources for EQ1. Problem with that is that it takes at the very least 90 days for most devs to contribute really usable code if not more than a year to become proficient with a very complex system. Same with technical and security architects at an estimated 14 months on a three year project.

Good idea, really is but we really should expect much juice for the squeeze from the added staff the first year. Following years, yes we should see some real leaps while the new team members ramp up.

Sorry, I know some people will be a bit offended by going all business on the boards but just deal with it.

- Coag
  8. GoneFission Augur

I think the ramp-up would likely be longer than you speculate, if anything. When my company hires a new engineer, it’s 90 days before they’re doing anything useful, a year before they’re up to speed, and usually two years to be fully qualified (by which time we’re hiring another engineer). New hires are a net drain on resources through 6 months to a year.
  9. Accipiter Old Timer

Mine are up to speed and getting real programming tasks in 2 weeks. It just depends on the industry you are in.
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

It depends a lot on how good your documentation is, the industry you are in and the background of the new employee. People can get up to a level where they are not a drain on resources in under 6 months if a proper support system is in place.
  11. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

You guys have documentation?
  12. Tatanka Joe Schmo

So much this, LOL!
    Nennius likes this.
  13. Febb Augur

Depends on how critical the task is and how often I will do it. If I do a task daily then documentation isn't needed and can be taught. But if it's something that is critical and is only ran maybe once a month or even longer, documentation is required.
  14. Lubianx Augur

Whilst it would be nice to see, it won't happen.

A number of years ago the devs stated that they couldn't Fable Gates due to the way the scripts were written. If they can't do something like Fabled, them doing something like you mentioned would be a lot harder.
  15. SOLARAXUS New Member

You are assuming that someone on the team can even navigate the PoTime mix of scripting and invisible shouting men and Prathun who fixed it last time ain't even on the team no more.
  16. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

I actually thought this was a serious post until this part!