Re-tuned HAs

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Galien, Jan 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sindace Elder

I would argue this had zero benefits to anyone. The only people that are okay with the change are raiders who long ago did the progression everyone else is getting hosed on now and have no reason to go back to the revamped versions. It's not as if the scaling up increased exp or loots for raiders to go back and want to burn through TBM HAs again. Nope, just takes longer for the same loot that has rotted for ages. I know more than a few that were surprised by the degree of the tuning up, but no positive surprises anywhere to be found.

100% behind the roll it back to the version that actually worked.
  2. Scorrpio Augur

Thanks for update.
    And while you may not have decided what to do next, can you guys at least explain the reason for the change? I mean, someone must have suggested the change and backed it up by some sort of reasoning for it to go live. We would very much like to hear that reasoning. No need to name names.

If you decide not to provide it, people will be coming up with their own. Things like:
    A. There is no reasoning. Just blind fiddling with controls without a clue. Means this game is going to the dogs, time to run.
    B. A Whulfgar mentality dev is in control. Fun is for beloved raiders only. All others can go pound sand. And all others will. And take their money with them.
    C. Execs have decided to shut EQ down. But they want it done in a way that people can't demand refunds.

So which one is it?
  3. Tornicade_IV Augur

Another misconception is that HA's are the fastest way to level from 105.. it isn't.. eok is the fastest. I can already tank some mobs in EOK at 102. I doubt I will have any problems at 105 since in the static world improving your toon actually has an impact.

People like HA;s for progression but they also like them for variety. The task steps change and you can do a mission 3 or times and they give ya different task. It is much better than the monotony of sitting in a zone and killing the same mob over and over that for some reason people want to call hardcore and skill while bashing aa's because there are 4 or 5 easy ones out of 32 plus.
    Gyurika Godofwar, Mordeen and Sindace like this.
  4. Sissruukk Rogue One

Not much of a variety, though, when you get the same tasks over and over with each reset of the tasks. It might break up the monotony of sitting in a zone beating on the same thing over and over again, but trust me, I had no variety after running Gribbles a few times. Running Gribbles became monotonous in its own way, hence my never becoming addicted to running them.
  5. Tornicade_IV Augur

I am happy that they have decided that it is a problem.

pure speculation on my part but tis sounds like applied the same adjustment to the ha's as they did when TBM was released.

Which upset people at the time but the scale bump wasn't as severe as what you will find in a level increase scale that occurred this time around.

Most likely the HA instance generator has a base value and then adjustments are made by the individual ha.

in the month that ROS was released if the data from a variety of Ha;s showed the 106-110's doing the ha's significantly faster ( Triple the DPs). then they would of had to slow players down because even though its old content. it also is a pl tool by design.

If unadjusted the scaling put level 110's in a position to turn all the instanced content into Gribbles then it would definitely be something they needed to address.

so I will go with
    D) they implemented the process already in place to address the issue which was the change that took the least amount of time

6. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I never really did gribbles enough to get bored with them. For me I would occasionally do a few for a change of pace or when I was busy with RL and afk a lot. I did think they were a great way for those with little play time to keep caught up in the game. If your RL is so busy you only have a short time in game you probably also don't want to get into some heavy game play. Gribbles and the like were like reading a comic book when you just don't fell like starting a novel.
  7. Tornicade_IV Augur

As I have said before. I have only run the gribbles mission once each. so I am not sure why if that's all the ha's you do why you wouldn't just goto EOK .

Personally I typically just grab whatever two Dailey HA bonus missions Clayton is offering. (I don't do the Neriak missions nor the Tier 2 COTFS ha's nor the EOK HA's because they are too long and difficult to molo)

Lately though ive been working on my Savior achievements so I haven't been really doing any of the daily's.
  8. Kelthorg Lorekeeper

Ok, cool. I hope this means that....
    No promises any changes coming right now, but we've read through player feedback and are having some internal discussions about the nature of the scaling system.
    Roxxlyy, Jan 22, 2018
    ;)
  9. Zhaunil_AB Augur

That is your explanation of thing, it isn't theirs.
    According to Dev posts, all they were doing is "fix the scaling" which "did not work as planned".
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  10. Zhaunil_AB Augur

True.
    But yet another post that is ONLY about Gribbles, when this is about so much more.
    Look beyond Gribbles, please!
    If Gribbles were the or an issue ( i do not think they are - reward vs boredom in this case, lol) then they were targeted separately.

When people here speak about variety, as you say, they don't think of Gribbles - but of Neriak, Bixies and others instead.
    Heck, even some non-Gribble DH ones are "fun" (if a bit too long to be done often).
  11. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Thank you for the update. Please underline to the group that this is hindering progression for those of us who actually ENJOY the content you've created and not just a tiny pocket of mindless, repetitive missions like Gribbles. I found that progression rewards and powering up my character provide faster overall XP than grinding missions or EXP in EoK anyway - not that I am looking for fast EXP.

Now my preferred path of progression and advancement is blocked due to the HA scaling changes. Sadly, even another level increase will no longer improve my chances because the scaling will ensure it's always out of reach.
  12. Arthurr New Member

Let's all Wake up to basic facts:

1) In 12 days there are 32 pages of responses to this . . HA TUNING thread
    2) Of the respondents who address this change the overwhelming majority are Against it.
    3) If HA's were not a key component of EQ Play this level of response wouldn't be occurring.
    4) For serious Raiders the change isn't as important as it is to the "Casual Players"
    5) DBG's has been constantly striving to improve game play and customer support.
    6) /Petitions are answered Fast, with Player satisfaction in mind. All but a 1st in EQ.
    7) Issues like 1K stacks of TS couldn't be made by any other than a serious player (They'd not notice otherwise).

Ok, I'll now my subjective personal input:

>Are You Nuts DBG's???
    >Who would ever take a popular component of EQ and Smash it??
    >Going forward any changes felt for the betterment of the game, even if disagreed with, are clearly the prerogative of the developers. Going backwards and making heretofore wildly popular aspects of the game either stamped out or so radically changed as to affect the very flavor of the game is pure Hubris. Caprices heavy handed changes to basic game play have always been met with Anger and Frustration. One of the joys of EQ is the ability to go back in earlier levels with current gear and hack away at features you either want to farm or find possible to grind with less than current gear. Screw with that at your own Peril.

I have developed a great deal of respect for DBG's and their approach to the game until now. This is the kind of irresponsible behavior exhibited in the past by Sony which led to a huge drop in the player base. Please pay attention developers! Fix broken parts of the game, make improvements to game play like the 1K TS stacks, but Never alter the feel and flavor of the game itself!

Arthurr
  13. loagin New Member

I'm all for turning HA's back to what they were. I get they want to drive everyone to the new content, Maybe their feelings were hurt because people were using the HA's to level instead of the shiny new zones they created, I don't know. But it's clear it didn't work, at all. Level 110 mobs that still drop level 100 gear as well? And the experience they give out now compared to the time it takes to do them is a joke, Hell, they didn't even take this long when we were level 100. Unfortunately, those that still need certain tasks, missions, many are S.O.L. being unable to do them now.
  14. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

The way I see it you need to buy the expansion just to get to level 110 so they should be happy people bought it.

I have to suspect one of the metrics they get scored on is how many players use the new expansion. If not enough are using it they try to change things to push people into it. If they change the new expansion then they are showing they didn't do a good job. Change older content in the guise of fixing it and it is no reflection on the new expansion. The new expansion wasn't bad the old content was. *shrugs* Pulled that one right out of the air but one of the only things that makes any sense to me.
    Gyurika Godofwar, Caell and Mordeen like this.
  15. segap Augur

None of the HAs offer any sort of "variety" if run multiple times. Each variation tends to be little more than changing the names/model of mobs for each step or changing what drop needs to be looted. Some of the TBM ones tried to get more creative by having you just kill mobs in a different section of the zone for each step. Regardless, it's always a copy and paste with very minor deviations. And if you need to do any particular one multiple times (progression or Hunter), you end up hoping for whichever version requires the least running around. No version is more interesting or challenging than another, but some variants reduce annoyances.

HAs tend to be nothing more than scripted, linear game play that tells you what you're supposed to do. They lend themselves to lazy game play.
  16. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

One man's lazy game play is another man's relaxed game play.

I would probably also say that the HAs offer more variety then a mission that doesn't change at all which really would be the only thing you can compare them to. And you could argue that static zones offer themselves up to the laziest game play because you can sit and camp one named over and over never having to request a task or run around. *shrugs*

Now having to do the same HA 10 times to progress in content could be considered lazy but the devs only have so much effort they can put into things so I get it.
  17. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

What it all really comes down to is some players like more relaxed game play and some like more intense game play. Since we aren't ever going to get a big influx of new people Daybreak needs to try and hang on to all of us whether we play hard core or not.

This thread isnt so much about people complaining about things being hard or not boring or exciting or not exciting its about the standard paradigm eq has followed that older content should get easier as new expansions come out. Daybreak broke this with the recent changes. People haven't stuck with EQ over the years for basic paradigms to be rewritten and change how the game is designed.
    Pani, Gyurika Godofwar and Zhaunil_AB like this.
  18. Zhaunil_AB Augur

*sigh*
    And what are you trying to tell me with this?
    That all you can think of is picking one HA and doing it over and over?

I am sure that for you there is no "variety" in doing a bixie theme followed by a neriak one, doing a TEWK one for good measure in an evening. I guess you are of the opinion that sitting in one place in HS and pull 3different kids of mobs all night long are enough variety.

I agree on the "over and over" part you mention - noone even questions that - and noone using "variety" here was even remotely referring to such, so you bringing that up as "your point" is kind of moot really. And yes, the steps across HAs are similar and while there are different variants within one and the same HA they're still similar enough.
    Still, with the portal attuning there is a whole lot of different "themes" within reach, making for evenings that are NOT doing the same "over and over again".

As for the "lazy gameplay" remark:
    One can argue that one can "play lazy" in each and every environment, based on the company one is with.
    (e.g. i consider a BER doing less than 20k scaled "lazy" no matter the circumstances, especially when the WAR in group or raid does (way) more than that)

So, what's that supposed to tell me?
  19. Sissruukk Rogue One

I am looking beyond Gribbles, I just used Gribbles as the example because it is the most used HA. Secondly, I am speaking from my personal experience...I don't like running missions over and over again without a good reason to be running it over and over again (i.e. helping someone out with progression is a reason for me to do it). Again, from my own personal experience, I dislike linear zones, which is what most HAs are. I love open world, being able to move around and do stuff. I can't really describe how it feels to me in my mind, the difference between HAs and open world zones, but I feel confined in HAs, where as I don't in open world zone.
  20. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Yeah I missed it too.... anything in the game can be overdone over and over and as you say anything can have a lazy aspect to it too you make a very good point.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.