Request - More Bags that can only hold one specific item Type

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Mediik, Jul 18, 2020.

1. Greymantle Augur

The issue in not the type of bags availble. They 'probably' have the ability to create item specific types in more than just collectables and t/s items. The problem is storage, each bag and their contents comsumes a block of data storage. They only have a fixed amount dedicated to items in storage. That's why there are limits on bank items, and house storage etc. I like the concept but it's not going to be a priority i am thinking.
  2. Darchon_Xegony Augur

Rather than item only bags, I would much prefer the ability to handle autoinventory sorting.

Whenever you autoinventory an item, either through using advanced looting, dropping an item in the center of your inventory, using bandolier or using /autoinventory, you are able to filter where items go.

First set a hierarchy. Check the item for these item statistics an order you set. When autoinventorying it will check down the list to see if the item has a specific tag, if it does it will filter into a bag of your choosing. For example this is an example of a hierarchy you could set:

1. Collectible Item
    2. Tradeskill Item
    3. Quest Item
    4. Equippable Item
    5. Food/Drink Items
    6. Any other item.

Based on this you can set the bag that each of these categories goes to.

Collectible Items go to Bag 2,3,4
    Tradeskill items go to Bag 9,10
    Quest Items go to Bag 6,7
    Equippable Items go to Bag 8
    Food/Drink Items go to Bag 1

If the set bag is filled, it will go into the top bag like normal. So using this setup an example would be, if you autoinventory a collectible it would skip bag 1 and go to Bag 2, if bag 2 is full goes to bag 3, if bag 2 and 3 are full it would go to bag 4, if all three bags are full it would go to the top bag like normal. If you are using bandolier to go from 1h to 2h, your 2handers would autofilter into Bag 8 since they are equippable, if bag 8 is full it wouldl go to the top bag like normal. If you are autoinventory an item with both a Tradeskill and Quest tag, it would assess the Tradeskill tag first since that's higher in the hierarchy, then it would go into Bag 9 or 10. Etc.

This would be incredible to make sure your items go to the right bags. Way more convenient than specific bags with certain limitations.
    Mediik likes this.
  3. Ngreth Thergn Developer

Note. I'm having a conversation, not making promises of such items.

We don't have a flag or anything to identify vendor-trash that the game could use for this sort of bag.
    Well. Yes and no. There is an advantage to some of these in that... they are items that can't contain augments, therefore... that "bag" has the potential to take less memory because the items that fit inside won't take up as much memory.
    Celephane, Mediik and minimind like this.
  4. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I don't see what difference would there be with a bank and char full of 40 slots bags that anything can go in or 40 slot bags that are restricted to certain items.
    Coagagin likes this.
  5. Qbert Gallifreyan

How about a bag in the vein of the geerlok hypermodulating tool? One bag for each time a bag-size increase is granted, but the bag itself can by cycled through the various types to appease anyone who wants 20 of one type and 20 of another or whatever combination. Then, there need be only one recipe to create the bag and/or item for sale in the marketplace and/or on overseer/loyalty vendors, etc. This would allow people to adapt their storage based on whatever their hoarding is focused on at that time.

Example:

• Bag of Singularity - 40 slots, 44 slots, 50 slots, 100 slots, whatever . . . holds only tradeskill items.
    • Inspect bag, conversion button usable if bag is empty . . .
    • Click conversion button, get Bag of Babushka . . . same size, holds only empty containers.
    • Inspect bag, conversion button usable if bag is empty . . .
    • Click conversion button, get Bag of Curios . . . holds only collectibles.
    • Etc. for each item type that can be allowed.
  6. Arwyn-RoV Augur

How about a "Horadric Cube" style bag? Way back when in Diablo there was an item that transmuted whatever you put into it into random other things. Sort of like D&D's Deck of Many things meets a master recycling device. Got junk?? Fill the bag.. hit combine.. get an empty Horodric's Cube bag back and a random new thing on your cursor.
  7. Froglok Augur

I have always wanted....

1) Long, long, long, long overdue BIGGER BAZAAR BAG! Maybe even have them made with high end tradeskills, using existing, albeit not often used (not meaning super-rare components) like Loams, Spinnerets, Silks, Tannins, Silks, Hides, Threads (for the bulk of the bag); maybe some wood and metal type inner reinforcements; and maybe some bejeweling to attract buyers (this would cover a good number of the existing skills).

2) A 20+-slot placeable Jewelry Box.. it holds old augs in it's "any-type" slots. When placed, you can right click to view them (like a bag opening).

3) New Character inventory slots.... primarily, a Food / Drink Slot. Also, think about the traditional D&D type worlds and one thing that I think will be hard to disagree on, is that characters don't wear just 2 rings or just 2 earrings. So, how about 1 to 2 more ear and finger slots?
  8. Bigstomp Augur

What about a tradeskill + collect bag? I often have half full collect bags, or half full TS bags.
    I could use other dedicated bags in my bank to sort things after the fact but it would let the vendor trash fall to the bottom and easy to find.
  9. Moege Augur

Understood and just throwing ideas around.

How about having bags with a tag e.g
    Filter Text entry on the bag inspect window.

Then the ability (probably advloot) to mark items with filter1 so those then go to filter1 bag etc.
    or
    The same text entry/dropdown selection (multiple options?) on the item inspect itself (to handle cases where you don't actually get to loot things. e.g tradeskill made) or want to set it after you looted it.

This should in theory cover everyone's wishes and on the plus side you do not need to make 10001 new bags

Should be able to do all this client side, don't think I see any exploits with it.
    Whole lot of coding to achieve it.
  10. Ngreth Thergn Developer

The full filtering ideas (multiple methods mentioned) is nice, but the UX (User Experience) is painful. It becomes an "Advanced user" feature. Bags that only hold specific things is easier UX.
  11. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

Ngreth since we have your attention at the moment (and hearing from Devs is always welcome!) do you forsee any possibility of offering an improve storage solution in the not too distant future? I think the player base would welcome a revenue generating solution and the added benefit could potentially be a reduction in server loads? It would be nice to have a central way to store items that doesn't include having to stash them on numerous alt characters, houses, guildhalls, etc.
  12. Funky Augur

you want more bags... i just want the "find items" option to show items i have in my alts' houses.. since you know, i can only own 3 plots per toon
  13. Oakenn Tigerspirit Augur

What about a bag that DOESN'T take items tagged equippable, quest, lore, no trade, collect, tradeskill.... whatever else I'm not thinking of.

Would effectively do approximately the same thing. It isn't perfect but would go a long way.
  14. Moege Augur

Unfortunately even the specific bags is a advanced user feature. I have lost count over the years of how many times I had to explain that no just because you have a tradeskill bag tradeskill items will not automatically go there, it fills from first bag to last so here is how you need to arrange your bags.

This inevitably leads to a conversation of why some food items stacks to 1000 and go into a tradeskill bag and others stack to 20 and does not.

Then a few months later if I ask how is it going with inventory I get the response that specfic bags are useless as it cannot do what was wanted and they are now using general purpose bags.

These days I just help people on how to use the specific bags to collect items from inventory e.g have it in your bank and click another bag on the specific one to quickly filter the items. Given up on the idea of having a neat inventory with items in bags where you expect it to be for other people at least.

Here is how my inventory has to look for it to even remotely be useful
    Collection bag (40+slot)
    Small bag with bandolier weapons and food/drink (usually a mixing bowl, losing 30+slots)
    Tradeskill bag (extraplanar) (losing 8 slots since not 40+)
    General (40+slot)
    General (40+slot)
    General (40+slot)
    General (potions)
    General (clickies)

Even then on my tank when I swap from 1 handed to 2 handed my shield ends up in a general bag if I loot something before switching back to 1 handed. Irritating to find it after the Tradeskill bags in one of those depending on how much is in each.

Inventory management in EQ is a pain and if you tradeskill just becomes a nightmare.
    Metanis likes this.
  15. Zamiam Augur

ON the tradeskill bags (extraplanar) marketplace sells a 40slot one .. I know its not ideal .. but its there if you want it .. I would prefer they make a TS 40slot avail but I figure the reason they dont is because of the marketplace one .. :(
  16. Schadenfreude Augur

I would very much like this. Make them require mob drops if you don't want everyone to have an unlimited amount. I have, without exaggeration, hundreds upon hundreds of items that never see the light of day due to trader satchels that haven't seen any love for a decade.
  17. Ngreth Thergn Developer

We are often looking at new things... You may hear news in a few months...
    maybe? Sounds feasible code wise, and , yes as you mentioned, a few random things would fall through.

Would also have to exclude items with a spell attached. I think potions and scrolls don't have any of those flags (many will have no-trade, but many don't). Convert and reward set excluded as well. I guess that fits in the "whatever else [you're] not thinking of"
    Deux and minimind like this.
  18. Metanis Bad Company

Teaser!
    minimind likes this.
  19. Seor New Member

I’d love a weapon key ring linked with our bandolier. Hate that my weapons get randomly dumped into backpacks along with loot trash and food. This is a fix I would pay for.
    Deux and minimind like this.
  20. Braveheart Augur

How about the ability to use the filter to "mail all" to the same character.

e.g. If i want to sort Find "pelts" then I can open the parcel vendor, put in the name and click "mail all."

e.g. sort "diamond" mail all... etc.

Also, can you add Sort by type: Tradeskill
    minimind likes this.