Returning Player with lvl 60ish Characters (any class)

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Storm Cloud, Sep 15, 2018.

1. Storm Cloud New Member

Greetings All,

Like many before and more than likely after me, I am a returning player with characters that were max level when I left EQ, i.e. 60-65, and AAs in the 100 to 200 range, epic 1.0 and what was at one time a lot of Plat, maybe 1000.

With all the changes, Levels at 105, AA in the 1000s and a learning curve that will not quit here are my questions:

1. To get familiar with the class again should I roll a level 1 to refresh my memory etc. If so, how high should i level it before going back to the original character.

2. I've been trying to research the massive amounts of AAs/Equipment etc, would it better to just make my old characters Heroic and reap the levels to 85 along with all the AAs or is content on live now changed where AAs and levels come flying in?

3. Are there different paths I should take besides one of the two above?

******** New Subject ***

My Beastlord is 70, I swear it was only 65 when I quit (Born: Dec 2001) it seems they are still a good class to Solo with or with a Merc, guess that is what is now called Molo. Should the Merc be a Healer/Caster/Tank?

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

OK #1 - can you get your old account back? If yes then do so:) You will have full Veterans Rewards and full loyalty points. Although you can play free your AA are limited to 1000 or what ever you had before and you only have 4 character slots. You can buy more character slots with those loyalty points if your going to stay free (old returning accounts like yours are call Silver.)

It sounds like you can get it back. So at this point you can do what I did when I returned around the same level as you. I tried to play but was so lost - plus had to get my screens straightened out etc. So I promptly died many times and decided to make a little level 1 on a separate real free account. So I started in tutorial and looked at Alla under "glooming deep" then the "quest" listing and made sure I did every quest and didn't race thru. You get a free merc, haste stick and will learn other things. By the end of the tutorial (10 levels - 2 or 3 hours?)I felt I knew enough to:

bring on my level 65 character and blow off the dust. First thing I did was grab those AA from Auto Grant (I had gone paid by now - free accounts cannot use auto grant) and once again I was lost. You get EVERY AA for each level and that is a lot of AA to handle all at once. Great if your not going to use them and don't care what you have but I like to know what my class does.

I would not go Heroic since so much has changed since you left that it is easy to misunderstand "Heroic character" or Heroic stats or Heroic armor. It wont take long to learn the lingo. Play a bit then decide, there is no hurry.

Once you feel comfortable then head to POK and talk to Franklin Teek right outside the lobby. He will give you a quest(s) based on your level to go kill 5 mobs. If you only get one at a time then you have to wait til the timer expires to get another - usually the next day. So get the 2 below your level, your level and one above if he offers that one. Now these are not timed, they are hot zones so you get better exp and best of all you will get armor to upgrade your guys, some plat and there is always a level appropriate aug that drops in each zone - those might be prestige which you can't wear unless your a paid account.

WB and have fun. Dunno about the Beastlord. Most classes use a tank merc till around level 50 then which ever you want. Be careful of the caster mercs - they are pretty powerful and grab argo and die all the time. Mercs might be free in tutorial but as you level they will start costing - but there is much more plat in the game then there used to be. Don't buy new armor or weapons till much later if at all. So much drops you should not need to spend plat on that.
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  3. IblisTheMage Augur

Storm Cloud, welcome back to The Greatest Game Ever Made!

a) Which server are you on?
    b) How would you feel about finding a large "family styled" guild (meaning: they accept all levels, not just 110) on your server from the start? This could greatly enhance your returning experience, and I think you should consider it :)
    c) Now there is "Defiant" gear for characters leveling up in different versions, it it easily accessible, and significantly more powerful than the gear normally available. (I think it goes to lvl 85, not sure).
    d) Make sure to set 100% xp to leveling, Autogrant will net you 10k-13k depending on class, until lvl 100
    e) How do you feel about dragging around a bard set to play a set number of songs, on a second account? Even a Free To Play account bard will make life a lot more smooth for you (and if you are up to it, you can always autoattack, use it for track, split some camps, etc). ABAB - Always Bring A Bard :-D

Beastlords are excellent soloers. When you use a healer merc, you have to do two things:
    1) block slow heals! They will cast a slow heal (like Promised), and sit down and watch your pet die.
    2) Do the Mercenary upgrade quest when it becomes level appropriate, it is a single quest that can be done, maybe at 85? It takes half an hour-ish, you might need a guildie for muscle.

Good luck!
  4. snailish Augur

Replay 1-65 if that is fun for you but 1-50 in most classes is a speed race with the merc and you don't really learn the class that much, but this can be engaging if you are a true loner and/or like going slow (i.e., don't have to use the merc).

75+ a lot of abilities and things change or get added to the game. If you put "autogrant AA" on you will have more abilities given to each time you level.

I personally find 85 heroics kind of funny on a new class because the UI is very bloated and you have so many abilities on similar timers. Play a monk to 65 vs. make a heroic and it was way more stuff to try and understand. Very different for players that didn't leave for long stretches vs. a returning player. One nice thing about heroic is they are well-geared. You probably have something in /claim "gift of legacies lost" or such iirc.

However, join a family guild and let them know you are a returning player and you will get help/advice whether you play from 1, an old 70 or new heroic.

Welcome back.
  5. Storm Cloud New Member

Greetings Again,

Thank you folks for your timely and great replies. You know I have played so many MMOs since leaving EQ its not funny and the one thing I really never found was the lengths others would go to help a noob or even events like 4 or 5 Guilds wiping in The Plane of Fear doing corpse runs for each other. My current guild is like that, although they have moved on from EQ. So I salute you all for taking your time to reply.

I have gone through the tutorial about 7 or 8 times with different classes and remembering enjoying the ones I played way back when: Beastlord, Druid, Cleric and Shadow Nugget, err Shadow Knight :)

Catspaws: I will auto the AAs here in the next day or so. I want to see if I can find recommend AAs to upgrade unless doing the Auto AA assigns them for you and then its a no brainer, except for trying to figure out what the AA does for you. :)

Iblis the Mage: I am on Erollis Mar and it was funny to log in the other day and still have a guild tag from my old guild. I did a quick review on it and the last person in the guild to log in was 4 years ago, guess it is time to let it go and find another laid back family. I plan to Solo/Molo and not 2/3 box. There is the possibility of a friend joining me in EQ, a true Noob, and I can PL or just start an alt with them. Great Tip you gave me on Blocking Slow Heals, now to research how to do that, I did see an article on it and said OH... Defiant Gear is a must as well as finding all the spells I am missing and then putting together some macros.

Snalish: Thanks for you input. I may do both things, i.e. dust off the 70 Beastlord and restart another class from level 1. Either way I am in no rush and I got lots of maps to fill in I think, at least i don't have to stare at a book to med or face hell levels.

All your suggestions were helpful and if someone else comes along I am sure they will find some good info also.

For the Horde... oh wait, err...hummmm...... For Flippy Darkpaw :)
  6. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Sounds like you have a plan! Auto grant on AA is for paid accounts and you get no choice since you get every AA for that level when you reach that level be it 60 or 75 or 82 etc. The only AA you do not get are some tradeskill AA but you can earn those very quickly by doing HA's. About 10-20 AA per run.

For maps go to Brewells or Goods maps - should be easy to find links on those.