Remove mages from the game

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Matari, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Reval Augur

What about enchanters? I'm sure I've read various times that enchanters are the "masters of enchantment", and yet in terms of dispelling, enchanters got the dispell aa AFTER wizards. In addition, go back to freakin' velious! Abashi's Rod of Disempowerment.. they gave a beneficial only dispel to monks and necros, and later on beastlords and berserkers waaaay back then. Enchanters didn't have that crap.... So get this berserkers the "masters of enchantment" because from their inception to November of 2014 if you have a mob with dots that just got haste from another mob they can remove JUST THE HASTE and an enchanter would strip every single dot in the way. That's a pretty long time to be missing out on being "the masters of enchantment"... You want to argue that it's item vs spell? Rangers got beneficial only dispel in their 70's and Shaman got detrimental dispel in the same expansion both as spells! So much for that class description...

And mana regen? pffffffft. Clarity is nice and all, second spire is nice and all, the robe click is nice and all, the dichotomic is also ok... but if you just died on a raid, who do you ask for mana? That's right. A cleric. I feel like a lot of classes offer mana regen at a level that they really couldn't before. The game is changing, and that happens.

I bet haste is on there too, but a shaman can probably put most people on this board up to/over the cap, and provide other statistical buffs to the point where I'd rather have just a shaman's buffs than just an enchanter's buffs on any melee class.

You know what though? As relevant as class descriptions can be overall, who cares? The way this is being done it's just going to promote arguments between people. Here's what I think is important: the class should be viable in the game as it is right now. If you include mercs (because anyone would be crazy not to bring a merc into a named fight) and mages can solo those but wizards cannot do this, of course wizards should bring more to the table in some other area. Ports are not relevant enough to be considered equal to that level of power.. not even close. So yes, the wizard should be able to deal more damage than a mage, and perhaps by a significant amount.

I think why the wizards seem to be "striking back" is that this is sort of a give an inch take a mile situation. As soon as pets are fine, then we're right back to "hey mages don't deal enough dps so they're worthless on raids". So then if they can deal say 4/5 or 5/6 or 9/10 (at this point for me it's a speculative amount) of what a wizard can deal on a raid considering sustained and burst, and they can solo group named mobs and they provide raid utility through mod rods which can be essential to beating events, what's the point of being a wizard?

Maybe the conversation should go this route: Let's find a reasonable way to parse classes that is not full of nonsense and people that will underparse their class to try to get more power. Then, let's ask: What is the amount that a Wizard should outdps a Magician? Because let's be fair here. They should. It would be interesting to see what people think of this.
    Faana, Venaki and Benzarden like this.
  2. lancelove Augur

Why did the nerf come to mage earth pet 8 months ago, and now again. WHY? answer that?
  3. Dre. Altoholic

The argument is: The statement "able to adventure solo" is too vague to make meaningful declarations around what you should and should not be able to solo. Beyond the argument, my opinion is that this statement is intentionally vague.
    Coronay likes this.
  4. lancelove Augur

If you are a mage, and youve played mage for at least the last few years...this is an atrocity and you better stand up and say wtf! Biggest nerf ive seen since 99
  5. graft New Member

And that is why mages need to be removed.
  6. quseio Augur

bards used to be able to charm ANYTHINbOATS EVEN GODS ! sure it didnt last long...

i havent played in a long time but cant you just let it tank and heal a bit b4 nukeing? to be fair mages where preety over powered at soloing b4 i quit and had been for quite some time also consider pet spamming its a no agro art that will get you through tough pulls when nothing else will just keep you buffed and itemed pet pocketed till its whittled down pet chaining.. can be very easy or hard depending on space and the mob
    or even rage spam for adds
  7. Matari Augur

Mages are NOT the solo gods that everyone makes them out to be. Molo - if we pace even further than most already do, the healer merc is going be OOM or dead before the mob comes anywhere close to dying. I've been able to pull the mob off pet with one nuke, and have had my merc ganked after one heal. And don't forget other pet classes have issues as well.
  8. Benzarden Augur

Guessing you won't get much sympathy from bards about your current ability to solo.
  9. Matari Augur

You either have comprehension issues or didn't read my post. It isn't necessarily all about the ability to solo. It's the fact that Mages are close to dead last in almost ever DPS caster class criterion. Take away are solo ability, then return it with useful upgrade to a category we don't do well in. The title of this thread is a bit extreme, but the points isn't. There is absolutely NO reason to continue playing a mage.
  10. Steampunk Augur

Don't play a mage, then. Problem solved. See how easy that was?