Returning '99 Player Looking For the Full Chanter Solo Charming experience!

Discussion in 'Casters' started by DoubleA, Jun 23, 2017.

1. DoubleA New Member

I haven't played in 15 years and when I did I was always a monk, SK, wiz, necro, mage, or bard! I always wanted to try an Enchanter but it was much too daunting for me at the time.

I'd love to jump into the game, make a Chanter and do all the cool things that Chanters do! I want Illusions, I want Clarity, I want to Charm solo!

Is Charm soloing still a thing? I thought I'd read that Charming gets nerfed higher up or is pretty much non-existant. Do Chanters ever Charm during raids, or are their main roles Mezzing and keeping Clarity up?

Can anyone recommend a server that might fit me best? Would I be better suited for a Project 99 or server?

Thank you very much for all the help!
  2. fransisco Augur

tlp servers will see groups wanting enchanters to do more CC. And charm adds alot of dps to a group.
    On live, CC isn't needed as much due to tanks being kind of OP. In kunark gear, they can handle several adds and just keep chugging.
  3. Chaosflux Augur

Charm and reverse charm soloing are viable.

Project 99 is a toxic shithole. It's great if you like environments like that & classic EQ.

EQ on live is a game that is quite different in the current era from how it was when you last played, the TLP, P99, or P2002 might be more what you are looking for, but each has its set of problems and BS to slug through.

Give all of them a try?
  4. DoubleA New Member

Is Agnarr the name of the TLP? I'm not a fan of toxicity. How much more different is EQ live? I'd like to be where a lot of activity is and find a decent guild. How is Zek the PvP server? PvP is of big interest if possible.
  5. EnchFWO Augur

Agnarr is the most recent of many TLP servers available. They all have different rulesets (or different expansion unlock schedules). Most of this information can be found in a sticky in the TLP forums. There has definitely been much more complaining about server toxicity but I've also learned a lot of people on TLP just have bigger mouths than Live. Then again I'm biased as I have a negative opinion of it in general.

The big difference between TLP and Live is probably the ability to group as you level up (you'll rarely find groups at lower levels. This is a non-issue really since you can charm solo your way up to the levels where there is adequate population (if you want to group - again you can get max level/AA soloing but I imagine it would get kindof lonely). Several servers are much more active than other live servers; there was just a thread about this in the Vet lounge actually. I'd do a little detective work and lookup guilds and see which are appealing. If you want to raid then Xegony and Bristlebane are a good choice and have high populations in general.

EQ PvP is (supposedly) horrible and for all intents kindof dead. This is based on the numerous Zek server posts that pop up every few months on the forum. I would avoid completely as it's also known to be toxic and people not playing fairly. Guild choice is also pretty limited.

My 2cp. I'm sure others may have different opinions. Most of the Enchanters here are pretty helpful so I'd search these forums or post more questions.