Removing the sound from Flare/Frost Auras?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Silv, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Silv Augur

Does anyone know which file I need to delete in the EQ sounds directory that will remove the horrible pulsing noise that goes off every 18s when Mana Reciprocation or Frostweave aura are running? I don't know why but my brain is no longer ignoring it and it's slowly driving me insane. (It's also the sound that goes off when Enchanter haste lands on you)

There was a post recently complaining about spectre pets/rats, etc. and that you can delete files to remove it (unless you repatch) so I know it's possible. Just don't know how to figure out which it is outside of listening to every.single.one. So... hoping someone already figured it out :)

ps. Why in the world do ANY pulsing auras have sounds still? :( Of course... it isn't nearly as bad as when they changed Twincast Aura to 'chain' recast itself and it had a sound if anyone remembers that patch! They removed the sound pretty quick after that though thank goodness.

pps. Your comments about not playing with sound on are MUCH appreciated! :rolleyes:
  2. Sancus Augur

People play with sound? :p
    Leex and Sheex like this.
  3. Silv Augur

[IMG]

<3 tho Sancus ;)
  4. Sancus Augur

Ooof, too soon :p
    Felicite and Silv like this.
  5. Silv Augur

Okay... I finally figured this out myself and tracked down the sound so I will post here how I did it for anyone else that is interested. The basic procedure has been described numerous times before so I'm not taking credit for that - but this will *specifically* remove the sound from pulsing auras.

1. Download S3DSpy and install.
    2. Download this 2 sec WAV file of silence someone was kind enough to already have made: https://github.com/fizzgig16/sod-spec-silence/blob/master/silence.wav?raw=true
    2b. Alternatively, make your own WAV file of a sound that will not drive you insane.
    3. Rename the WAV from step #2 to 'spelhit2' and put it somewhere easy to find
    2. Run S3DSpy and direct it to your EQ directory.
    3. Search through the left column and find snd2.pfs; navigate through the list in the right hand column now and locate spelhit2.wav. Delete it using the program.
    4. Now, using the program add back that renamed WAV you made in step 2.
    5. Dump another copy of your silent spelhit2 WAV into your "Sounds" folder within the EQ directory.*

*I could not get it to work without replacing the file in the snd2.pfs AND dropping it in the sound folder even though it doesn't naturally live there. Why? Dunno. Also don't care.

6. Regain sanity while still playing with sound on.

If you want the sound back for who knows what insane reason, just delete the entire snd2.pfs file and EQ will re-patch it or just keep a backup copy before you edit.
    Fanra and Neodraykl like this.
  6. Neodraykl Elder

Time to use this on specters, helicopters, and chetari.
    Silv likes this.
  7. Silv Augur

Those are all actually being changed in the next patch. No need :) Unfortunately the aura sounds were not included in that list.

Edit: From the test patch notes-

- Players, pets, and mercenaries will no longer emit idle sound effects. This should reduce the cacophony caused by a number of relatively boisterous illusions.
  8. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

From the Test patch notes -

- Players, pets, and mercenaries will no longer emit idle sound effects. This should reduce the cacophony caused by a number of relatively boisterous illusions.
    - The music that plays when you die will no longer loop while you are in hover mode.
    - Lowered the volume of the sound effect that plays when earning a new AA point.
  9. Blurred_Memories Augur

unfortunately that also doesn't seem to apply to the mechanical mounts... i hope i'm wrong.
  10. Silv Augur

Yeah... that list is extremely small. I doubt it even scratches the surface on sounds that need to be removed or tweaked so...
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  11. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

Probably not but it is a step in the right direction at least. I play with the sound off and listen to music or podcasts and have for years but I probably miss out on some decent sound effects & zone music that way.
    Silv likes this.
  12. Blurred_Memories Augur

silv, please let me know of that method sticks through patch.... looks overly complicated and annoying if it has to be done every patch, however if its a one time only thing... it would be totally worth it.