Returning to EQ - Starting on FV

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Avaire, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Avaire New Member

Hey everyone! I've just returned to EQ and have decided to start fresh on FV. I played the most from '99 to '05, but I've poked my head back in a few times. Last time I played at all was HoT, though. It was suggested that I post here to try to find a returning (newbie now) friendly guild and while I tend to not ask for things, any helpful advice or assistance restarting would not be ignored :)

I'm planning to four box - Warrior/Enchanter/Ranger/Druid for now. All classes I never really played a lot, but seem to make a good team based on research. I was wondering if maybe due to the warrior tank I should do Bard instead of the Enchanter? I've just started, so it definitely wouldn't be a big deal.

I'll be staring at the chat of Avaire more than any of the others for now. See you in game!
  2. Sandy100 Elder

FV is, in my opinion, the best place to start. You get 50% permanent exp gain and everything is drop-able. People are very friendly and helpful. However, prices on the higher end items are outrageous. I have seen high end items go for 20-50 million PP. Krono sells for about 3-3.5 million PP. Be aware of this.
    As for your box, I don't know why you are boxing both a warrior and a ranger. They are quite similar and both are tanking classes, although the ranger is a light tank. Personally, I would have used a shaman instead of one of them and used a SK instead of the other tank. My personal recommendation is either a warrior or ranger or shadowknight, a bard and a shaman and maybe a chanter for number 4. Anyway, if you seem me in game, send me a tell. My two main characters are a ranger ( Sandyran) and shadowknight, "Sandyski."
    Avaire likes this.
  3. rmain1972 New Member

You might check out the guild Black Valor … lots of help. If your in game, send a tell to iamthor or Mavericktop. Guild leader is Sapphirah.

Iamthor / Mavericktop (Ralph)
    Avaire likes this.
  4. Wuddane Elder

Hello Avaire!

Once you decide what classes you are going for, look for me online (or send me an in game email)

I has candy
    Avaire likes this.
  5. Avaire New Member

Cheers everyone and thanks for the hospitality so far! Gonna go in reverse order : )

Characters decided on: Ranger, Mage, Enchanter, Druid. Mostly because of advice on the warrior and I really want to play a ranger. Other than a paladin I think that's the only class I really never touched from vanilla. I will still level a bard since they were my favorite back in the day, but that can wait.

Wuddane: I like candy! Usually not from white vans, but it's getting started in EverQuest. I can take risks. You haven't been online when I've checked today (so far) and I don't have All Access yet for mail. I will once my characters get a little higher. The character that I'm staring at the most is Avaire and I'll be keeping an eye out for you, thanks!

Iamthor: We met up, cheers!

Sandy: Thanks for the information! I took your advice to heart and did decide to drop the warrior for now. I don't really want to play an SK or a Shaman just because I've played them the most in the past, but I'm sure I'll level each eventually. I figure the ranger can pull and off tank (didn't know they were light tanks now) and I guess the other three speak for themselves. I will miss Shaman buffs, but it's cool... for now. Bard will be one of my first projects after I'm max level and established. Might level a Shaman with him as well.

Also thank you for some extremely helpful advice in game! I'm a failure with names without my friends list, but so much of it. I'm going to be very happy here.
  6. Vaeeldar Augur

Just going to comment I 6 box 3 different groups. I think the advice earlier had good intentions but I want to be a clear a Ranger is not a tank - it's a chain wearing DPS class (very similar rogues/berserkers) and while the ranger in a few eras in top gear can get by tanking is by no means a tank - especially in late game.

Just to be clear I have every class at level 110 (some multiple like ench/brd) except for a beastlord/rogue/range. They are my final 3 to play. I cycle characters a lot and while certain chars mix better I Don't mind playing a lesser group for diversity.

That being said you will not get by with a ranger as a tank in the late game. I'd recommend going back to war/ranger - ench/bard is fine personal preference. The druid is ok but frankly you'd be better off with a cleric or shaman. I'd go cleric because with that core 4box you can take on any content. The alternative is you can have the mage pet tank but you won't like that in the long run.
    Avaire likes this.
  7. Avaire New Member

Wuddane: Sorry I missed you in game. I've been watching to give you a proper thank you for your help, but haven't caught you online...sooo Thanks! I really appreciate it, so much ^_^

Thanks for the advice Vaeeldar!

I've spent the night researching again and thinking about what you've said.

I'm thinking Warrior/Enchanter for sure.

The only thing that I worry about with the Cleric is being pretty rusty and not very experienced in the past with boxing. Do they require a lot of attention at the moment? I do like the idea of finally playing a Cleric to higher levels.

I've done Shaman a lot prior, but one sure would add a lot of utility.

Also as much as I want a Ranger I am thinking about foregoing her temporarily and doing a Magician for a safety net while I learn.

The trinity War/Enc/Clr would be fun... in your experience (ignoring that I want to play a Ranger) what would you put there? I guess the chanter would suffice for a puller?

I played the aforementioned box some already, but not high enough to be stuck to it.

Thanks again to everyone for so much advice! Want to be stuck to my first team here soon and get to the fun.