Reality Check: Guide for New Phinny Players

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Pictarous, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Pictarous Augur

1. If you haven't already, use your 500 DB cash to buy the one time account bundle of 3 25% XP potions.
    2. Exp is slower than RF/LJ but not cripplingly slow, contrary to the doomsayers and average manic depressive EQ player.
    3. Pets are closer to classic - pets were are overpowered mess in LJ/RF. 90% of doomsaying vitriol is from Mage players who are not used to how mages actually were in-era. Mages, and their pets, are still strong. Very strong.
    4. You will most likely not raid. Get this out of your head. You will probably burn out around 35. Do not view this game with the intention of raiding. Get to 50, make that your goal, and you'll last longer.
    5. For the most part, camp gear later in life
    6. Bottling exists. Most are 2 boxes from people who don't know how to do things without a key broadcaster. Keep that in mind.
    7. STOP PLANNING FOR "X" EXPANSIONS AHEAD - PoP is in 1 year. You will have burned out by then.
    8. If you buy/use your monthly 500 DB cash to buy potions, save them for when you yourself have verified that you are in a solid, successful group in a very high xp camp/setup. Unrest mansion etc.
    9. Most of what you read and hear is hyperbole.
    10. Most of what you read and hear is hyperbole.
    11. Most of what you read and hear is hyperbole.
    12. If you can't play 15+ hours a week, don't freak out. Others are like you. The majority is like you. People fancy themselves as "hardcore" players and will post their past exploits - most players won't make it to 50.
    13. Population is going to drop after the first month. Has happened all on TLP servers.
    14. Take a deep breath. It's just a game.
    15. If you think you aren't going to be burnt out before the 90 day hits, you are in the vocal minority.
    16. DBG is a company that exists to turn a profit - expect them to do so. The XP rate difference should have been announced. It's probably an oversight. If it's not and the tinfoil hatters were right, then too bad. Play more hours, buy XP potions, or move to a different server if you don't like the timing. Several options are available now.
    17. This is the closest I've seen to a classic experience, not in rule set, but in terms of chat, people in zones, groups running etc. if you are expecting the game to be 1999 you are going to be disappointed. If you are expecting it to be like p99 or Red99, you will be disappointed.
    17. Go into this with no knowledge or preconceived ideas. Log on, try it out, if you have fun great, if not then that sucks and at least you only lost 14.99ish. Don't let people wind you up with these all or nothing posts
    Kridina, Brunlin, Gskiel and 6 others like this.
  2. MBear Augur

3 is badly incorrect. Most of it is coming from necros. Mage pets actually survived pretty well.
    7 is also very wrong. There is just under 11 months until PoP.
  3. Truthfire Lorekeeper

Stop projecting.
  4. Roxas Journeyman

And the most important one.

Remember that Boxers are Cancer to our lovely community.
    Delphwind and Alphont like this.
  5. Pictarous Augur

3. Insert Necro for Mage. Point the same.

7. Thanks for the edit, bad maths. Point is still the same
  6. MBear Augur

Seems like he at least put effort into the list and is trying to improve the community instead of tear it down.
    FurySoul and Felicite like this.
  7. Hoole Journeyman

8. Numiko Augur

15 is wrong too, should be 84 days not 90.
  9. Pictarous Augur

Yes, 84 days.

Regardless, people shouldn' freak out if they don't have 15+ hours a week or whatever to play based off of ((XP) x (84 days)). Plenty of people will be in Classic areas leveling still. And if not, you can pop into Kunark for a quick level or two so you can say, camp something you'd like without too much hassle. Works similarily with dungeons if you have a friend or two. Sure its not grinding the dungeons for hours, but you spend time there and get a feel for the place, see what youve wanted to see, and get some XP or maybe some loot you've wanted if you stick around. Worrying about nostalgia and what is optimal can be weird, and yes that forced wall of "No you don't have the option of this item/spell" is appealing for In-Era stuff. But at some point you have to bite the bullet and realize that if the population in general is going to rush for firsts/early gearing to show off in EC, then that is what the population is going to do. You can get discouraged and defeated because you think this time will be different, or you can accept it, and enjoy the fact that its pretty close and that alot of people are playing it.
  10. Drexll Augur

Yep, Necro here, my pet is nothing like classic, it's just bad, and the aggro seems borked too.
    MBear likes this.
  11. Kalandriel New Member

Where is the exp potion bundle located? I'm not seeing it generally in the marketplace, or under potions.
  12. Slartibartfast Journeyman

This is a temporary offer. When you claim your 500 coins for subbing, you will get a window with this offer. If you close the window, the offer expires.
  13. Eangel Elder

No announcement of xp nerf for the server and then this one time offer, well played DBG, well played. Tin foil hats may be warranted.
  14. TowerDefense Augur

Work on getting 1 level a day. Anything more than that is a bonus. You get 1 level a day and you will be max level with over a month left.
    Brunlin likes this.
  15. Weverley Augur

That window only open when u claim your 500db mine shows up b4 phinny started and on xmas day might still shows up
  16. Whales Aren't Orange Lorekeeper

Please unsticky the dev post above and sticky this one in it's place. Call it part of the "Communicating better with the players" initiative.
    Brunlin and Gskiel like this.
  17. vardune Augur

Please go play p99, dudes like u with that attitude make the traditional boxer angry.
    Brunlin likes this.
  18. andross77 Elder

Couldn't have said it better OP. People on these forums seem to forget those is a game, which is a luxury item. These guys need to learn some basic life principles like letting things go. Oh, I spent $15 on something that isn't what I thought it would be. Live and learn. Guess I'll move on to the next leisure activity. At least all you whiners get the OPPORTUNITY to waste your whiny a$$ time on Everquest. That means you are in a decent place in life (due to yourself or someone else carrying you).

It's literally insane of you guys to come here and whine about this insignificant stuff when there are so many more important things in life. Seriously you all sound like the WORST people to be around, I can't imagine anyone enjoys being in your presence. "Uh oh, the waiter brought 14 stuffed mushrooms instead of 15, here goes Bill!" "Uh oh, the Starbucks drink had a tiny bit less caramel than last time, here goes Bill!"

And I realize I'm now complaining about the complainers but that's because you brought me down to your horrible childish level. I'm gonna continue enjoying my level 8 druid in game and reading these forums with a mix of amusement and sadness.
    Gskiel likes this.
  19. Brunlin Augur

20. Lemuelbaruch Elder