Removing the 2 box limit on Aradune

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by chooseaname, Sep 23, 2022.

1. chooseaname New Member

I really think this should be considered. The server has turned into a ghost town and more and more people migrate off to Rizlona. There is now a toxic culture of people reporting anyone they see with boxes following a person and suspensions have happened without any actual investigations.

It's just silly. It was a ruleset that might have made a different back during Classic and Kunark but now it is strangling the server.

In the end the server is going to be a bunch of twits that were reporting other people... like eight of them... sitting around in the guild lobby... by themselves... wondering why it is failing.

Keep Aradune true box, just get rid of the stupid limit of two rule.
    Yaldiien likes this.
  2. Treeconix Elder

Hyperbole aside, the cleanest compromise remains untalked about. Relaxed truebox with 2 char limit intact. Allow 2 characters for a single machine. Truebox has good intentions, but it's clunky and buggy.
  3. Captain Video Augur

Devs have already rejected this idea. They won't touch the truebox rule on >any< existing TLP until their "evaluation" of the relaxed truebox rule on Yelinak is complete, and it doesn't unlock there for another year. If they change one server, they will have to change them all.

The Aradune complainers don't really care about the truebox rule anyway. They want unlimited boxing. They essentially want Aradune to become what they had hoped Rizlona would be, but almost all of the human guilds on Rizlona have died. Aradune's best chance of staying healthy is actually to do the opposite of what the complainers demand and to protect its niche as an ostensibly 2-box-limit server. Of course, my opinions on this subject are long since on the record.
  4. Bullsnooze Augur

I would like them to keep true box ruleset (1 characters per computer), but increase the limit of controlled boxes by 1 player from 2 to 3.

That's not entirely correct. The server is deep within TSS and many people are now logging in to just raid. When TBS launches in a couple of weeks - the population will spike as there are more things to do.

There are a few (or 1) individual that have taken up some sort of crusade using a couple of different Rogues (various levels, but all have the AA: Shroud of Stealth) in order to watch people in end game camps (Frostcrypts, Valdeholm, and Ashengate.) I'm pretty sure this same person attempted using a Bard + Fade in DoDH, but that didn't work out so well.

Either way, they basically follow you around and record your gameplay in hopes of finding you either boxing over the limit or actually cheating. So, to say there isn't an investigation isn't 100% truthful, but there is some sort of 'evidence' submitted against the accused.

The problem with the above is the person on their crusade is cheating as well. In some investigations, they are actually using a <program to not be named> to track you. How else would a random Rogue know you were at a specific point in the zone and beeline right to you?
  5. Treeconix Elder

They didn't reject anything. They said they would evaluate at a later time.

Relaxed truebox with a 2 char limit still remains the best compromise. Whether it happens or not is a different topic, but that fact remains. The spirit of the ruleset will still remain, just enforced slightly differently (even though it's not enforced in the first place).

End of the day there is literally nothing stopping a person from 3+ boxing on Aradune. Its just if the person decides to follow the server rule or not. It's the equivalent of speeding on a highway. They decide the risk is worth it and speed.
  6. Captain Video Augur

There is little compliance with the 2-box rule on Aradune as it is now, which means changing the rule isn't going to affect the population the way the complainers think it will. People are being reported (not by me) and occasional suspensions still occur. A rule change won't help there either, because if you give them three, some will immediately run with six, and if you give them six, you'll be seeing 12, which would make it essentially the same as Rizlona. All of this has been argued before, at great length, and the only reason it keeps coming up again is that some people apparently can't read. Devs aren't reading anything in this forum right now, they have their hands full with the upcoming expansion release. The only chance the complainers have to be heard now is to take it to the Discord.
  7. Rhythar Augur

The whole point of Aradune is the 2-box limit. That's Aradune's defining feature and what sets it apart from every other server. It's not a stupid rule. It's one that attracts a lost audience and fosters community.

The best thing for Aradune's health is players and employees doing what they can to help maintain the 2-box rule.
  8. Rhythar Augur

Boxing over the limit is actually cheating. It's breaking a rule (the rule) and getting an unfair advantage over other players.
  9. Treeconix Elder

I don't think all "complainers" care about the population. They care about accessibility of content. Hence why I think removal of hard truebox and going relaxed will benefit. Boxing on a single computer is easier and efficient than two
  10. Captain Video Augur

Literally no one is arguing against the relaxed truebox concept. We, as players, have no control over its timing. Devs have stated multiple times what their timeline is, and they aren't even going to look at the application of this new rule to existing TLPs for at least another year. All you're doing here is calling them out in this forum, which is not a productive strategy, IMHO.

As for accessibility of content, the solution on this server is very simple: join a guild. If you keep trying to play solo past TSS, even as a 3-box, there are going to be places you can't get to or complete, and that's by design. Mercs will help somewhat when they unlock, but there will still be barriers at some points in group progression. Anyone who stubbornly refuses to guild at this stage of a TLP shouldn't really be on a TLP, IMHO; a Live server will work much better.
  11. Treeconix Elder

1. I'm not calling out anything or strategizing anything. All I'm stating is instead of people asking to drastically change the server ruleset is to compromise and ask for something actually plausible.

2. If there's something in TSS you cannot do with a box...hm that's embarassing. I can do anything in the game at this point with just a war/druid.

3. Lazy take "join a guild" argument that I believe I completely ripped apart in another thread when you said it before. As I type this, my guild currently has a total of NINE people (and its actually more like 5 people + boxes) not in an afk zone (POK, GL, GH). Prime hour on a weekend. We are one of the "larger" guilds on Aradune.
  12. Captain Video Augur

1. None of what is being asked is plausible. Applying the relaxed truebox rule to any existing TLPs will not happen anytime soon, and it is not negotiable before the devs say so. The 2-box rule is cast in stone, it's there for the life of the server, and that's not negotiable. The one way that could change sooner is if they merge servers, which none of the players seem to want.

2. You cannot raid in TSS with a 2-box. A little later on you will reach a point where you cannot do group content with a 2-box and no mercs, but by the time you realize you're at that point, presto, the mercs unlock. There will be a point where you hit another wall with a 2+2 setup. But, if you're in a group of five humans all working through progression together, then you're all set, except for raiding.

3. People are raiding on Aradune. If you're not, then your guild isn't one of the "larger" guilds, sorry.
    Kaenneth likes this.
  13. Treeconix Elder

Again, going from truebox to relaxed truebox isn't modifying the 2-box rule. Why are you bringing that up? I'm not saying to change the boxing limit.

It's also plausible because it isn't changing the ruleset. It's implementing the upgrade to true-box code which they previously didn't have. It's like getting a version update. There's literally zero reason outside of arbitrary and self-imposed justifications by the devs. It's like Apple or Samsung not providing OS updates for certain model phones.
    I thought it was well implied you were talking about stuff outside of raids. Is this obvious statement day? The sun rises to the East and the Sun sets to the West. Did you know that as well?

More obvious statements are...obvious. Thanks for reminding me of the content I've done before.

Where did I ever say I wasn't raiding? Are you making assumptions? This is very much a RAID guild. Care to try and weasel your way out of that? A raid guild on a Saturday night had 5 total real people playing. You know why? Most people raid log. A guild isn't going to help that fact.

And how about people with odd playing hours? I have weird playing hours a lot of the time. Mostly during times literally nobody is playing. I have an infant who wakes up at 4am est, eats, and goes back to sleep. Well, I'm up and now alone. I'll hop on a couple hours before work. I'm literally forced to box. Relaxed truebox (with a 2 box limit) would drastically help my situation.
  14. Bullsnooze Augur

Did someone from the Dark Paw side mention it was not negotiable? I feel like if this were true than these type of threads would be locked. If you don't mind, would you link to this verbiage please? I'd stop posting in these threads if this were indeed true and I missed the memo.

I'm not saying it isn't cheating, but don't cheat to catch cheaters. And, don't be weird about it either.
  15. Captain Video Augur

They're not locking anything, unless a thread degrades into personal attacks. People are free to post all sorts of nonsensical server ideas on here, the team just ignores it. If you don't want to take my word for it and seek official confirmation that what I said above is true, just ask in the Discord.
  16. Bullsnooze Augur

I'd like to keep a shred of hope available!

If they don't officially say it, then they still might adjust the box limit. (In my dreams, of course lol). :)
  17. Morrigan Bowjobs

Hmm, dummy account created just to post this. Yep, let's take the suggestion of someone too cowardly to post on their main.
  18. Iven the Lunatic

19. McJumps TLP QoL Activist

I have to disagree with the statement "Keep Aradune true box" because honestly, as a person who only boxes one additional character at any given time, I would like to be able to do so on ONE machine rather than have a laptop with less than half the power of my desktop running my secondary character.

At this point, I have all but lost interest in this issue. If people want to box 6 characters, they can do so freely, with a risk. The only thing that bothers me is the fact that some people have chosen to weaponize this rule and I know personally of a few people caught in the middle who have been suspended possibly unjustly. But who knows at this point, maybe they were cheating, I have no way to confirm if what they tell me is true.

Bottomline, do your own thing, if you choose to ignore the rules of the server, you may get caught and suspended. But also people should have better ways to use their time than to try to catch people doing something wrong. I play the game to have fun, and unless someone is doing something blatantly, that directly affects my gameplay, such as training or zone disruption of some kind, I don't care to report anyone.

The idea of logging into a game with the sole purpose of trying to catch someone and report them seems pretentious and juvenile to the point of being sad and pathetic. No matter how many people they report, its not going to make their guild better at planning or executing an expansion launch. :)