rangers as range only dps

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by strongbus, Feb 9, 2016.

1. strongbus Augur

what are some hotkeys to use when useing a ranger as a range only dps. looking for some idea for macro keys to load up with spells/disc/aa to use while xping.
  2. Phrovo1 Augur

/autofire on

I have contributed all I can contribute to this discussion
  3. Randragon Augur

4. fransisco Augur

if you want a range dps bot, use a wizard. Archery dps is low compared to melee dps for rangers.
  5. strongbus Augur

the ranger is my puller/snare/track for the group. I have plenty of real dps. mercs/ and other members of the 3 box. just wana get the most i can out of him.
  6. Brohg Augur

if you're not engaging in melee, you really want a druid in that spot
  7. Greyvvolf Lorekeeper

If you want to get the most out of your Ranger, put down the bow. Only time I ever range anymore, is if I'm /afk, or the very rare chance it's better to range on a raid... so, usually only if I'm /afk.
  8. lancelove Augur

If your boxing, after pulling in places where adds are common you hit autofire followed with your dots and snare in there somewhere then do what you do for real dps on your other toons....of course any of your aa dps enhancers get clicked as they refresh, rinse and repeat! Oh yeah, best to have a pocket 'chanter which makes life hella easy....;)
  9. Sakuraba Augur

The Range part in Ranger is kinda a joke at this point. Just there for class resemblance.

We should be renamed Natureblade or something. Because that's basically what we have become. Smacking the target in the face and spamming spells in-between just for extra damage.

If you want your ranger to "help" without being actively played, have something in the group that can consistently inflict Fire damage and just shoot them with the AA that increases fire damage dealt to the mob.
  10. torach Journeyman

If you can get the ranger a really nice bow ranged dps ain't bad.
  11. Brohg Augur

It's terrible, compared to that same ranger's melee potential
  12. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

Don't put the stuff in ( ) in your social.

Burn Macro Range:
    /alt act 872 (Outrider Attacks)
    /disc Pureshot
    /alt act 1461 (2nd Spire)
    /alt act 184 (Guardian of the Forest)
    /alt act 723 (Scout Mastery of the Elements)

Then manually click Scarlet Cheetah and Auspice.

For everyday play just hit autofire and click which ever one of those AAs isn't down. Add in Outrider's Accuracy and Group Guardian of the Forest. You might want to flip Group Guardian with solo one up on the macro.

Spell Macro in this order:
    Anticipated Shots
    Dichotomic Fusillade
    Focused Arrows
    Summer's
    Summer's

You will have to play around with the pause because those are spam spells for rangers.
  13. Karthos Augur

It's less terrible than you think, but yes rangers should be meleeing if they can.
  14. Ravengloome Augur

The Range part of the ranger class name has nothing to do with distance from a mob, traditionally speaking most fantasy rangers and actual examples of rangers the bow has taken a backseat to melee weapons.
    Tarvas likes this.
  15. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

When you think range in ranger think range rover :)
  16. Brohg Augur

I don't think anything about dps. I just look at the numbers. Rangers who think they're playing a nonexistent Archer class are goddamn awful.
  17. Onhanis Stonescale Elder

Unless you're soloing and Headshotting/Bow Kiting.
  18. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

Its all about play styles. I am willing to accept a player who wants to play an "archer." What I am not willing to accept is a player who wants to sit back, hit autofire, and AFK. Obviously if the situation calls for more DPS then that guy is going to be the first to go. Probably one of the easiest (using the word loosely since this is EQ after all) things EQ could do is come up with a "archer" class. Half the work is already done.
  19. Brohg Augur

The situation calls for more DPS.
    Vdidar, A-Quad and Iila like this.
  20. Khauruk Augur

>I am willing to accept a player who wants to play an "archer." What I am not willing to accept is a player who wants to sit back, hit autofire, and AFK.

The last time I was in a group with somebody who fit this profile was at level 70, when the weapons he had were not better than his Planar bow. Or the rare boxer who was boxing a ranger as their puller for some weird reason. For every other one, it has been an indication that they were both ignorant of the class and lazy.