Returning Player, Enchanter question.

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Stailther, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Stailther New Member

Hello I'm a returning player after many many years. I quit shortly after PoP and have not played any past that. I've recently tried the TLP servers but decided to log on my old server aas well. My question is regarding enchanter and charming. Is it still a viable way to level? Did charm ever receive a massive nerf? Does one have to reverse charm now? How do healing mercs fit in with charmed pets? I wont be boxing another character just leveling my enchanter who is only lvl 20. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!
  2. gotwar Gotcharms

1) Yes
    2) Sorta
    3) No
    4) Optional
  3. Nylrem Augur

1 - Yes, you can definitely level by charm soloing all the way to the highest levels. Some levels are easier (those right after a new charm spell so you can charm higher level mobs, essentially) but if you're ok with slower xp, all levels can be charm solo'd.

2 - Charmed mobs no longer do the DPS they used to at higher levels, they're capped. That is the nerf. However, they drop haste automatically when charm fades now, and chanters have tremendous utility and abilities now at higher levels that makes charming trivial compared to the danger that it used to be.

3 - No, you do not have to reverse charm, however, learning to do so can gain massive xp in very short amounts of time. At higher levels, averaging 20sec kills versus 1 min kills, as an example... 300% increase in kill speed/xp gain is fairly significant.

4 - You'll have to experiment with healer merc or not at each level/mob & pet type. Essentially, if your pet can withstand the damage, then it's probably not worth the xp loss from the healer merc. Charmed pets still heal themselves fast, when out of combat, so if you can solo without the healer, then it'll most likely be better xp.
  4. Stailther New Member

Thank you so much for the replies! Looking forward to just taking it slow and relearning the game. Going through some older zones for nostalgia