Reason for Selo to be 6+ month unlocks

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by vincenti, Feb 17, 2019.

1. vincenti New Member

Selo is advertised as an ultra casual server,not a casual server. We have casual server TLPs right now, this is supposed to be different. IMO that means :

6 month +, expansion unlocks

Exp. rate at around Ragefire / Lockjaw rate

Ultra casual is for people who have work,school.family, ...ect going on and can't log on for 6 hours a night. Maybe only 6 hours a week or less. It's for people that need the extra time to get things done without having to rush before the next Exp. release. This server will actually be the first of it's kind if done right. Lot's of people start on TLP's only to end up leaving from getting left behind. This server should be a no stress slow moving server for the rest of us.

As for the hardcore server I think it should be made for hardcore raiders. I.E.

6-10 week unlocks

Open world no AoC

Corpse runs

(idk if it could be done but) Locking the max level at 5 levels below that expansions max level. Would make it more of a challenge to complete content.

The hardcore should be made more for competition between Hardcore guilds.

the difference between the 2 servers should be so drastic that hardcores would not want to play on the ultra casual, and the casuals would not want to play on the hardcore server.
  2. ShivanAngel Augur

We needed another thread on this.

Also no, 6 month unlocks would kill the server. People also love the selos ruleset.

People who play less than 10 hours a week are probably less than 10-15% of a server population, making a server just for those people is a waste of resources. There I finally said it. Sorry but its true.

Unless your reason is "because I want the server to die and be a ghost town", there isnt a good reason for that long of unlocks to appease such a small % of the playerbase.
  3. Hateseeker Augur

every previous TLP has been slow 3 and 6 months unlocks already, if slow unlocks is what people want, then the slow unlocks of previous servers have caused them to have not gotten very far, so why wouldn't people just play on them rather than fight Selos? Isn't Coirnav still in PoP?

As people said Daybreak failed by labeling it hardcore vs casual. Fast unlocks and fast XP is a novel approach, they should have just called it that. Plus, not every casual is ultra low play time. Many casuals just don't want to compete, and have irregular playtime, but have a lot of playtime in total.

I was pretty sure I was done with EQ but might actually play Selos. lack of free trade loot is mystifying, though I suppose not acting on persistent feedback is what we've gotten used to.
    snailish and Yinla like this.
  4. Hdizzle Augur

The Selo Server will be a "fast" or "casual" Progression Server.

Copied from their Faq. That sentence is the real issue, imo.
    snailish likes this.
  5. ShivanAngel Augur

Everyone has been saying from the start them branding the servers casual and hardcore was their mistake.

Hey we got two new progression servers with new rulesets unlike any of the old ones!!!! would have been fine. Then just mangler would be bashed and selos would get more love then it already is.
    snailish likes this.
  6. code-zero Augur

They were labeled ultra-casual and hardcore.

It should have been obvious from the names that DBG wasn't expecting them to draw like any previous TLP.

Those two descriptions indicate players on the extreme opposite ends of the player spectrum. maybe 2~3% at either end.

They aren't for everyone and I suspect that few of the current TLP players would fit the the parameters that they are considering
    snailish and Hdizzle like this.
  7. ShivanAngel Augur

If you think a company wanting to draw any sort of profit would design two special servers for the opposite 2-5% of their playerbase (aka 5-10% of their total players) you are delusional.

I am sure they wanted to make them different, but they still want one or the other to appeal to everyone.
  8. Hdizzle Augur

100% right. I just think its worth understanding DBG equates casual with fast, which is contrary to most of their feedback.
  9. code-zero Augur

The created a server that's locked at PoP didn't they?
  10. ShivanAngel Augur

That was the biggest problem as well.. look at the forums, no one agrees on the definition of casual and hardcore...

My definition of casual is different then the other persons... Someone says casual is someone who raids occasionally and plays less than 20 hours a week. Someone else comes in and argues that anyone who plays over 10 hours a week and raids at all isnt casual.

HArdcore for me is batphones, racing to mobs, clearing open world and AoC.

Casual is still raids their AoC2-3 times a week, may not clear content in era but comes close and maybe pulls it off sometimes, with no number on hours a week...
    Hdizzle likes this.
  11. Hdizzle Augur

Well, at least two people agree.
  12. ShivanAngel Augur

They also had data to back up that this would be a popular idea.

Anyone who has played previous TLP's knows that population drops off pretty heavily after PoP. also it DID NOT have a base ruleset that would keep people from playing on the server from its inception like a server with 6 month unlocks would. They would still get money from microtransactions and subs for the life of the server, there would still be people playing around in PoP but population would drop off.

A 6 month server would be a ghost town from the start.
  13. code-zero Augur

I'm not sure that we are disagreeing here. What we have seen from the current TrueBox servers with 8 or 12 week unlocks and slow exp is that they stay populated and people stay caught up. With fast experience a monthly unlock will likely be just as viable.

Too many people confuse player behavior, people who race for the endgame, with actual unlocks.
  14. ShivanAngel Augur

hmmmm maybe i misread something, If you are saying fast exp with 1 month unlocks is fine I agree.
    Yinla and code-zero like this.
  15. snailish Augur

6 month unlocks are fine. Ragefire and Lockjaw had solid initial population. Give Lockjaw AoC, /pick and Truebox and we have entirely different data on how 6 month unlocks work out.

3 month unlocks are a great compromise... + AoC and only server starting = the undeniable Phinny magic. Truebox is mostly hype (sure a few box armies are prevented, doesn't stop all the problem players... and boxing isn't necessarily = the problem) but hype is part of the sell.

Selos is going to have a solid starting population if they leave the ruleset alone. Remove the word "ultracasual" as that label was a mistake. I personally believe the population will trail off and become niche well before its 25 months to live are up but that really doesn't matter anyways.

Mangler is also a niche... just not well aimed right now. Anyone liking long unlocks should be asking for Mangler to get them... and to lose the XP and death penalties (if you want some population on the server to play with aside from a tiny handful of classicist that want it slow grinding).

I think these two were intentionally meant as polar opposite niche servers. Aiming for discontent/losing interest and not playing players, not trying at all to fully drain population from the existing.

I think next years progression server(s) will be the wide-appeal [such as two Phinny with high XP, and one with free trade loot. Maybe even one with no truebox]. Timing-wise, next year may make sense to recommit the existing playerbase. They don't need that wide net right now.
  16. Jayjayjay Lorekeeper

6 month lockout would be great. back in 1999, only a few could enjoy this game fully because of tough competitions. now in TLP, same thing still happens because of short lockouts.
  17. ShivanAngel Augur

I am not against one of the servers having as long of lockouts as you want, but make it mangler and up the exp. (then it can be like every other TLP since fippy)

Selo's is something new to play with that hasnt been done before.
  18. Sethiroth Augur

While I absolutely agree that the lockout of a casual server absolutely must be longer than one month, 6 months is TOO long. A dead server is no good for anyone and 6 month servers have been tried before and tanked.

3 months is best imo, 4 at a push. Anything longer and people get bored and move on.