Really, Really, Dislike One Pick "Fix"

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Accipiter, Jun 10, 2021.

1. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

Yep, it'd work. Doesn't matter if you start with step 1 or 2. I could rename it step 1b if you like!
  2. wade_watts Augur

The only people that didn't like this change were the people trying to conveniently grief folks or camp named across multiple picks. This is the hope and change that we though Obama was going to bring but finally came through DPG.
  3. Tweakfour17 Augur

What about the people who /ooc CC? at the zone in, get crickets so they run down to their camp of choice to find it camped by someone who couldn't be bothered to respond? Used to be you could just pick over, you'd already made the trek. Now you start over.
    ForumBoss likes this.
  4. wade_watts Augur

This is why DPS races are now okay. If you didn't call your camp, it's essentially not camped.
    Skuz likes this.
  5. Accipiter Old Timer

You, sir, are a hero. :)
  6. Accipiter Old Timer

Yeah, that's always an awesome surprise.
  7. Ultrazen Augur

It's a pain, but it's much less of a pain that having box teams who have every spawn on a timer pop in right before the named spawns and sniping you. This was rampant at one point, especially in places like lower guk. 20 seconds to named spawn, poof, in comes 3 mages, 2 necros, and a cleric, all level 50. Best of luck with your dps race.

Pick starting you at zone is highly annoying, people popping in right before every named spawn was infuriating, take your choice I suppose.
    Skuz and wade_watts like this.
  8. Accipiter Old Timer

Thanks all for your feedback. I never had issues with people abusing pick hopping in the past but if this is the way the community wants it, I'm not complaining (any more).

9. Nickatropolis Augur

I do not like the change. It makes it very difficult to find an open camp. Prior to the change it was convenient to go to your desired camp, and then pick to the lowest pick and hope it was open. If it was, great, don't have to run back down, if its not, wait 5 mins and try again. Now you have to hope that people respond to camp check. People often call camps that are actually open because they think they can pull it but in reality aren't, was much better to be able to just pick around and find an open spot.
  10. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I am a boxer myself (3) but this change was absolutely necessarry.

So many times I would be hunting in a zone with 1 or 2 other (real players) only to clear a camp trying to pop a namer, and some boxer would pick zone right on top of the named spot and smash it, as he had the timer set for that spawn in multiple picks, camping across picks like that is simply disruptive and the ability to cross camp picks was never the intended purpose of the pick zone system.

And "spirit of the game" you 100% should have to travel to the camp in every pick you go to no matter how annoying you find it.
    Xerzist and Wyre Wintermute like this.
  11. Aiona Augur

I can understand being annoyed with it. I was at first too, to be honest.

But I feel that it is helpful and it seems to cut down on players hopping over just in time to KS or DPS race the named in my camps.

At Mischief launch, I heard about a trick to camp out and only have one player switch instances and then log the other group members back in, but I see someone already posted that so I hope that helps as a way to work with it.

I don't box anymore so I can see this being more annoying for you than for me, but I really am glad they changed it and it took a few weeks for me to warm up to this change.
  12. Elabone Augur

Careful using this tactic, as to some people it could look like your group warped into position. And if they report you, you would likely catch a suspension for exploiting.
    Other than that, it works great.
  13. Spooky Augur

Reduce/remove the pick timer. Succoring your group addresses the original intent behind the timer in almost every zone, so now it's just really annoying when trying to find an open camp.

@MODS
  14. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

Mass boxer :p....

The change really should have been a /pick timer that advances in time to solve the issue.
  15. Gnothappening Augur

I love the change. I don't care if people AOE, I do it myself, but pick hopping and taking all of the mobs in three picks was too much. Now you can AOE, but you are limited to one pick, which seems fair.
  16. Gnothappening Augur

One change I WOULD like to see happen is this. Instant picking as much as you want UNTIL you kill a mob. Once you and your group kill a mob, you are locked to that pick for 10 minutes.
  17. Accipiter Old Timer

I guess I hadn't considered AOE groups. I remember now that was one of the reasons for the change.
  18. Larsen Augur

It was wildly abusable to just sit in a certain spot with a tailor-made KS group and cycle through picks, ganking the named spawns one after another. It was hilariously broken and needed to be fixed. There were periods of time when zones became essentially unavailable to the whole server because a crew of KS-capable classes was just making it impossible for anyone to do anything. When six necros or shamans materialize out of thin air a minute before the named/PH is about to spawn and just slap six dots on it and get the kill, then move to the next pick, and the next, over and over, a fix is very much warranted. The minor hassle of having to IVU is nothing compared to the problem of people rendering zones unavailable to the whole playerbase.

The only thing I want changed about picks is when you zone out and can't zone back into the same pick if your /pick cooldown is up. That's stupid. Sometimes a guy dies and runs back, and zoning into your pick evokes his /pick cooldown. If he then zones into a train and has to zone back out again, he'll have to wait five minutes before he can zone into your pick once more. That's idiotic.
    Stymie likes this.
  19. Darchon_Xegony Augur

I think after this fix they failed to correct one thing. The pick lockout timer.

When you could park deep in a dungeon and just /pick over to another pick in the same camp it made sense to require 5 minutes between picks.

But now that you get punted to the safe spot in the zone I don’t see any reason we need such a long delay between picks. Dropping this down to 30 seconds would be great to allow people cycling through picks to find an open camp quickly.
    Accipiter and Tweakfour17 like this.
  20. BreakmanDX New Member

And this is why this whole thread's pointless. It's boxers whining that they can't pick their whole army over to the same spot and overpower normal players' camps and run them out anymore, it's boxers whining that they have to painstakingly move each character one at a time through treacherous dungeons instead of playing the game as intended and moving simultaneously as a group of real players. More and more threads on these forums are just boxers complaining while the real players are actually playing the game, and it's to a point where I'm tired of even looking at it.
    Xerzist likes this.