Re-tuned HAs

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Galien, Jan 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rickoshay Journeyman

I sure wish DBG would make a decision about what they are going to do. My semi annual re-subscription is coming up in about a month. I want to know if DBG is going to try to keep EQ as a game for all players, or keep it tuned up for the elitist. I have 2 accounts I have had since 1999. I would like to re-subscribe. What's your decision DBG?
  2. Zhaunil_AB Augur

And this is what i doubt, really.
    If i wanted to grind out the new levels in Chapterhouse (which was still db to 105, no idea what it cons now), then noone should ever dare to think that i "should not".
    As i said, this is a MMO, not Railroad Tycoon.
    And i give them more credit than you obviously by thinking that they#d know better than that too.

The alternative, where i stand, is to simply change it back to do what it did before.
    Anything else, like suggesting XP reduction or anything like it, sounds like preemptive obedience or self-censorship to me where in fact none is needed.
    I am "ok" with Gribble-XP. i am also "ok" when ppl get more than that by assasination/headshot/decaping mobs which i cannot relate to since i do not group with those classes generally.
    But more than me just being "ok" with Gribble-XP, i actually think this (in it's pre-nerf form) even had "it's niche" in the game - especially for under-leveled, under-geared and under-AAd returners like i was.
  3. Aurastrider Augur

Good for you that you can still do this although I doubt you have had time to go back and test every HA and mission that has been affected. Judging by your name you play the best solo/molo class in game which is by no means a great indicator to judge other classes ability to do content. Not to mention your own gear and stat boosts obtained via achievements is not going to be the same as other players.
    Qazwsx likes this.
  4. Zhaunil_AB Augur

How can you really say "the other HAs are irrelevant" when this entire nerf affected and this entire thread/this discussion is about ALL HAs?
    Are you daft?
    Don't you get that the most irrelevant of them all ARE Gribbles, when it comes to this nerf?

So don't say "we" when all you mean is you.
    Because i absolutely HATE people trying to shift focus to where it doesn't belong and trying to shift the discussion away from the main focal point!
    If you are so hell-bent to speak about gribbles specifically, then go and make your own thread about them and how this change was good for them or whatever. but do everyone a favor and stop trying to reduce the general problem to Gribble's, for hell's sake!
    Qazwsx and Niskin like this.
  5. Kelthorg Lorekeeper

Almost 700 posts over 35 pages with around 32,000 views. We have two Developer posts in this thread...
    No promises any changes coming right now, but we've read through player feedback and are having some internal discussions about the nature of the scaling system.
    Roxxlyy, Jan 22, 2018

Copypasta-ing my comment from another thread here:

This hasn't fallen off of our radar. We've looked into a handful of options to make further adjustments to HAs, but we haven't quite yet rolled anything out from our end. I know this isn't the definitive answer everyone is looking for, but I wanted to take a moment to mention that it isn't being pushed aside or forgotten by any means, and that nothing has quite been finalized here.
    Roxxlyy, Yesterday at 2:00 PM
    No promises on any changes, and they have looked into some options. Oh, and this topic has NOT fallen of their radar.
    I find it difficult to express just how disappointing the response or lack thereof (at least a meaningful one) has been. I stated in an earlier post that I had cancelled my sub, which I have. I am now leaning towards walking away from the game completely because of how poorly this has been handled. :(
  6. Zhaunil_AB Augur

Well, that's something we all gotta live with i'm afraid.
    Something goes live, there's a problem with it and unless there is also a severe exploit involved, it gets fixed on next official patch day - if you are lucky.
    And i can relate to that, in part, since i know how software-projects are handled.
    From a customer point of view though, i agree completely with you.
    And i'd wish for more, and especially proactive, communication.
    Some polls on this would've gone a long way i feel, or a "what's in the pipeline" post.
    Far too often the first we see about something is the patch note, and by then it's already too late in 98% of the cases.
  7. Sissruukk Rogue One

Methinks you are the one with the Gribbles obsession, as much as you are telling others to not obsess over it. Just an observation.
    Whulfgar likes this.
  8. Zhaunil_AB Augur

Am i the one that keeps bringing them up, or am i merely responding to daft people that do?
    Perhaps looks closer?! Makes for better observations!
    Qazwsx likes this.
  9. Fohpo Augur

Unfortunately, the community doesn't always respond well to dev's responding - so it seems they avoid it.
  10. Whulfgar Augur

If this many people had issues with older content aka DH's HA's ..giving that type of AA xp .. perhaps Zhaunil_AB is actually in the minority of the EQ population, with his defense of .. Keeping the HA's xp same as it was?

This is how I see it, now that I've read threw the entire thread since my last couple posts.
  11. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

No.
  12. Paradisic_parasite Elder

Wrong. Anashti Sul, Enslaver of Souls mission at 110 is harder than anything in ROS.
    Rickoshay and Qazwsx like this.
  13. Sissruukk Rogue One

Sometimes it is best not to belabor something that people keep bringing up just to try to win argument points?
    Look, EVERYONE gets that there are more HAs than just Gribble. EVERYONE. What you seem to fail to grasp though is that Gribble is probably 70%-80% of HA traffic, and that is probably lowballing it. That is why people bring up Gribble, because it is the most recognizable HA set because it is the most used HA set. In reading a lot of people's responses and comments here, Gribble = HA. At this point, you are just arguing semantics. Did Gribble ask for his name to be used a stand in for the term HA? I doubt it, but it happened. Even I am guilty of doing so.
    But here, to make you feel better about your anti-Gribble campaign, I made you a campaign button you can wear.
    [IMG]
  14. Zhaunil_AB Augur

I don't fail to grasp anything, you genius.
    On second thought, yes i do: your thought- and colorful post does not explain why people keep bringing up that TINY fraction of HAs in THIS CONTEXT and with "reasons" that, by admittance of Devs, has nothing to do with what we see in the first place.
    But thanks for your contribution, you get a star for trying!
  15. Tornicade_IV Augur

this scaling impacts any ha where mobs are level 102+.
    so anyone 98 doing an ha with a red mob is impacted.
    at 100 anyone with yellow or red mobs are impacted
    at 102 anyone with even cone, Yellow and red mobs are impacted.
    What this means ia someone who can molo buddy up for an HA with a full set of TBM gear with 95 level TBM augs can get to level 100 upgrade to a complete set of 100 TBM augs with dropped base gear and have a harder time doing these missions than they did with lesser gear, levels and aas.

That isn't scaling. its penalizing players for progressing and advancing their toon.

There is no way shape or form that these ha's at 110 should be tuned to what appears to be a level 110 ros geared toon that more than likely doesn't exist for the majority of players and then scaled backwards.

They got away with it when TBM was released in 2015 because TBM itemization itself allowed lower levels to upgrade their gear. so the complaints died off after a month.

That isn't gonna happen this time around as the people progressing have no better gear options and leveling only scales against them

I see alot fo 105's who have returned in the last year or so. COTF and TBM aren't the reason why they came back but its a big reason they stayed. they aren't fully equipped in EOK gear at this point but many of them purchased the Expansion so they could level up and get that heavily promoted tradeskill gear. Now they are stuck at 10-110 with a half of set of 106 tradeskill gear. waiting their turn for EOK tier 2 drops or spend a lot of currency getting it from the ros vendor( if this is even a thing).

They cant molo anything in ROS so are very group dependent. If there is no group to be found they can go do some ha's or work on progression missed... but no with the scaling based on a 110 average toon with gear they don't even have yet they cant even do those.

110 is a huge bump from 105 . uptuning and backwards scaling based on that bump isn't gonna go away after a month like it did with the TBM release.
  16. Tornicade_IV Augur

I would doubt Gribble traffic is any more than 40% of the Traffic. I see a lot of people at the Clayton Teek getting their daily bonus missions and I think more people do TBM missions than you think .

The point is the gribbles had nothing to do with the ha scaling and the people doing gribbles ha's are the least impacted by this change.

if anything the HA scaling was implemented on fear that missions like the Great Hunt or always follow the money would become the new gribbles.

I think people perfectly understand why those were tuned up for 106-110. The concern is how much it was tuned up and the backwards scaling.

Gribbles itself is an anomaly of the ha's yet people present them as the standard.

These threads about the retune and scaling aren't about the gribbles. those mobs are mostly blue and were the least impacted by the changes. so gribbles may be ha's but ha's aren't gribbles

although I am sure I would get more interest forming a group for a gribble run in plane of health. I doubt they would stay long though
    Genoane and Niskin like this.
  17. wingz-83 Augur

Let's reverse the situation.

HA's / missions are so absurdly easy they are giving crazy XP and the mobs just die with a couple hits regardless due to low damage/hp tables.

Does anyone think for two seconds that this patch wouldn't be reversed within a day or two..likely hours?

It would...you know it. I know it. Players are being impacted positively...even if not intended.

However the reality is players are being impacted negatively? Eh..we'll look into it and get back with you.

Stellar.

This is probably one of those business situations where mgmt never wants to admit they screwed up. One of those..we invested so much time / man hours / money into this system we aren't going to scrap it. Instead of just admitting they screwed up and make their customers happy.
  18. Bigstomp Augur

I have no idea or no care how much xp they give (although it should be about relevant for the difficulty). XP is easy to get.

I just think stuff should not scale up so people who couldn't win before can go win now that they have a new expansion.
  19. Archonia New Member

Don't you mean: Things should NOT scale such that people who COULD win it before CAN'T win it now due to a new expansion increasing the level cap?

Effectively, that someone who has used HAs to level from any level (let's say 85, since a lot of people grab a heroic character, and for those who don't, grinding to 85 isn't all that difficult) to 105 should then find it impossible to keep doing the very same HAs with which they are familiar because leveling to 106 and beyond has them scaling less than the HAs themselves?

I don't really have a horse in this race, but if something that is intended to scale to character level can actually outscale them, so that content (scaled to your level) is challenging 85-105, but impossible to do once you hit 106 unless you go off and grind AAs or farm gear somewhere else, then by all appearances something is broken. It's hard to think that this is "working as intended."
    Gyurika Godofwar and Niskin like this.
  20. Fohpo Augur

I don't think a lot of people aren't arguing that they couldn't have nerfed the XP rewarded, it's more the fact that the ridiculous scaling of mobs doesn't follow any previous precedent. Going from one expansion to the next, content has gotten easier - sometimes still requiring a group, sometimes not - but going into some TBM HAs right now at 106+ is harder than some EoK or RoS missions. This doesn't follow the logic or flow of the majority of MMOs (and EverQuest) that has been accepted as the standard for what, 20 years? I don't remember going back to do PoP trials in OoW and them being significantly harder.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.