Removal of vendor-trash from vendor-available stuffs

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Hythos, Aug 19, 2022.

1. Aanuvane Augur

Pretty much ditto - and I'll also buy things I use frequently like pearls, rubies, sapphires if they've been sold to a popular vendor diving NPC.
    Rondor, KarmaKitty and Wdor like this.
  2. Paladin Augur

Ya know, this isn't a bad idea.

Vendor trash is stuff that has no value other than to sell it to an NPC Vendor (not for a Quest, not used in tradeskills, no Tribute value... and so on).

Could it possibly reduce server lag if, when sold to an NPC, it simply went poof instead of being added to that NPC's offerings for resale? And therefore the server then 'remembering' what has been sold to every Vendor in every zone for resale?

Or would the 'poof' process add to server lag?

Hmm.
    Wdor likes this.
  3. Paladin Augur

Dropped items are random from a Loot table.

Plat is not part of a loot table, I don't think.

I think the coding effort / time would be better spent on the original idea. When vendor loot is sold to a vendor, it simply isn't added to that Vendor's offerings for resale.
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I am not sure if that is true or not and I am also not saying if it is or isn't worth the time to do. Just that if the issue is vendor lists are full of items that serve no purpose other then selling to a vendor for money it would be better for those items to not drop at all instead of having vendors not show them for sell.
  5. Paladin Augur

I disagree... but the Devs have been seemingly limiting and / or literally removing items from the game in recent years. Perhaps to reduce server load and therefore lag, maybe?

So, they might like your idea of just flat removing those items all together.

However, here is the BIG reason I don't like that idea... when they do blanket things like this, something always goes awry. There are items that are not properly marked as Tradeskill, Quest and so forth. This means they get removed in the 'blanket' removal process and suddenly, tradeskill recipes are broken and quests are broken.

An example of this are the recent removal of some of the Hero's Journey Quest Achievements they had just added a few months earlier. The Achievements (Quests) were not doable, because items -- and in one case, an NPC -- where no longer in the game (they had been removed).

So, I like the idea of the Vendor just not offering them for resale.
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Why would items on a mob impact server lag? If anything they are removing those items to reduce the amount of time needed in creating, naming, pricing and creating graphics for. Items also are not impacted by the luck stat or other ways they have added to increase currency drops.

If you have a limited dev team there is little reason to create items whose only value is selling them to a merchant so you can earn money. It would be a better use of time to just have the mobs drop money directly.

I was not suggesting removing items that are used in quests or tradeskills just items that have no value besides selling to a vendor. If you want to limit vendor resale they could go the way of WoW and other games and vendors don't resale items except the ones you have sold it.
  7. Paladin Augur

Recording and maintaining data on items (where they are, etc.), Player searches and then presenting the results (i.e. Inventory, Loot Table check and result, Vendors, stuff left on corpses, etc.). Less stuff like that, less read / write / show items to & from the server.

And I didn't say you were suggesting to remove needed / purposed items. Read again.

With Advanced Looting, unless you refuse to use it, it is not faster... since removing just those items does not mean other items will not still drop... unless you mean Players are too put off to pay a momentary visit to a vendor.
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And I am saying it has nothing to do with that as I would think that almost all vendor trash gets sold to a merchant and isn't being stored anyplace besides your inventory before you go sell it. The big gain they get by not adding it is that they don't have to spend the time making it and can focus on other things. Why would they not want to free up time from making items that have a sole purpose of being sold to a vendor.
  9. Aanuvane Augur

Still seems like they should the the time to go through the itemization to determine what should and shouldn't be offered for resale IF this idea were pursued. If we're saying that tradeskill, quest items, etc. should be items that are still offered for resale, then they have to ensure that all the itemization is right. Yes, ok, if they don't review and ensure that the itemization is 100% accurate, then the only thing broken is vendor diving BUT what if you sell your Bone Rod to the vendor and they decide that's not a re-sellable item? You still can't buy it back and have to reacquire through game play or bug a GM.

Personally, I'd rather this just be left alone and focus on other value add ideas. Especially when you consider that all those templates [or whatever tradeskill subcombine no one will ever use] get sold back to vendors and pollute them as well.

One man's trash.....