Research, spell acquisition on Agnarr

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by jawgoat, Apr 25, 2017.

1. jawgoat New Member

Been gone since OOW, coming back for the Agnarr server. Decided to roll as Wizard only because I never did that back in the day and always wanted to. So, I saw something in FAQ about Spell Research but didn't really understand it.

My question is, as a new and completely out-of-the-loop player, what should my strategy be on coming back and spell acquisition? I got no problems with Research and would love to take that up but it looks like Research has changed a great deal. Is there a definitive word on what system should be focused on and is there an up to date online skill path that will be relevant for the new server? I realize I could look this up myself but the wording of the FAQ got me confused on what the system would be on Agnarr...new, old, both, what???

Alternatively, as I never played a Wiz (or any caster) in my Live days, is it even worth the bother to raise Research or just farm plat and buy? FYI- my plans are group or casual raid guild if I find one casual enough for my uber-casual lifestyle.

Thanks!
  2. Gidono https://everquest.allakhazam.com

Research was nerfed not long ago for progression servers. Basically you won't be able to make spells until 3 expansions after the spell came out.
  3. Baldur Augur

Research is the new system and is now only viable in classic on TLPs. They nerfed the crap out of it so you can't research any other spells in era.

I will say it's super easy to make your spells in classic. It takes very low points to make your spells even up to 50 with the new system and there aren't class specific research drops anymore. You can use a hide to make any classes spells.

Basically the new system is any humanoid caster mob can drop a hide. It's level based, so 15-19 level casters drop hides used to make 15-19 spells. 20-24 casters drop hides to make 20-24 spells, etc. Raw hide, raw fine hide, raw supple hide, etc.

http://www.almarsguides.com/eq/Tradeskills/progression/expansions/Classic/Research/

That's a decent guide, but it's hard to get crystallized sulfur at lower levels. Definitely make the vial of pure water to 54. I'd link some stuff from eqtraders, but it seems to be down right now.
  4. Baldur Augur

So if they did this to classic spells they'll fix it right after launch because the only way to get research only spells in classic is by crafting them.

It's safe to assume the classic spells will be researchable in era and if they aren't they'll fix it so they are. But any expansions after that won't be. It's still worth researching your spells in classic IMO.
  5. jawgoat New Member

Dam you guys are quick! Great info and I'll look into this new system...I reckon if it gets me Ice Comet it'll be worth it :)
  6. Machentoo Augur

You have unwarranted faith in the dev team. It is not safe to assume they will fix anything. Especially when what you hope they will "fix" was actually a deliberate change/nerf on their part. Working as intended, nothing to see here, move along.
    PathToEternity and Galleyan like this.
  7. Machentoo Augur

Except it won't, until PoP or so...
  8. Troubadurix Lorekeeper

So basically bards can use research to get their songs too, instead of going to the merchant to buy them? Or how does it work? Never tried this research thing before...
  9. Deadshade Augur

I have been out of loop for years too .
    What was that nerf ? Any link ?
  10. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

There's several pretty necessary spells in classic that are research only. Chanter AE mez + some necro/mage pets come to mind. I'm sure there's plenty of others as well. I can't say for sure whether or not the big research nerf affected these spells or not, but it would be a pretty big oversight if it did. The relevant patch notes are here https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...te-notes-january-18-2017.237833/#post-3497890, but all it says is:

-Many spell Research recipes are now restricted to an expansion at least three expansions after the spell itself is available.

So "many" but not necessarily all. I'd say Baldur is probably correct it would be fixed somewhat soon after Agnarr launch if those spells have been marked as unresearchable until Luclin+.

As for skilling it up, the only roadblock early on is collecting hides. The vendor supplies are all very inexpensive. From 0-35 make Quill of the Arcanist/Arch Convoker/Arch Lich/Coercer depending on your class. Keep all of them. Then make Vial of Pure Water 36-54, keep all of those as well. You use the vials to craft your own inks. It's cheaper than buying inks directly from the vendors. Then just start making spells as your supply of hides allows. You can make decent plat selling the lvl 16 AE mez + some other research only spells to people that are too lazy to skill it up. And generally groups won't mind if you "Need" on hides as they drop, since they are useless to non-researchers and vendor for next to nothing.
  11. Deadshade Augur

I don't understand that .
    If the spell is available (e.g can be bought or drops), then this just means that research is useless because it makes no sense to research a spell 3 expansions later when everybody is far above the level when the spell would have been used .
  12. PathToEternity pathtoeternity.pro

I'm sorry but your answer must be in the form of a question.
  13. Polekn Augur

It sucks that research is useless again, but it was stupid how easy it was to make any spell of the same level, regardless of it's rarity before they nerfed it.
  14. Barudin_Phinigel Augur

Lol pretty much this. Everyone who can cast RGC having RGC as luclin drops was funny.
  15. Gremin Augur

The nerd was in regards to spells above the level cap for that severy current expansion OR if a spell is under the current lvl cap but in a future expansion it's locked away until 3 expansions after its release.

Agnarr researchers will have no issues researching current expansion spells.
  16. Accipiter Old Timer

I have done research on Phinny. My advice: Buy the spells you need from one of the spell research tradeskillers who specialize in this. There were a couple on Phinny. One even had a Google Doc spreadsheet with current prices (it's gone now).
    Felicite likes this.