Request: Log File Change

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Imukai, May 5, 2020.

1. Imukai Augur

Please consider an option to format log files by day, or even month, so that eqlog_Char_server.txt doesn't become 100+ MB before I notice it to split+rename it.

Yes there are third party programs that can maintain this, but my request is for the source of the logs to provide some basic maintenance options.

eqlog_Char_server_2020-05.txt or whatever granularity you choose to implement as options.

An alternative to changing the name of the log file itself could be creating subfolders in /Logs. e.g. /Logs/2020-05/eqlog_Char_server.txt
    Fanra likes this.
  2. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Although this would inconvenience me, I strongly support this to help others. I've spent quite a bit of time trying to help my guild mates understand that they need to clear out the log files regularly and explaining to them how to do so.
  3. kizant Augur

Maybe they could start with adding a warning message when you login if it's over a certain size.
    Tatanka likes this.
  4. Angahran Augur

Possibly add a new command, we got the /loginterval recently, so maybe /logsize ? and it would allow you to set a maximum size for your logfile ?

e.g.
    /logsize 100 would set it to 100meg and the game could rename the existing logfile and start a new one when the logfile reaches that size ?

Possibly use /logsize 0 to indicate to leave it alone and ignore size ?
    Fanra likes this.
  5. Pawtato Augur

They could just cap the file size, and force it to rename it as logfile1. Even basic programs do that.
  6. Magickon Augur

Coming soon to a patch note:

"Log files will work again. For real this time."
    Metanis likes this.
  7. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

The other option is to have a max file size, where it does not rename or anything, just keeps only the most recent entries up to the max file size. This is actually a "standard" for many log files in many other applications.

Of course, for those like me that want an unlimited max file size (I manually move it when it is too large) there should always be the option to continue the present system if we wish.
  8. Metanis Bad Company

People could use either GINA or GamParse both of which offer automatic log file maintenance. Although I find it hilarious that we have to resort to 3rd party programs to perform basic functions. But I remember the last time they messed with the log file code we had terrible lag for a couple of weeks until they fixed it.
    Barton and Pawtato like this.