returning player, nec + 2/3?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Bashiok Crownguard, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Bashiok Crownguard Augur

I've played on and off since the last hotzone change. I have access to 3 heroic characters. I've played ffxiv/wow/gw2 and d3/poe in the interim.

My goal is to hit 100 or 105 while duo'ing with a necromancer he's 60ish leveling without a merc. Secondary goal is to be able to get him his 2.0/2.5 with limited to no outside help. I did the trio fight with my war/bard/shaman at 85.

My only limitation is that I cannot pick the same class (necromancer) and that I'm not really that good at boxing. The hardest stuff I ever did was just various HA's on sham/war from 85-90 using VP for cc and sometimes inconspicuous totem + VP for 3 pulls. I tried not to spam into the hills but some of the other HA's were prohibitive in their difficulty (red cons etc)

My initial pick was beastlord +1, which I asked someone who would go good with a beastlord, and was told by anzo of bristlebane that a bard would compliment a beastlord, and which also would buff a necromancer by a fair amount. However, some drawbacks I can foresee is that for later content, it is possible that the beastlord would be a liability in being unable to provide full dps due to ripping agro from the J5 tank. I'm also not really that fond of beastlord to be honest, the constant mashing of 5 nukes (1 button) along with melee stuff (1 button) doesn't seem to be fulfilling to me. I also tried doing the OBF hotzone quest and I know if I took it slow (single pulls) it wouldn't matter but I was tracking down dragorns randomly then trying to kill them then invis after. One spot I kept attracting adds and the J5 tank merc went down rather fast. I never had a problem in this zone on my warrior/sham/bard combo. Also, no one is selling fantastic leather templates on my server so I can't pick up the voa t1 armor.

Also I am trying to hunt down metallic liquid for bard and it seems really bad, but not as inane as waiting underwater for 37 minutes for shaman 1.0.

After browsing the forums, there is a lot of talk about the state of necromancers not being able to contribute to groups at high end, as well as necromancers requiring a lot of attention but neither are that priority to me. My friend wanted to use higher level gear eventually but from what I understand, necromancers are required to use their 2.0 exclusively.

My second option it seems like people are really excited about mage/enchanter. I am wondering how not having a bard would impact the necromancer. I don't know much about enchanter other than they are able to lock things down and buff stuff with twincast/mana recursion and the like. Also it seems like having a 100 mage would enable me to powerlevel anything I want once it hits 70. It seems like a "powergamer" choice though.

The classes I want to play, but don't think have synergy with necromancer compared to mage/bard, etc:

1) 85 cleric, I love everything about them.
    2) 82 paladin, I got 1.5 with a lot of help and 1.0 as well, not playing paladin feels like I'm not complete. even a coa bp/j5 merc. bought all the 85 and 92 weapons, however I heard that all the tanks got hit with nerfs recently (paladins hit hardest?)?
    3) 90 war/sham, have sham 1.5 but I've heard various things about shaman's on various threads such as anemic dot damage, boring playstyle (surge/gift/etc), leopard going from good spell to not good at all
  2. Bashiok Crownguard Augur

I did find the metallic liquid and I was pleasantly surprised at how much plat I did get from that area.
  3. sifonin Augur

Hey man. I main a necro. I created a bard box that has turned into my favorite group player. Necro+bard is a great combo in the end game. If you add a magician and enchanter to this group you are only missing a Druid to complete my favorite dps group.