Really, Really, Dislike One Pick "Fix"

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Accipiter, Jun 10, 2021.

1. Accipiter Old Timer

Once upon a time you would pick into a new zone in exactly the spot you were when you picked over. Then the whiners complained about pick hopping. So DBG decided to send you back to the zone in (or safe spot) every time you pick. This hadn't affected me before because I was on Phinny.

Now I can say that I really hate this decision. In Guk, for example it's a colossal pain to have rebuff IVU and run back down, especially if you have to run 2-6 characters. Imagine Seb or Chardok or...

I don't expect a change, but let's hear from you. Do you like this "fix" or hate it?
    Montag and Nickatropolis like this.
  2. Machen New Member

I like it. Don't have to worry about people randomly picking into my camp any more.
  3. SoandsoForumUser Augur

Having to do the bedroom swim in lguk on 6 characters _really_ sucks. Still better than people popping into my camp every 2-3 minutes in chardok waiting on the monk pipe drop.
    Karreck and Wyre Wintermute like this.
  4. TheDohn Augur

Casting IVU counts as a colossal pain.
    HoodenShuklak likes this.
  5. Accipiter Old Timer

I assume that was a question. It can be, especially when it drops on one or two before you finish casting on the group. But no, the pain is the run times 2, or 3, or 4 or however many you have to move. Yes, I'm a boxer. Hate me.
  6. TheDohn Augur

• Warning: The EQ forums are for everyone. Please be respectful, constructive, and kind. Please welcome contrasting views and stay on topic. Do not insult or attack anyone.

A petty thread whining about non-issues of extremely minor inconveniences, ending in... this.

End to end, maximum cringy interneting nonsense. Please climb off your cross, Karen.
  7. Cainen Augur

I'm all for it.

It was WAY worse before when a group of 6 mages just appeared in your camp right before the ph spawned, killed it, and vanished.

Having to reinvis and move your toons is a bit annoying, but in theory you shouldnt be picking that often so its a small price to pay.
  8. Accipiter Old Timer

No, I'm curious how others view this. I'm not sure how that makes me a Karen. I didn't demand anything, Don.
  9. Fifth_Account New Member

I think it serves its purpose well and resolves the problem they set out to fix by making this change. It also has the added benefit of some useful, free succors in certain zones.

Of course it can be annoying when you want to swap picks in the same location, but not being able to do that was the entire point of the change, so I don't think complaining will do much good.

I'm also a boxer and don't mind it.
  10. Until We Felt Red Augur

It's not the most elegant solution, but as others have mentioned, it's better than the old system. I don't think they have a lot of different options as far as this is concerned and being able to pick over to the same camp is just too disruptive to those that might already be there.
    Karreck likes this.
  11. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

Being able to evac across zones via /pick is pretty handy.

Also, if the run really bothers you, you only really need to run one of your characters back to your camp if you're swapping picks. Say you're at LGuk frenzy and you want to swap your box crew from pick 1 to pick 2.

1) /pick one character from pick 1 to pick 2, probably a character that can self IVU. This places that one character at the zone line.
    2) /camp the rest of your crew while keeping them in group.
    3) Log the rest of your crew back in one at a time. They will automatically log into whatever pick their online group members are in, in this case pick 2.
    4) Run the character from step 1 down to camp.
    5) Fight monsters and win loots.
    Zynt and Wyre Wintermute like this.
  12. HoodenShuklak Augur

This change did a LOT to cut down on the worst of the worst griefers.

Maybe it never effected you but the popular named camps that were sat on by semi afk crews were absolutely terrible for average Joe tlper.

Besides the new pick does have small benefits like getting thru nektulos faster!
    Bardy McFly and andross77 like this.
  13. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

I might be missing something, but I think you need more steps before step 1, and between 1 and 2.

/pick when you are in a group takes the whole group
  14. Nenton Augur

I was going to take credit for this change when I was the first to suggest it back in May 2015 but then Google told me this wasn't actually patched until Oct. 2019? You guys were dealing with pick-hoppers in your camps for over 4 years? Holy hell change is slow in this game. No wonder people got attached to the exploitable method.

There are a couple problems remaining with /pick and getting succored when using it isn't one of them.

Camp hopping is still abuse-able if you log out everyone but 1 person, /pick with them and then the others log back in. That gets you up to 5 characters still in the same camp in a new pick with only one character who needs to deal with getting back.

Also, there are zones where /pick puts you facing the zone out. If you don't notice and move forward you've earned yourself a 5 minute wait to rejoin your group. Velks is a prime culprit.
    andross77, Bardy McFly and Accipiter like this.
  15. Ruhi Augur

there's a checkbox to unselect "pick as group"
    Wyre Wintermute and Niskin like this.
  16. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

Picking the entire group is an option for the group leader. Non-group leaders cannot pick the entire group even if they wanted to, and group leaders can simply de-select the option to pick as group and pick on their own if they choose.
  17. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Nenton explained it, you gotta flip step 1 and step 2.
  18. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Lots of explanations now actually. Good info, thanks.
  19. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

No. You don't.
  20. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

But that would work too, right? Camp rest of group, /pick with remaining character. Or uncheck the box and /pick with leader before they camp. I guess in the latter situation the timing is irrelevant.