Rare mob spawn rate

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Ozon, Dec 29, 2022.

1. Windance Augur

Ironically, named seem to be more likely to spawn shortly after complaining loudly in guild, global, and/or forums. o_O
  2. Windance Augur

Lets flip the question around. How long (on average) should to take to spawn a "rare"?

Personally, I think the named spawn rates are far too low and there is almost no incentive to grind our PH's to get them to spawn. ( other than hunter credit )

I'd like to see the named spawn/drop rates drastically increased to the point where they are a viable alternative to doing missions.
  3. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Yes, and the debate here is just how "rare" is fair and equitable to human beings who do not poopsock. It is clear, something is off numbers wise.
  4. Cloud the Third Augur

https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/npc.html?id=6510

IMO if any mob can't be camped and found within 4 hours of non-stop playtime it should not be part of a hunter achievement. I am fine with having extra rare mobs with better loot but don't put them on an achievement.
  5. Tucoh Augur

I'm not sure if you're saying this, but there is nothing that increases or decreases spawn rates based on recent spawns. So if someone were to witness 100 consecutive spawns of a PH or were to witness 100 segregated spawns of that PH across a month, it would be just as valid of a data point.

Exceptions occur when the spawn rate changes due to events, or the spawn cycle is complex and harder to measure like Quillmane.
  6. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

When I win the Powerball and buy Daybreak, adding a counter to PH's to slowly increase named spawn odds is in my top ten.
  7. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Let us do a thought experiment. Here a person only views PHers spawn. Sometimes they spend 10 minutes watching, other times they spend a few hours watching. Now their is also an all seeing being who sees all spawns. The person only sees that the mob isn't spawning and decides that there is a problem with the spawn rate. However the all-seeing being sees that the rare just spawned immediately before the person started watching and immediately after they stopped watching. The person is not seeing an issue with the spawn rate, but instead their data set is just limited in a way to mislead them to that finding.

100 consecutive spawns would be a more valid data point, because the goal is for the rare to spawn so often on average. For example, if RareMob1 is intended to spawn in average. 1 an hour, and spawns 5 time in one hour but none in the next 4 that is holding to form. In this case it is extremely easy over a month to have 100 instances where it did not spawn.

So while the segregated spawns are not completely invalid, they are decidedly less valid than a continuous set of observations. Or in the case of EQ, the devs can actually look at the actual spawn rates and see if they are working correctly.
  8. Windance Augur

As long as the number of observations/spawns are the same it doesn't matter when they occur. You could take 100 observations in row, or split them up into groups of 10, or sample them at 100 different points in time.

For the players it doesn't matter what the dev's desired spawn rate is. They/we obviously feel it is too low.
  9. Tucoh Augur

I don't believe that's correct.

My understanding is that if the all seeing eye saw 100 consecutive spawns of the named/PH and a rando person saw 100 separate spawns over a couple dozen of sampling events, they'd both have the same level of validity.

To your thought experiment, imagine if the named spawn a few times before the all-seeing eye turned its ethereal gaze upon the zone and after it left. It'd miss out on events that would change its perception of the spawn rate.

You could prove this by rolling a twenty sided dice a billion times and then choosing different ways to sample the results 100 times. If you were to determine the likelihood of it rolling a D20, you'd have the same likelihood to get the right answer of 5% no matter if you took a random sampling, consecutive sampling, first 100, last 100, only sampled prime numbers, etc.
  10. Alena Elder

For me it is very clear:
    The devs can raise the spawn rate. That means the probability is controlled be them.That means that if I am camping a certain area and have enough kills then the propability must be accordingly higher then usual when camping mobs. If not then something is wrong either with the "probability knob" or the so-called random gen which is never a real "random gen", else the "probability cannot get an increase.

Some are simply off and are playing "Everbug". I killed in Firefall and I got the same usual rare spawns like always. Firefall is better than Shadeweaver. Some Paludal and Firefall are raining, some Shadeweaver are making holiday in Neverland.
  11. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I totally agree with this. Look at the bonus we all got from the Charity event in Oct. That bonus just shows how little this bonus really is.

Not excited about bonus anymore - guess that charity bonus spoiled me.
  12. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

This is the way.

It also helps to the the Named Spawn Please dance.
    Nennius likes this.
  13. Nennius Curmudgeon

Like this?

Rijacki likes this.
  14. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

The all-seeing eye sees all spawns, not just 100 spawns. So it sees literally all spawns that ever have or ever will happen of that spawn location. So while you randomly select 100 spawns and someone else does 100 consecutively and you both decide the spawn rate for the rare is different. The all-seeing eye sees how often it actually spawns on average and decides from that, because as previously stated it could spawn 10 times in a row and not spawn again for more than another 9 hours and that would be in-line with a once an hour average spawn rate.
  15. Etha Journeyman

This is one of the reasons I am not enjoying this expansion. I was killing for hours, got 1 named, another camp had 12 named spawn in that time. They weren't even in zone as long as I was. Even today, another camp has had a named a handful of times so far to my 0. Tha's just 2 examples.

I get that sometimes I can just be unlucky. But it's making me want to play less. There isn't that "pay off" to make me want to keep playing.

Add to that the way loot is done. You finally get a named and it drops something from a shared loot table. The main item i have wanted for my alts, I have yet to find. Looking through info on magelo, alla's and eqresource, I still can't find if it drops more commonly from 1 particular named.

And the way ore's/bricks are done. I have had so many otherworldy things rot becauase they arn't the ones i want.

I feel like each day I play less and less and I just want to give up...
  16. Ravanta Suffer Augur

Gloomfang being on the hunter achievement list for ruins of illsalin is some BS