Returning player new monk

Discussion in 'Melee' started by Arcabash, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Arcabash New Member

As a new monk i didn't start at 85 instead I started at 1 and I am currently 59 I was wondering what skills should I be using for maximum dps as well as what aas do I go for first thanks in advance as I cant seem to find the guide for monk anymore

Arcabash Quickfist of Bristlebane
  2. Thrillho Augur

Most guides out there mainly focus on the newer abilities (post-Underfoot). Mainly because the oldest stuff we have is from Underfoot - Drunken Monkey & Ironfist (I think? Or is that HoT?). This stuff will start at level 80 (I think?)

The good news is you're going to be a pretty knowledgeable monk by the time you get to where you need to be. Instead of getting all of these abilities to you automatically by going Heroic, you'll get new abilities every level (discs as well as AAs) and you'll be able to learn exactly what they do. Having said that, I would still auto-grant AAs if I were you. There are way too many to grind through (max is ~24,000). Most of them are passive, and every once in a while you'll get a new one that will help you out. But again, these will come in level-by-level instead of all at once, so you'll be in good shape to learn what they do.

Hold out as long as you can - the current guides become applicable at 85ish.
  3. Arcabash New Member

What if your f2p cause if your not all access you cant use auto grant aas
  4. Thrillho Augur

I think basic F2P gets something like 100 AAs, and Silver F2P gets 1000.

Critical ones for a monk would be anything relating to mend or FD. Those are going to keep you alive. Alive means more DPS :).

Personally, I would bite the bullet and buy a subscription for 1 month (or burn a krono) just to max out your possible AAs. Returning back to Silver doesn't remove AAs, it just won't let you get anymore since you'll be well above the limit. I'm not sure how many AAs there are that get autogranted for a monk at 105, but my bard was over 10k. I would expect monks to be around the same. Considerably more than the 1k free you get. Plus, while your subscription is still on, you can grind out as many of the non-autogrant ones as you can. You would want to do this at a point where you would get the most bang for your buck - ideally level 105, but getting to 105 without plenty of AAs already is going to be difficult. Maybe you'd have to do it in two sets - one at 85ish, another at 100ish?
  5. Arcabash New Member

So 18.00 is a chrono how much plat would that cost lol
  6. Thrillho Augur

Depends on the server. I think most servers now are 2mil+ each.
  7. Arcabash New Member

bristlebane and wow 2 mil
  8. Arcabash New Member

Ok so I just hit 60 what is the best rotation for my monk trying to maximize my dps to kill faster please help me all the other things in here are 85 and above and it doesn't help me
  9. Phrovo1 Augur

in general all I can say at that level range is innerflame>hundred fists and ashenhand>thunderkick. The in-game descriptions for ashenhand and silentfist are wrong, from silentfist onward all discs on that timer effect the damage of fk, tc, es, etc
  10. Arcabash New Member

ok so i have another question as a F2P i only get 250 aa's where should i focus i feel i have spent aa's in the wrong place i can give you all a breakdown but im wondering if im going the wrong direction im afraid i may have screwed my character up
    A bit of guidance would be appreciated
  11. Brohg Augur

Your 250 AA will not cover any facet of your character sufficiently as you level up. All classes eventually need thousands. The solution is to go as far as you feel you can push it, then subscribe for a month (via a krono or via $15) to fill in AA during that time. You will still benefit from those AA once the month runs out, you just won't be able to earn more above the cap..
  12. Arcabash New Member

ok with that being said where do i start so far i have spent 18 innate runspeed 3 combat fury 2 rapid feign 1 technique of master wu 2 and have 21 more to spend i feel as if my dps is lacking and i even have my epic 1.5 and am lvl 70
  13. Arcabash New Member

with where my aa's are right now did i screw up
  14. Thrillho Augur

It's quite difficult to say which AAs to go for when you can only spend 250. There's always going to be something lacking. There's always going to be logic for going with one AA over another.

As mentioned above, I'd suggest going Gold for a month and turning on auto-grant. It'll give you all the AAs available to you up until CotF (I think). Once the membership lapses, you go down to Silver and you'll be able to keep all of the AAs you've already earned. You won't be able to add any more until you go back to Gold, unless you're below 1000 (the cap for Silver, and it's unlikely you'll be below it).

Obviously the higher level you are the more AAs you're going to get, so if you're wanting to reduce the amount of money you spend on membership you're going to want to get as high of a level as possible. Unfortunately, the higher level you are the more difficult it will be to survive in some dungeons. Keep in mind that AAs started in Velious, so any content beyond that is more or less expecting you to have AAs to survive.

Having said all that, I usually tell newer monks to make sure they have their survivability AAs in check. Anything relating to mend and feign death (including imitate death) is going to keep you alive longer. Dead DPS is no DPS, so while you can improve your overall DPS with AAs, you might not be able to survive long enough to dish it out.
  15. Brohg Augur

this is false
  16. Brohg Augur

Luclin, but the sentiment is valid. You're "supposed to have" CA/CS3 in PoP, for instance.
  17. Thrillho Augur

It is? I've got a F2P bard I burned a krono on to get his AAs, and the account is Silver now.

Right, Luclin. I remember grinding out AAs in Velks Lab, figured it was Velious that brought the AAs in.
  18. Brohg Augur

Whether or not your account gets Silver depends on the age of the account, it's not something you can reliably advise someone currently on a Bronze account about
  19. Thrillho Augur

Huh, that's news to me. Good to know. Thanks! I guess my bard's account is older than I thought.
  20. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

You really can't go wrong with Auto-Grant, and when that ends you will still have thousands and thousands of AA points worth of abilities that you will need to earn. I believe at 105 I had about 9300 AA's, all from Auto-Grant. I've spent about 900 since then and I'm just getting started. Trying to live within the F2P limits for AAs will lead to frustration.

What should you be doing when F2P? Leveling
    What should you do when content gets too hard at your level? Subscribe for a month
    What to do while subscribed? Level more

There is basically no point before 100 where working on AA's makes sense and by that point you can't earn more without being subscribed anyway. I'd say before 105, but most of the important Auto-Grant stuff comes by 100. You will get a few things at 101 and 102, etc. but not the important stuff.