returning/new player

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Tauriehl, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Tauriehl Journeyman

hi everyone! i am a returning player but am also very new to most of the content on the game. i was wondering what all i can do as a free to play player with the basic game i have all expansions up to rain of fear i believe unlocked.

also what would be a good class that i can have fun with: my idea of fun is not dieing being able to survive and solo as well as find a good community or group. being decent to very good dps and as always being melee.

i normally play a warrior type or a melee dps or sorts.

my goal in a game is to level/achieve getting gear and levels or aa's soloing if possible to do such as well as group when i can find one and enjoy others company as well as play alone on my terms when i can. something fairly simple to learn and fairly easy to play and gear.
  2. Roxxanna Augur

1) Choose a server
    2) Find a family guild
    3) Try them all

With a merc, it's easy street till 50-60.
  3. Tauriehl Journeyman

ok, thanks. but what about after 60. and as free to play what all can i do.
  4. Roxxanna Augur

After 60 as a free to play it gets a bit harder, but I went all the way to 80. After that, sadly, it realistically requires all access, a J5 merc, or help from guildies. We have a guildie that made to to 100 as a FTP, with terrible gear even.
    Felicite likes this.
  5. Gundolin Augur

I agree with Roxanne, as always. With a FTP account you can get to the 80s with the basic merc but you'll need to keep your merc and toon raid buffed each night. Keep your toon logged in, in the guild lobby or in front of Teak depending on server when you aren't playing it, and that should get you through about level 80. Once you hit this level your going to have to find groups, but as Roxanne pointed out you should be able to find groups more easily with a good guild.

One thing about warriors - IMHO they are the most gear dependent class in the game. I think playing a straight warrior on a FTP account may be one of the hardest choices. A pure caster would be an easier choice if you are staying FTP.

Somewhere around level 85-90 I'd go ahead and pay for a subscription for 1 month. The $16 or so fee is a small price to pay for the fun of the game AND you will be able to auto generate thousands of AAs which should stay with your toon even after you revert to a Silver account.
  6. Ardenan Quelthos New Member

Hey guys,

So out of sheer curiosity and an odd conversation with friends last night I did the same thing and am in the midst of account recovering with Daybreak just to see what even exists with this game now. Both of my accounts had my main characters in Povar, back when the cap was I THINK 60 or 65 and then you had that extra EXP type that could be used to unlock bonus traits like expanded regeneration, damage, skills, etc.

Got through onto the Povar server with one account, and really couldn't find anyone around. Still fixing the display settings so the game is actually playable, but is Povar basically a dead server now? Is there a way to migrate onto a more lively server if anything just to have fun with it?

Thanks all!
  7. Borek-VS Augur

You are possibly looking in the wrong places - most activity is in the Guild Lobby or in the Plane of Knowledge, near the entrance to the GL. Ready portals to everywhere from Guild Halls have changed how the population distributes itself; and most characters you will see are 85+, perhaps popping on for a short burst of hot zone quests rather than grinding, then in instances for Heroic Adventures and raids.

Polar is one of the quieter of the normal servers - Xegony, Cazic-Thule, Bertoxxulous, and the two new TLP servers are busier most of the time.

You can always roll a character just to check the population levels, and level it up quickly with a merc if you like the change of server.
  8. Tauriehl Journeyman

so my best bet is to play something like wiz, ench, mage, necro? what about bstl?
  9. Tauriehl Journeyman

also if i choose one of the casters or bstl what mercs do i use
  10. Ardenan Quelthos New Member

Plane of Knowledge and Guild Lobby are all new places/things to me, neither existed before I left the game. Mind filling me in on how to get to either?
  11. Borek-VS Augur

Then you left before Planes of Power, which introduced PoK.

To get there, in each of the newbie zones (e.g. Butcherblock, GFay, Qeynos, etc) there are large stones looking like books on a lectern. Click on one, and you will be in the Plane of Knowledge.

If you need maps, you can download them from mapfiend.net, and install them in your Everquest/maps directory. Some are provided, but these are more extensive. See also the links in my sig.
    Felicite likes this.
  12. Borek-VS Augur

Mage and necro let you play the game easily, at all levels, and can solo most content (even without a merc, although mercy become more important at higher levels).

If you want to stick with melee characters, then monk, beastlord, and ranger can all work - but will require mercs sooner, and will level slower overall. Both shadowknight and paladin are easier to play than warriors, although they too need more attention paid to gear.

Always use a tank merc for the first 50-70 levels. After that, it can be useful to buy extra merc slots, so that you can always have healer buffs available, and can switch between caster damage, tank and healer merc types. I'd use a healer with a magician, caster with a necro, and healers with most of the rest once you are at higher levels. But you can switch around to meet the needs of a group.
  13. kraggnar Elder

Get on your favorite toon/server. Earn plat. buy kroon in bazaar. go all access with auto grant aa's on. After that whenever you can afford another krono do it again.

Those aa's will make a huge difference in what you can do and where you can go.
  14. Graymane84 Journeyman

As an F2P player, your level max will be 100 and in a few weeks, you will have all expacs up to and including CotF. Right now, you most likely end at RoF. You can go F2P with little ill effect I'd say till 75 when DSH starts not being good exp. What is going to kill you are the autogrant AA that All Access players get. Essentially, if you are All Access, you don't have to grind AA till your 90s because the game gives you all of the previous ones except for TS AAs. If you are F2P as melee, I have no idea how you are going to level without grinding AAs as you won't be able to tank anything. You will be ok with gear until 80s with defiant, but you won't be able to use prestige gear. As a tank, you'll basically be gimped.

If you do decide to go that route (and I have 3 F2P accounts and one paid), get to level 85 and then buy a month All Access. That will give you autogranted AAs. I might wait till next expac comes out and you should get autogrants till 90 I think. It you would be good if you can get into a guild to help you. You might get lucky and someone can PL you from 75-85 on one of the double XP weekends. Believe me, 75-85 sucks balls with F2P accounts. Save your XP pots for then as well. At 75 you can group with a 105 and they can take you to valley or somewhere like that.
  15. Borek-VS Augur

You currently get auto grant AAs to 90. In a few hours the new expansion (The Broken Mirror) will be out, and you should be getting AAs to 95 (from RoF), and the CotF HAs will be Avila le to help levelling from 75 up for F2P.
  16. Borek-VS Augur

Up to and including VoA, not RoF. And is CotF now available for F2P?