Returning for the free TLP

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Deadshade, Apr 15, 2020.

1. Tweakfour17 Augur

For the most part Coinav and Phinny did, minor tweaks such as the lack of focus effects until Luclin or starting xp rate not withstanding.
  2. Pazuzu New Member

did they also have a mass influx of returning EQ players who have no previous TLP experience? If you play Mangler, you would know this is true.
  3. Rebelicious Augur

If I'm unhappy just go? Haha I left like 15 years ago... I came back for Agnarr, then Coirnav and once Mangler opened I left again. Came back for the free TLP and nostalgia since I'm an original Sullon Zek pvp server native... I can stay where I like, go when I like and as a boomer, rich enough to sub any and all MMOs that catch my fancy. Not to mention I inherited about 10 EQ accounts when the original crew fled the ship back in the day...
  4. Rebelicious Augur

Why? I'm pretty sure I single-handedly funded at least part of these broken servers. Back in the day people were always complaining about Verant, haha before they complained about Soe... and now, it's poor DB's turn. Let's be honest tho... the downtime is a bit over the top... so is churning out new TLP after new TLP... would be nice if they had a dedicated and devoted team which poured their hearts and earnings into making the game the industry leader it once was... but that's nostalgia for you.
  5. Bullsnooze Augur

Mangler is not Phinigel 2, it's really a newer ruleset.

The only thing Mangler and Phinigel have in common is they are both 'true box' and I think the unlocks are the same.

The key differences is that,
    • Phinigel started in classic and has its own slower rate of experience.
    • Mangler started in Kunark and has an experience that of Ragefire.
  6. Dilf Augur

I definitely agree that attrition will happen. This happens on every server. The rate of which it happens is based on if a new TLP drops that make people want to leave and the current expansion that the server is on. I would not say Mangler is a Phinny clone, but it is similar. More like a truebox Ragefire with AoC's. Coirnav is an exact clone launched at a poor time in between everything. It was only popular early on for the krono traders and RMT'ers that keep coming back.
  7. Dilf Augur

Mangler too started in Classic. The exp was decent enough that people could casually have multiple 50s going into Kunark, unlike Phinny.
  8. Tweakfour17 Augur

I believe the ruleset that phinny uses and the TLPs that are called Phinny clones or Phinny 2.0/3.0 is
    -Truebox
    -Agent of Change raid instancing
    -Expansion unlocks of 8/12 weeks depending on if there is a level bump or not.

Each server then had tweaks to it that such as Agnarr ending in LDoN or Mangler not having focus effects. They also all had a different starting xp rate.
  9. Bullsnooze Augur

Ahh I see and, I thought Mangler started in Kunark?! Gues not, my bad!
  10. Tweakfour17 Augur

/agree that Coirnav had the least amount of tweaks to it from the standard "Phinny" ruleset. I suppose it was meant for the people who complained they wanted slow xp so they could go at their own pace and see the zones or w/e. With 2 new TLPs launching in Classic I think the rulesets would have to be absolutely terrible for Mangler to not get hit hard, they could make an exact Coirnav clone and Mangler would still take a pop beating.
  11. Deadshade Augur

I am afraid you have a reading problem.
    I didn't say I wanted ANYBODY to "level" me.
    I said that I wanted to play in groups and go on adventure with other people aka "not playing alone".

As for the 2-3 months I can explain (and I don't see what it has to do with WoW)
    I belong to the hundreds of thousands of the silent majority who started to play EQ in 99 and we like to return to the places which left such good memories like people return to the places of their childhood which they didn't see for years.
    The goal is not rush to the "end game", it is to walk around, revisit, have some adventures, do some quests and meet some other people of the same mindset.
    But after a few weeks or months the nostalgy effect stops working and only a routine grind is left (weekly raids and such) so that we leave again.
    It is not "planned", it just happens.

OK, so now I see Mangler is up and I am going to create my favorite Gnome Enchanter and visit my old friend Ambassador D'vinn :)
  12. Protagonist Tank

You made characters on a prison server and an XP penalty server. Did you really believe either one of those gimmicks was going to result in a long term stable population?
  13. code-zero Augur

IIRC free to play TLP ends on May 8 so there's no more than 3 weeks of play time there. I can't see the draw of playing 3 weeks free and then paying for at least 60 more days if you weren't coming back anyway
  14. p2aa Augur

15. Tweakfour17 Augur

Coirnav has higher XP than Mangler now so I guess you'll have an excuse for why Mangler becomes a ghost town sometime later this year =)
  16. Dilf Augur

You're comparing Mangler's exp during PoP era to TSS? era for Coirnav? Hahaha. Apples and oranges, but Coirnav is still dead.
  17. Tweakfour17 Augur

PoR, but close enough. Coirnav is slow, I'll admit, Mangler's time is coming *shrug* circle of life...
  18. Deadshade Augur

I think you are right.
    I just did my first 4 levels, visited Faydark, Commonlands, Crushbone, Fields of Bone, Qeynos hills.
    Admittedly it is not (US) prime time, but all were depressingly empty.
    So I think that the server is already much too top heavy and my principal target to have fun in some grouping at low level can't be met.

Thanks to all who gave advice, it was appreciated.
  19. Tweakfour17 Augur

Yeah the amount of time the low level game is very active is quite short on TLP sadly