Regarding Third Party Cheat Programs

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by EQ Dev, Jul 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JustAnotherHuman New Member

So, I was talking to some folks today, and there are some situations going on that apparently most of us didn't know about.

On some of the TLP's, there are folks massively abusing both warping functions and AFK farming. This has been going on for some time (reference, server first kill of Ssra on Agnarr? or whatever? where they warped him to the zone in instead of actually keying to his room). So one of the three people that still work on EQ at daybreak got around to "improving their algorithm" which means some manner of logging warping a little bit more thoroughly to detect shenanigans and also logging AFK farming.

Now since we all know that DBG is great at everything. That all of their changes work exactly as intended and accomplish exactly what they are supposed to, we can all be comfortable knowing that none of us will be banned (again) for doing nothing wrong (like last time). Neither will any of our regular playing partners.

But that's the gist of the data I gathered. The message was to reassure players on the one or two servers where there's a huge problem right now, that they're going to look into it and fix it.

So if you ARE going to go kill ssra, make sure you've got a key for his room.

Is all I'm saying.
  2. Kukaw Augur

If someone is perma banned for using the programs,
    and they have a bunch of Kronos on one of those accounts, what happens to the Kronos?
    Are they consumed? I dont really care, but all this Krono talk got me thinking about it.
    Daedly likes this.
  3. asdfqwerty Journeyman

punished? Obviously there would be warning and you could hurry and use them prior to the change...then you could do the same with the new items the "Kroyes's" buy em and use those to trade for gear. Its not punishment at all and you showed zero ways how it would be punishments.

A months warning would be enough time to have them trade em for whatever gear or RMT em to people who want cheap gameplay etc. The idea basically is a gear reset ala TSS...except its for RMT krono hoarders. Until im proven wrong im right.

Again zero punishment is involved when the idea is impelmented with the intended use of krono's in dbg's opinion is in mind.

As a side reference i still have some LON booster packs from when they dropped back in the day off mobs...the game is offline now but the items are in my bank (i can link them in game anytime). Is DBG in error for making them useless and having ZERO backup for me on those earned in game items? Of course not...just like they wouldnt if they no dropped kronos and then HAD a back up and released a replica item just slightly renamed. (booster packs aside the point is it would increase revenue and deter a part of the playerbase they dont actually want~)
  4. asdfqwerty Journeyman

DBG has a vast never ending supply mountain of kronos

A bunch of RMTers have a bunch of huge hills of kronos and between them (kronos from years ago still unused) combined with a population that gets smaller every year rather than larger means those hills are suffice enough to support the player base and their subscription needs.

Why climb a mountain for a trophy (pay DBG 17.99 per), when you can climb a decent sized hill (pay an rmter 8 bucks per) for the exact same trophy.

Since this is DBG's game they need to FORCE people to climb that mountain and say HEY get all the trophies (kronos) you want now but be prepared the rules (that they can change at any time for whatever reason) are about to change and youll need to climb a NEW mountain thats the same height (a sister version of kronos) to get trophies now.

They do this randomly (with minor notice) and it keeps people on their toes LESS able to adapt, though they will a little, they will never fully adapt like how the krono situation and RMT is now.
  5. asdfqwerty Journeyman

I specifically paid specific money to pay a specific game to loot a specific item...reasons for this are personal and for each person to decide regardless virtual is virtual and kronos or items mentioned are just that virtual. You cant loot said item or use said krono unless you play said game. Again you lose.

Would a f2p player who was given a krono by a stranger in game so they could be all access have legal recourse if they made kronos no drop before he used his...he never paid for it and never paid for eq since hes f2p status? Of course he wouldnt...so paying doesnt matter at all no matter tha scenario in this topic.

Me 1
    You -1

~
  6. Aurastrider Augur

You idea is short sighted. People buy and obtain krono's because they are tradable. Comparing LON to a krono is like comparing an apple and a hand grenade. You say there would be zero punishment but some people save their krono's for the next cycle of chase loots. Some people stock them on their main and feed alt accounts as needed. Your idea basically screws these people over and makes them hit the reset button on potentially years of farming to acquire the krono they have. All of this just to release a replica. This kind of business decision is the kind of thing that would put a sour taste in a lot of customers mouths and potentially cost customers all to server what purpose?

If you think this will get rid of the RMT people you are dead wrong. You know what these guys will do? Sell as many as they can while they are still tradable and make dozens if not more accounts for what they cant sell in time. Transfer as many krono onto each account as they feel is needed to start up their factory. When the time is right they will just click that little green item to activate their playing time and boom they are golden. They will then use playing time from the now no trade krono on all of these accounts to farm your new brilliant creation. Your idea that they will be stuck sitting on hundreds if not thousands of krono on one account is seriously flawed. Come back when you have another brilliant idea I certainly would love to hear it. Almost any attempt to make changes that effect the masses just to punish the few who abuse the system rarely works and just punishes the innocent. Krono are fine how they are and should just be left as is.
  7. Aurastrider Augur

Why would someone pay more from the company that provides them with they game they love? Why would someone support the game they love rather than pay some third party dirt bag who has no integrity and only sees the game as dollar signs rather than an amazing from of entertainment? Why would someone not want to risk getting their account that they have had for nearly 2 decades banned just to save a couple bucks? I don't know about you but personally I like my accounts and I love this game. As long as they keep pushing out content and items I feel are worth spending money on I will keep handing over my cash. If others don't love this game as much as myself or don't care about their accounts than that's on them. Personally I would never pay some 3rd party site for something that I can obtain from the source if its something that I love and want to keep in business.
    Shanarias likes this.
  8. elumxe Elder

You guys are derailing this thread with your Krono and rmt talk.

I can now confirm that THIS topic is about a specific third party CHEAT program, that contains ACTIVE hacks like warping and zoning capabilities.
    It is in NO way affiliated with what others here has referred to as “game genie”. In fact I condemn it as well and will work alongside dbg to help this crap from spreading. Any site that advertises this program will not have my support.

I always knew there was a possibility that someone someday would create something like this since “game genie” does NOT work on the truebox servers and it’s sad that people can’t leave those servers alone.

(I’m eqmule, lead dev for “game genie”.)
  9. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Erhm, how many cheat programs are out there? :confused: The only thing I could find out about "game genie", is that it is a super nintendo gizmo(or something), so I guess thats a codeword?
    I have only heard about:
    • "that popular boxing software", which I think is ok? on non-true-box servers.
    • The really oldschool "packetsniffer/injector thingy", that ran on linux back in the day.
    • And the thing that prevent us from mentioning "forumquest".
    Not using names, really makes this conversation cumbersome. :rolleyes:
  10. elumxe Elder

“Game Genie” = “the thing that prevents you from mentioning forumquest”

This thread is about a new program that has nothing to do at all with “game genie”.
    Grammerpolice and Jumbur like this.
  11. Jumbur Improved Familiar

How can you be sure that this thread isn't also about "game genie"? Have you talked to anyone at DBG?
  12. elumxe Elder

We have an open dialog going back since 2015 so I’m 100% sure it’s not about “game genie” since someone at dbg would reasonably have told me if it was. And they haven’t. They are going after an actual cheat program (relatively new) that contains serious active hacks that are very detrimental to others gameplay.
    I have nothing at all to do with this program and I will actively work to stop advertising of it on the sites where I have influence.
  13. strongbus Augur

so some fool has taking a program that was ok and has changed it into his own that just bout breaks ever rule/agreement that those who make/use the ok version and is now trying to sell it online.

go for it DB nail him and those who use it to the wall
  14. lokomojo New Member

They wouldn't have told you if this was about you. Your dialogue goes back almost 3 years but yet there's still a website online that distributes a version of your software which is 100% designed for hacking/cheating.... if you google your program it even comes up in the google search BEFORE the version you call "legitimate". Considering that you yourself said earlier in the thread that your 'structs' can't be used without your permission, your admitting that this website runs with your knowledge and your permission.

Literally the first line on that website after clicking the google link, "<Program not to be named> can do things such as displaying all mob locations on your ingame map, fully automate your characters play or teleport you anywhere in the zone"

Kinda sounds like hacking & cheating, no?
  15. elumxe Elder

You are new, I forgive your for your ignorance, we have discussed the politics of third party “legal” and “illegal” tools in other threads over the years. Suffice to say, there are no truebox versions released on the site u mention, which is the price we pay, having said that, this isn’t a thread for that discussion as it has nothing to do with it. Bottom line is, I stopped my program from working on truebox under an agreement directly with dbg.

(I could probably disable map in “game genie” but it’s kinda pointless since there are other programs I don’t control which has the exact same capability,)
    I’ve had this conversation with dbg and there is nothing you as a player can possibly add to it that we haven’t already discussed.

This new actor does not represent me or my program, nor is his program using any structures from mine. I’m not going to use this thread to educate you about what that means.
    Grammerpolice likes this.
  16. Ghubuk Augur

So what you are saying is that DBG made an explicit agreement with you to allow players to cheat therefore making it harder to keep up for those of us paying customers that do not cheat? Because it does make it harder for those paying customers that do not cheat because if a large number of the playing population, by cheating, can more easily get to max aa, large amounts of plat etc, then that starts to become the "norm" and the game gets tuned around that "new norm" which means that those other non cheating paying customers get further behind the curve.
    Bella222 and xcitng like this.
  17. Jumbur Improved Familiar

My own opinion about what should be allowed is:
    • Cosmetic changes to the UI(editing of graphic-elements and xml-files). DBG has full control over how these are interpreted by the client
    • Various map-packs, they are most likely made with ingame tools anyway. DBG has full control over how these are interpreted by the client.
    • Third-party-programs that relies solely on reading log files generated by the ingame /log-cmd. and does not in anyway interact with the client, other than presenting its own output to the user. DBG has full control over how these log-files are made.
    everything else is sketchy at best.

Common for these tools, is that DBG is in control, which gives players an even playing field.

Then again, I don't make the rules...:)
  18. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

No one knows if they absorb them back into the endless krono base DBG has or if the pixels fly out into space but you certainly don't get reimbursed for squat. Just like you don't get a refund if you paid a year in advance and get banned . I would assume they stay on the account with would be worthless since even a petition or appeal to the ban seldom results in account recovery.
  19. elumxe Elder

Dbg has never made any agreement to allow cheating. You are just spinning facts to fit your agenda.
    If you consider slotcolors cheatng then sure, but I’m not going over this again.

This thread is about serious active hacks that are detrimental to others gameplay, everything else is just a distraction and a derail from that issue.
    Grammerpolice likes this.
  20. elumxe Elder

The price we pay for no truebox version is what it is. I will not comment further on this because it’s political and complicated.

Also I am not affiliated with, nor do I own any websites at all that sells any programs.
    I CAN however use my influence with a couple sites to stop them from advertising and distributing this new cheat program, and I will.

It’s not a coincidence that this thread was posted now, my program has been ok to use while attending for years, this new one contains serious active hacks, while mine does NOT.

Besides, we still need to think of this as features. Programs can be changed. A feature that is frowned upon today might just be allowed tomorrow. I posted a long list on page 5 of features of “game genie” that are now included in the client itself.

You can use Microsoft excel to spread viruses but it would be idiotic to ban it because of a subset of it’s users chooses to abuse it like that.

The problems with people using active hacks like warp and so on on truebox servers IS EXACTLY why this thread was started. It’s NOT about “game genie” because not even the sites u googled are distributing a version that works on those servers as per our agreement.

The guy that has released this new cheat program has done so without regard for any truebox agreement or taking anyone but himself into consideration. He is doing this to make a quick buck and probably couldn’t care less if he gets people banned for using it.

I however, care a great deal, about people getting banned, or I wouldn’t be here arguing so fiercely about what program is being targeted. So again, It’s not mine.
    Grammerpolice and code-zero like this.
  21. Jumbur Improved Familiar

The issue is, do we want DBG to be in control of which features that are available to the players? Or do we want players to add new features to the game by themselves?
    One persons feature is another persons cheat/hack, until it has been ok'ed by a commonly accepted "referee"(DBG in this case).
    Its just the way online gaming works, otherwise everyone will come up with their own "house-rules".
    And that will be a huge mess. :eek:
    xcitng and Ghubuk like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.