re: no box progression server

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Zhutuak, Jul 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zhutuak Augur

So essentially this leaves legit boxers to deal with the people who use 3rd party software to box, as a boxer myself, this does not seem very fair.

I am asking, are you only offering a no boxing server because it is the easiest solution to having no 3rd party software on a live or tlp server?

Is it possible to remove the ability of folks to use the 3rd party software to aid in boxing on any server and if so, why not run a poll to see exactly what sort of server the player base really wants?

No boxing at all or no 3rd party software, legit boxing welcome type of choices.

Of course, I am making this post because being a legit boxer making every single key stroke for each account, I would like to play with a decent community instead of the ones who think might makes right.

Please consider this, I see many people who want no box servers but I see just as many or more who legit box or have no problems with those that do. If it is at all possible to eliminate 3rd party software but still allow game client ui boxing, I would like to see it as an option as it caters to my and I am assuming many others play style.

Do not punish the boxers for the problems created by 3rd party programs. Please.
  2. Gregolo Augur

You made a thread, to reply to another thread. That's currently active and not locked.

Are... Are you okay?
    Steampunk likes this.
  3. Zhutuak Augur

I am fine and you are right, perhaps it should have been placed in the no box progression server thread, however this is about taking an actual vote to determine if that is truly what the player base wants.

I do not want that to get lost in the no box thread, I feel it deserves it`s own thread. Perhaps it is being discussed in the no box thread, I did not read the whole thread. If so, my apologies.
  4. Eqplayer1999 Elder

it is what alot want, no mage crews ruining our servers , and if the best way to combat that is a no box server, to play EQ the was it was intended, grouping with 5 other real players and raiding with 25+ air breathers
  5. Tantrasil New Member

How about limit the game to one ip address from one computer at a time. That would make the server awesome.
    Fhiele likes this.
  6. Vlerg Augur

I don't think you understand how IP address are distributed ( and how easy it is to spoof them).
    Steampunk likes this.
  7. Tantrasil New Member

Better than not having that in place?

Instead of saying I'm wrong, at least provide an answer to something better next time. Solutions to the problem at hand would be great.
  8. Gregolo Augur

Here's a fun reality check. There is no solution.

There's literally no way to appropriately police a non box server. Only reason p99 even sort of has success with it is because who the hell actually plays on p99. They are also not held to any legal standard so they're allowed to be stupid and ban on a whim.
    Behee likes this.
  9. Tantrasil New Member

Oh I think I figured it out. Re-create the Legends server, make it cost $35 a month and you can't use kronos.

I think that would work.
    Fhiele likes this.
  10. Zhutuak Augur

I can totally understand this, I too loved playing a single account till about 2001. then I found eqw and started boxing, at the time it was illegal, however it was not like I was competing w/ guilds on current content by any stretch of the imagination.

As a boxer, I too do not want to have to deal w/ 3rd party mage bot crews. It does not seem right to me to cater to just single players (which I am sure are a majority) while leaving those of us who do not cause problems for others while boxing out in the cold.

We seem to be getting punished even though we did nothing wrong.
  11. TL_KRONOLORD Augur

P99 is able to maintain a no-box policy because it has volunteers physically running around checking if people are boxing. Their methods for proving someone is abusing the rule aren't perfect but they aren't held to some high legal standard because they aren't a profit generating entity.
    Rhoulicas likes this.
  12. Tintaglia Elder

Any poll question regarding a no boxing server (again it needs to be said they are NOT going to implement this on any current server) needs to be worded exactly as thus:

* Would you play on a special rule set server that restricted gameplay to one client active per PC? (Yes or No response choices only)

* Would you pay a premium fee to access this special rules server? (Yes or no responses only)

That would gauge interest AND show that people are willing to spend more money to play somewhere that doesn't allow the current toxic game play.
    Behee likes this.
  13. Sinzz Augur

this could work however im betting it wouldn't be very popular, people box for several reasons.
    all or of not most is because of the current player base and the general rudeness and lack of respect players have for each other.
    so imagine being forced to play with the guy whos watching game of thrones while dpsing 2dps per mob
    or being forced to play with the ladie whos on facebook trying to get next level of candy crush while healing you
    ohh and don't forget the cleric who begs for group gets to location gets set up and then says he has to log cause his wife is home.
    or the guy who ninja loots everything cause he and his alts need this stuff.
    or even better the person whos actually boxing on 2 computers in two totally different groups trying to keep up as so none notices what hes doing.
  14. Vlerg Augur

no... no... it's worse than having nothing.

it means families who play EQ together cannot play together
    Student in residence who share a common IP cannot play together.

it also means any boxer or botter worth 2 grains of salt will be able to trick that system in few seconds... but casual joe who's really bad with computers cannot play with family in his house.

you didn't provide an answer at all. it's a flat out stupid idea... it was stupid back in 1990s, it's stupid in 2015.

Locking EQ to 1 active account per computer also won't fix the problem.. while definatly harder to hack through, i am 200% confident the creators of [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software] or that-other-program-who-shall-not-be-name have alot more time/dedication than the EQ devs. ( on top of a whole lot of legal issues about Daybreak not being able to install wathever they want on my computer).

My solution? instances and expedition.
    Behee likes this.
  15. Zhutuak Augur

Hopefully Tin, they can actually not allow 3rd party use on the potential new server and offer that as an option in the poll too. If the vote is close enough, perhaps do two servers for both play styles.

My gut feeling is, boxing should be allowed as it has been an integral part of the game for sometime, even since it was illegal.

Since they cant seem to fix the game mechanics of pets at low levels (monks too), it seems to me to be the logical solution is to not allow 3rd party emulating software, somehow.

It might actually take a month to kill a world boss (prob not) w/o all the 3rd party mage bot crews.

Free transfers to new server would be nice too.
  16. Hateseeker Augur

I fully agree with the OP. Daybreak is considering a server where they lock it to one client per PC because it would be easier than using GMs to police third party program use. People who 2 or 3 box, or even people who 6 box but switch between windows to issue unique commands, they aren't the problem, but they would be exterminated with such a server.

But here's the thing - if they make such a server, and then IF it still has 6 boxers simulcasting, what are they going to do? Note the "if", as I know some of you think it's easy to detect players using the workarounds.
  17. Zhutuak Augur

The problem with this is instances will simply provide more content for the 3rd party software users to exploit. Everyone is instance hopping, you think the mage bot crews will not be later today or even spreading their crews out between the instances and calling the camps?

Some of these guys have up to 18+ accts, what is to stop them from monopolizing the additional content?

As far as expeditions go, do you mean personal instances like wow?
  18. Tantrasil New Member

If I didn't provide an answer, how is it a stupid idea? The idea was the answer. However....

I do like your solution. Thank you for actually providing meaningful input this time around.
  19. Zhutuak Augur

I agree Hateseeker, I have no intention of playing or staying on LJ if they open a new no box server. Nor do I intend on playing one account when then game allows me to play multiple. I too would be gone, in fact I almost left two days ago after losing Rokyl twice after engaging first to these mage bot crews.

Hell, they time the spawns, camp out at the location, log back in to kill, does not matter who is working towards the npc at the time or who has engaged, since they timed it, they feel it is theirs. Does not matter if they were not logged in or at a keyboard to answer a cc, might makes right and it is when their might is not even being generated by individual key strokes for each command to each account.

I am on the edge of leaving, I am hoping this works out for the majority of players while leaving the minority (by a long shot) of 3rd party program users out in the cold.
  20. Glistarian Augur

LOL. "Legal Standard".

There's no "legal standard" preventing Daybreak from banning boxers, or people they suspect of boxing. They can ban you any time they like.

Anyone tossing out "legal standard" is just a boxer trying to muddy the waters.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.