Rangers and Transparency

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by Fletched, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Fletched New Member

Hi All,

First off, let me begin by saying I greatly enjoy playing EQ. First MMO I played when I was 11 years old. Played through Kunark and the expansion right after... Plane of Power? Alas, I was tempted away by other MMOs and came back around the 22nd Expansion. Been hooked since.

That being said, I had some questions in regards to head shot and some humble (and loosely related) suggestions. I jumped my Ranger to 85 using the free Heroic Character provided by the Developers. Love Head Shot - but got questions.

What skills (besides range attacks) have a chance to proc Head Shot? Do all physical spells have a chance to proc it, as well as the ranged attacks?

Suggestions:
    This got me thinking about the AA system. Is there any way to build more transparency into the descriptions? For instance, the Head Shot AA could display information about average proc rate, what skills or abilities have a chance to activate a head shot, etc.

Another observation: Attack and AC. For the most part, the only thing I understand about attack and AC is that the more the better. But it would be neat to be able to see exactly how much the attack skill contributes to my damage. Does it increase my base damage by...10% against targets my level? 20%? 150%? exactly how accurate are my swings?

Lastly, spells.

Now, I'm aware we have Allakhazam, but it would be great to get more in game transparency when I click on a spell. For instance, a spell might ready "Covers you in awesomeness, increasing your hit points, AC, and provides a damage shield"

It would be great if these spells provided a little more information, such as "Covers you in awesomeness, increasing your hit points by 10, AC by 10, and Damage Shield by 5"

Perhaps this is the case for spells in the most recent expansion, I'm unsure. My highest toon is 87 (thanks to Heroic Character).

Interested in hearing the communities thoughts. Very interested in hearing a Developer's thoughts.

Thanks, Ya'll.
  2. Kallitank Elder

I believe all "arrow" type spells have a chance to headshot. As far as the transparency for spell and aa description, I believe they make it vague on purpose to force people to test things out on their own. Also when you consider how everything is affected by buffs and AA's from other characters it might be nearly impossible to be real specific.
  3. SevrinSevendust Elder

I'm sure there are some Rangers out here with serious studied insight and parsing information to help you with some answers in detail, but that's not me...I have read posts and absorbed maybe 20%, and taken away from it my own setup.

If you do a google search on Ranger DPS burn however, you will find many posts that explain the best aa clicks, and spells, and focus to get the most out of your archery skills and headshots...you will even find info to build some Hotkey Socials to accomplish this. In a nut shell however, anything you cast , any aa you click, anything that gives your archery skills more focus will give you a greater chance of head shots. I think in general as stated by Kallitank, EQ intends to be vague, and want you do the figuring out. You can always download a parser, and play around with different ways to try to increase your archery output.

Most straightforward and important way to increase your archery output is to simply get some haste buffs, and haste items to utilize when your in archery mode....the more (faster) you shoot, the more you increase the odds of a headshot.

Below are some links I found with google search talking about burns you may be able glean some answers for yourself from...
    Message me if you like, and I'll happily share my simple setup based on my reading and insight from other helpful rangers, I might also have a doc or two on good burn info not in the list below.

http://www.eqoutrider.net/eqforums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6577

http://www.knightsofinfinity.org/mobile/forum/viewthread/m/34987556/id/25717440-ranger-hs-info

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/ranger-lvl100-spell-abilities-for-dps.235088/

http://forums.eqfreelance.net/index.php?topic=159.0

http://www.eqoutrider.net/eqforums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5500
  4. Chaosflux Augur

First: Allakhazam is the absolute worst spell parser. Use Raidloot or EQResource. Trying to save you headaches, but being abit blunt about it.

For the heads hot question: Anything that performs an archery skill check which the shots spells fall under IIRC or had the skill flag: Archery can proc headshot.

For the transparency thing, there are quite a few SPA that can affect things changing the values, at this point the game is mired with stacking issues and thing that cast a fog of ambiguity over the end result. How those works is probably even ambiguous to most of the devs at this point, or atleast would be quite abit of work to account for.

For the AA and Ui in general over the last 2 or 3 years they have been making a massive effort to streamline the information the player has so it is more relevant. It's not a perfect process for an 18 year old game, but it is slowly getting more transparent.
    SevrinSevendust likes this.