Resist Buffs on MERCS or PETS??

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by bobokatt, Aug 22, 2022.

1. bobokatt Augur

Would anyone know if there is ANY benefit to cast any of the many resist buffs on PETS or Mercs?(saying this as a 120 main toon with max aa/resists). I supose I am asking are the resists we have as an acual PC transferred over to our MERCS or... pets mainly? Just trying to figure out if it's even worth a buff slot (mainly for mercs as they are limited). Pets heck whatever anyone wants to cast on them, have at it!! Just wanted to know if Pets or mercs take adavantage of any of the resist buffs.
    Cheers.
  2. Iven the Lunatic

Resists cannot be transferred but casted as resistance buffs on pets and mercs. They do help them. Pets may require a single target buff depending on the unlocked AAs. There is a mercenary AA line for mercenary only resistance boni.
  3. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

Pets assume the resists of their owner. I learned this when trying to pet tank Xolok the Blind in RoF expansion. Beefing up my necro's corruption resists allowed the pet to resist most of his nukes and effectively tank him.

Mercs do not assume the resists of their owner. They benefit from resist buffs.
  4. Iven the Lunatic

Fascinating. It could mean that pets can be double buffed, could you confirm that Xyroff-cazic ? I just casted Thwart Corruption on the pet and on the PC and they do take hold on both targets.
  5. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

I am less certain about this part, but I believe how it works is the pet assumes the owner's unbuffed resists at the time of summoning (gear/augs count, but +resist buffs on the owner do not). Then the pet can be buffed with regular resist spells. So if a pet and owner have the same resist buffs on them, they effectively have the same resists - no double dipping for resist buffs on the pet.