Returning player, start now or wait?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Aussieguy, Dec 14, 2021.

1. Aussieguy Lorekeeper

Hi,

It's been a while..

So I see there are a few TLP servers out there, been hearing a lot about the mischief server. As a returning player, is this server best suited for me?

How is the population going?
    Grouping still a thing at low levels? (I hate playing myself, gets lonely)
    If not the mischief server, any other recommendations? Or should I wait for the next TLP?

Thanks!
  2. ExecutionDbl9 Druid / Shadow Knight / Necromancer

Mischief is probably the server currently with the highest population.

It has a random loot ruleset, meaning you can get raid loot in any raid.

I, personally, play on Aradune. It's a bit older, it was last year's TLP, so the population is a little bit dwindled by now. But it still has a solid pop, gen chat is fairly active, I can typically get groups at my level, and I've found the community to be very friendly and helpful. I personally prefer Aradune, and have dabbled on Mischief a bit, but I've preferred the Aradune community.

I'm also a returning player, so I have a similar perspective.
  3. HoodenShuklak Augur

Grouping on all servers gets sparse by mid luclin and is almost strictly power leveling by POP.

The newest TLP is always the highest population unless you are Miragul-esque.

The thing with Mischief is the ruleset is really nice in that it's the first TLP that's fundamentally different. I have every reason to think it will have a robust population for another year. Once you get to around level 80 servers probably all struggle due to burnout and younger models coming out. The only thing that might really hurt Misc in the long term is a faster exp Misc. You can't ever rule things out because DBG gave us Coirnav and Miragul...
  4. Gheed Is not reading your response

Definitely disagree about there not being groups past luclin.. On Aradune during Omens of War there are multiple groups LFM in WoS and one in RSS as I type this (3am EST).

Mischief is the newest server and has free-trade with rare/raid monsters dropping "random" loot. If that appeals to you, check it out. However, from what I have seen on the forums and through streams, its a dumpster fire. Loot randomization is not even thought about until a week+ after expansions come out, devs then create "loot tiers" based on some silly spreadsheets that players have created. The ruleset promotes blatant hacking of all sorts, kill-stealing, GDKP guilds (lol), and overall a pretty selfish environment.

What do I know though, as I am sure someone will come and point out, I don't even play there :rolleyes:
  5. Penelo Lorekeeper

That guy doesn't even play there! Neither do I though. :D Another option is to wait until the next TLP which should be announced/up and running here in a few months if their current patterns hold.

As for leveling on either TLP you might struggle a bit to find a group, but if you are proactive a lot of times people have low level toons they will swap to or they will come around and buff you. Or you can snag damage shields/regens/temperance from PoK and just go out and semi-powerlevel yourself.

If you just put on /lfg and then complain that no one ever groups you will probably struggle on any server at this point and i'd just wait for a new TLP.
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

There is also the option of return now and play to get back into the game with the goal of moving to the next TLP server that launches. If you can get back up to speed before it launches it should improve your experience.
  7. generic Journeyman

wait, a new TLP is likely 3-5 months away.
    The best experience in levelling is to start at level 1 at the same time as everyone else. When a new TLP launches you get both the hardcore crowd and first timer TLPers.

If you go to mischief now, the group came is nonexistent under 65 and you'll likely be playing with boxers or paying someone to level you in the fastest way possible.
    Questioneer likes this.
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

No reason to not mess around now to get back into the game and be better prepared to start with the rest of the server. Can easily start as FTP on a live server playing through the tutorial a few times on various classes to figure out which way you want to go.
    Treage_Imminent likes this.
  9. ExecutionDbl9 Druid / Shadow Knight / Necromancer

Anecdotally, I am on Aradune, and only currently level 40, and for the most part I have been able to successfully find groups through my 20's and 30's. I'm not a power leveler by any means, and level 40 is the highest I have ever been in EQ, so I'm not even a max efficiency leveler or anything like that.
  10. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

Let me know if you start I think I may have one of those potions that summons a level 13 pet for a level 1. Toss it a 2h weapon and watch the madness of that pet swing to level 15.

Or someone else may have it they can toss you makes the early levels barrable if you are going to solo it.
  11. Rikantiz Lorekeeper

That's not true. I'm a returning player as well and have been on mischief for about a month. There's been groups a plenty all the way from FoB right up until my 40s. You just need to be pro active with it. Hell, I didn't even need to be in my 20s. PuGs are everywhere, I found myself getting random invites all the time without even asking
    hooplebogart likes this.
  12. HoodenShuklak Augur

Leveling groups get sparse as the TLP's advance, it's never absent, but it's also never like it is when you're with the crowd. If you choose to play on the newest TLP, that's always probably your safest bet to get groups.

I wouldn't let lack of newbie groups preclude you from joining Misc TLP -- it's probably the best TLP to get newbie groups, and by a lot, relatively speaking.
    hooplebogart likes this.
  13. Nolrog Augur

There is still plenty of time. Thornblade and Mischief are just in POP and there are a lot of people creating various Vah Shir to play with or will be as they get through a lot of the POP progression. Gear drops like crazy so you should not have any trouble finding stuff cheap or even free. I see a lot of people just giving stuff away on Thornblade all the time.