Rare+ Trade skill drops

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Mazame, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Mazame Augur

Due to the " Artisan's Prize " many people have been going back to work on trade skills. With this return we have found many of the items needed are rare. One example of many is "Gelidran Ice" This item drops in 1 zone only. Having clear the zone every re spawn for 8+ hour on Saturday for the last 4 weeks as well as scatter hour during the week. I have spent over 40 hours and countless kills to have found 7 Gelidran Ice. As the number needed is 24 this means it will take about 12 weeks more of farming grey con mobs.

My thought would be if you could please add some of the Rare+ trade skill drops to upcoming content at uncommon level.

I not saying you have to add all the rare drops to every exp. but adding a few to each exp would increase the chances of seeing them. After all with my example of Gelidran Ice when OOW was current there were a lot more people farming the zone and more of a chance to find it in the /baz.

Many players do not want to spend time farming grey mobs by them self when they could be off helping other in current content. So by adding some of these rare drops to new content loot tables people can then make the choice to mass kill old content or collect as they go in new content.

Just my thoughts.
  2. Greymantle Augur

I feel your pain and concour. Between the geledrian ice and pyrillian flames i spent WAYYYY to much time faming . Considering you need 24 of each to make all the recipes, not just for the aug, but to max skill. The drop rate is nuts.

Another one that is a pita is the Ice of Velious , used in 54 various recipies. It is far to rare for that.
  3. AcemoneyFV Augur

As someone who hasn't started this yet, I agree as well!
  4. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

I think it would be easier to convince them to increase the drop rate vs adding them to the new expansion drop tables.
    Allayna and Duder like this.
  5. Natal Augur

You do not have to do all of the recipes, just a certain number, to max your skill. So you can avoid the recipes with very rare drops if you don't want to farm them.
  6. Mazame Augur

I thought about that but then it effects TLP servers. My thought with adding it to new content is 2 fold.

1st the TLP servers have the same drop rate it always been for when it current for them. and then by the time people reach the point they are working on the aug it would add in that effort with out having to go back and farm grey cons.

When the content is current you have more people in the zone farming the drop even if they are selling them in the baz. But on live when every one 110 you only have 1 person clearing the zone at a time and some of the drops you can farm for 3 days and not see one. for me that when it becomes an issue to address.

By adding some of the rare drop / very rare drops to current content at a uncommon drop rate it would increase the supply of these drops.

Also none of the current content TS item have the insane drop rate that these items did. That why back in the day you could do any thing to up your skill and these rare drop were more like gear drops for those that found them.
  7. Mazame Augur

no you don't have to do 100% of all of them but like ice of velious that takes 54 you do end up having to farm rare drops at some point. All I am asking is they up the supply of these drops because farming grey mobs for weeks on end is not fun.
  8. Natal Augur

As I said, you don't need to do all the rare drop recipes. There are enough in game to avoid most of them.
    Duder likes this.
  9. Moege Augur

The geledrian ice and pyrillian flames I agree on but Ice of Velious is is really no longer needed RoS and TBL recipes replaced those that do not use the temporary ice. Actually wonder if the geledrian/pyrillian is not also replaced there are way more recipes that now count.
  10. Greymantle Augur

Yes i know about the temp ice maker. I have one, thing is in the path to MAX skill levels to 350 you need to 'learn' new recipes. Having IoV used in 20+ recipes in baking alone, where it is the ONLY none vender item in the recipes is a PITA. There are a lot of recipes, but each requires for the most part , one or more drop items. In a lot of cases the drop item is only used in one recipe. In some cases it has been faster for me to go farm 20 diffent items in various zones than it has been to attempt to collect 20 IoV. If the 'unpopular' drop items are so easy to find , why are the 'popular' items so difficult to accumulate?
  11. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

It would make sense to add Ice of Velious to the new expansion as that is where it is based, a few new ice cream recipes would be nice too.
    Spellfire and MasterMagnus like this.
  12. Irongron New Member

These items used to drop a lot more then they do now, There is a lot of time involved in just farming and combining and setting up space on accounts, Was it really necessary to make it harder then it needed to be Mr. Trade skill Developer....
    Greymantle likes this.
  13. Nuttann Elder

Like some of the people here, I skipped the Pyr Flames, Gel. Ice, and a few other rare items for various skills. While not dropping like candy, farming Ice of Velious was no where near as hard. In fact, I didn't even finish all the IoV recipes as I hit 350 before doing them all. I also skipped bloodroot, bloated root worms, and many of the stones from Discord.

Since then expansions have added more recipes that count so there are even more that can be skipped. The next expansion may very well add even more recipes that count. So this has become a bit easier and may continue to get easier to max as time goes on.

As far as the Ice of Velious, while a lot of people list Velious zones for farming them, I acquired most of mine outside of Velious both older zones like Rathe Mountains and newer zones like Twilight Sea. I don't have logs going back further or would mention other zones outside of Velious. As far as Velious, I did farm a bunch running around slaughtering the Tizmaks in the caves in Great Divide. A pass through those caves would get me about 0-3 drops. But at the same time I was getting velium weapons to convert to ore.

One good thing about the TS is that if you don't get to 350, each TS point helps you succeed in combines. And if doing the Artisan's Prize, even without being able to do the class/race restricted skills, I was able to max the prize well before getting my last skill (Research) to 350. I think it was about 320. And even then the Artisan's Prize gets incrementally better. So not maxing it can still give you a really nice stat aug.
    Spellfire and yosco like this.
  14. Lianeb Augur

You have to gain 420 points above 300 using any combination of trade skills available to your class race combo, to max out your AP

Each TS outside the main 9, allows for lesser skills in each to reach max, because each one adds 50 more points to shuffle around to get to 420
    KarmaKitty and yosco like this.
  15. Stephen51 Augur

My Tradeskill mantra is this;
    Stuff only drops when you don't need it or aren't looking for it. As soon as you need/want it, it never/rarely drops.

The amount of time I spent looking for a bloodroot for brewing. I eventually got 1 from a friend. I am now farming gems for JC. The gems aren't dropping but I have 6 bloodroot!
    Greymantle and Yinla like this.
  16. AcemoneyFV Augur

I thought I was the only one! Same goes for questing. When I just kill or work on quests not needing the items dropping, they drop pretty commonly.

As soon as I get the quest that needs said items that were dropping, they no longer drop. Advanced Loot Window is great if you can grab the quest before the items leave your window, but I feel this post.