Remove Anon from game

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Plumbus, Jul 19, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tweakfour17 Augur

Then how does them being /anon make any difference?
  2. Tweakfour17 Augur

Counterpoint, griefers can now find you anywhere you go.
    Accipiter and code-zero like this.
  3. Rhythar Augur

There should be less griefing in general with no /anon. However, if you still have an issue, that's where the GMs come in. Although I have major concerns about the GMs, I do believe they can help with targeted harassment.
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Why would there be less? Do you think the people who are doing it really care about their reputation?
    Yinla likes this.
  5. Rhythar Augur

There are greater and faster consequences for pissing off other players when you can't hide your location.
  6. Rhythar Augur

Would an /anon that just hid your class be adequate?
  7. Tweakfour17 Augur

/role already does that, guild is still visible in a "/who all Rhythar" but not level or class. Your guild can still see where you are and what lvl/class via alt+g guild menu
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

/role does not show your location it just shows your name and guild while /anon just shows your name.
    Tweakfour17 likes this.
  9. Sourire New Member

Exactly what problem would removing anon and roleplay solve? All I read is that “cheaters” use anon. Removing anon and roleplay only reveals location, level, guild, and class. So let’s explore this:

Class and level are relatively irrelevant.
    Guild tag is only obscured by anon and is easily seen if the person is in the same zone with guildstatus; you don’t even need to target them and can use /guildstatus name.
    Location will only help batphone guilds track their competition which is a “who cares”. If the person is not in the same zone as you already to cause problems, why do you care where they are?

How does revealing any of the above information help stop people from cheating? Even if we define “cheating” charitably to include things like training, dps racing, etc, how does any of the above information help you or them? The only information that helps you is knowing if they’re in the same zone as you or not, which you can see with /who regardless if they’re anon or not.
  10. Febb Augur

It doesn't. They are going to break the rules no matter what.
  11. Rhythar Augur

To stop people from cheating, you need evidence. It's much easier to get evidence if you know where they are.
  12. Xhartor Augur

Wouldn't /role keep you sane in the same way?
  13. Tweakfour17 Augur

Gotcha. A Witchhunt for your alleged cheaters.
    Lanffear likes this.
  14. Waring_McMarrin Augur

/role also hides your location which means people would want it removed just as they want /anon removed.
  15. Rauven Augur

This. I use it on my cleric when running to a group, otherwise I'll get a dozen tells about buffs and rez's along the way.
  16. Lanffear Filthy Boxer

Have this problem with my druid all the time despite being on anon since day 1. Have actually had people run after me with hail spamming or sending me tells telling me to stop running away.
  17. Gnothappening Augur

Anon does nothing to encourage or prevent bad behavior. Also, most of the people doing 6 man mage armies show up as not in a guild when you /guildstatus.

What would them not being anon do for you? At best if both role and anon were gone, you could know what zone they were in or if they were online. That is about it. I already use my friends list for the people I hate.
    Yinla and Lanffear like this.
  18. Gnothappening Augur

Ah yes, every day the wisdom of the forums remind me that I am right in thinking DBG should make them read only or shut them down.
  19. Rhythar Augur

More anonymity tends to lead to more bad behavior in just about every online community. In Everquest, /anon makes it harder to gather evidence of cheating and reduces the incidence of retaliation for bad behavior.
  20. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Do you play the game to run around and determine if other players are cheating?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.