Returning player debating between live or TLP

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Tinolien, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Tinolien Journeyman

The only real play time i will get is sporadic bursts while at work. Which means I’m doomed to a very solo experience

In this circumstance, what’s the advantage of a TLP vs a live server?
  2. Damezza Augur

I think the difference is less now that all the good TLP are older. I think it only matters if you plan on raiding endgame as it’s quicker to get endgame on a TLP. But this is all guessing hahah
  3. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

TLP's are based on nostalgia more than anything else. They lack many/most of the quality of life changes that have been added to the Live servers over the last 20 years, but enough has been changed that you can never really get the "original" EQ experience. TLPs are best experienced when they are brand new and everybody is the same level. A new TLP server is generally released every year in the spring, and I consider them to be "flavor of the year" servers.

It has been my experience that the TLP player-base is more opinionated (about how the game is supposed to be played) and less friendly (more likely to grief each other) than Live server populations. Because important loot in early EQ is tradeable (unlike more recent expansions), players are encouraged to monopolize important mobs for their loot, which they then sell to players for Kronos (AKA, real-life money). This can make it very frustrating to complete quests or gear up your toon, especially for casual players.

From what you describe, I think a Live server would be a far better choice for you. It is a more enjoyable solo experience: instead of being dumped naked in a lonely noob zone without any real direction, you have access to a great tutorial and Hero's Journey tracked quests that guide you. You will also level up much faster and have access to mercenaries that will make your solo journey much easier and, again, much more enjoyable! There is almost no incentive for griefing on Live servers and the population is generally more friendly and helpful.

If I were new, I would choose the most populated Live server I could find (I'm on Bristlebane and it is great). And even if I intended to mostly play solo, I would join the largest casual (non-raiding) guild I could find. Other people are a great resource and, later on, they will probably be the main reason you play the game.
  4. alexander97 Lorekeeper

should start on live until next tlp comes round that's what you want so you can start with a new amount of these people
  5. Lagerale Journeyman

So as a returning (played at launch through like 2005 and a few time off and on since, not sure if I’ll get my old acct back but won’t really matter I’ll start level 1 anyway) would BB or another live server be your choice and is their a good active casual guild you’d recommend? I’m downloading the game now I’ll start tonight or probably tomorrow.
  6. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

Great to hear and welcome :) I would certainly recommend Bristlebane as a server. I would jump into the tutorial, which will probably keep you busy for hours and get you somewhere between level 10-15 (with some solid gear too).

As for guilds, Dark Reign is an old favorite casual guild, but I know there are several new-ish casual/family guilds that advertise in the /general chat channel. I'd recommend asking in /general (chat channel) for any guilds that would help out a new player. You probably won't have any shortage of people that want to help get you started :)
  7. Lagerale Journeyman

Thank you for the tips and I’ll be working on this tomorrow (if I do now I’ll get no sleep I know it lol) and I still need to figure out what class I really want to start with.