Ranger weapon comparisons - brand new 105

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by kinadafz, Nov 17, 2017.

1. kinadafz Augur

Brand new 105 Ranger, only auto granted AA's for the most part.

Regarding Ranger DPS, I know there are many different situations where I will go bow, dual wield, 2h, etc. But, for the most bang for my buck, the bread and butter of grouping content in EoK t1 and t2, which of these would be the best combinations of weapons to use? Yes, parsing is the answer, but I don't have these weapons. I don't want to waste my time if it is obviously not better than others.

Unyielding Devotion Bow (171/25 range)

Honed Wurmslayer (294/40 primary)
    Any of the groupable t2 EoK weapons that are 133/21 in secondary

Exquisite Barragerr Club (347/36 2h)

Or, is there a better weapon combo / 2h / bow that is obtainable via one group up too EoK t2?

I'm essentially planning my farming path :)
  2. kinadafz Augur

Any ideas on this? I want to start gearing him up this week with EoK gear.
  3. Brohg Augur

The bow is likely better than non raid melee weapons. Get a Grim Momento augment for it from Crypt of Decay. While using the bow, you'll want a Tome of Obulus for your offhand.

When super confined spaces force meleeing, mainhand Master's Sharp with Sigil of Thokk aug, offhand either one of Chieftain Deliverance Sword or Spear of Vindictive Judgement, with Venomous Tear(best), Siren's Demise(cheaper), or Blood Draining Spike aug.

The Wurmslayer is a valuable tool for tanking, but not good melee damage, and has no proc besides, which is a major deal for rng/bst/brd.
  4. kinadafz Augur

Thanks for the detailed response!
    I ended up getting the following last night (good session)

Wurmslayer
    Bi'Faak Silence
    Dove's Cry

I see rangers benefit more from the dmg + proc augs, so I'll work towards what you mentioned or similar.

One question regarding the wurmslayer - you mention it is not that great DPS. I have been calculating the DPS by taking the following formula:

((2*dmg)+dmg bonus)/delay

This puts the wurmslayer significantly above any 1 hander, and many 2 handers, in the EoK groupable weapon scheme.

Can you explain why it is considered less DPS?

I had really poor results with the bow so far. But, it is just a "feel" thing right now as I strill can't figure out how to get a damn dummy in the guild hall. (I'm currently a senior office with default all rights and the message still says I can't put the dummy in this area, aka, guild hall).
  5. dinozo_povar Journeyman

EoK aa's made archery better than melee again.
    Also, weapons aren't that a big deal. Spells and buffs are huge.
    The short advice I give rangers is just make sure dicho crits.
  6. kinadafz Augur

Right now I have only auto grant AA's, nothing more. With range being the goal in my DPS, what AA's should I focus on / what path should I take? Right now I'm just maxing out Burst of Power.
  7. Orienn TreeHugger

Anything that has to do with archery you should max first and then when you do that go back and work on the melee related AA. We do significantly more dps bowing than meleeing as of right now.
  8. Belexes ForumQuester

AAs you need to max to rock doing archery dps...

Archery Mastery
    Bow Mastery
    Endless Quiver
    Third Spire Of The Pathfinders
    Headshot
    Heavy Arrow
    Outrider's Accuracy
    Ranged Finesse
    Trick Shot

Do your TBM progression and get all the ranks of your dicho spell you can.

I am sure I am leaving stuff out, but what I listed will help.

There should be two aug slots on your bow you can put damage augs in. Type 4 and type 7.

Once you have Endless Quiver maxxed out, buy an Ancient Arrow in the bazaar.

I am not the best ranger out there, but I do ok.
  9. kinadafz Augur

Thanks, I'll start doing these AA's now and focus on archery.

I was hopping they were better ranged then melee now anyways :)
  10. roth Augur

That’s not how you calculate weapon ratio. It is simplest (and generally accurate enough, though there might be a few cases where it is not wholly accurate) to simply take the weapon’s listed damage, add any applicable augs, and divide by the delay. So if you have an 8 damage aug, a 133 21 is actually a 141 21. Change the aug to a 12 damage aug, and factor the ratio as 145 21.

If you want to factor in the damage bonus, you would at a bare minimum have to know the current damage table. It is well above 2, though given the other things that factor into how hard a ranger hits for with melee and archery, I do not know what it is anymore.

Bows, you have to add both the augs and the arrow to the damage. If you’ve a 4, 7 slot bow, add in your best range slot damage aug. If you’ve got a 4, 8 slot bow, add your two best damage augs if using two damage augs, or your best damage aug if using the 8 slot for something else. Then add the 21 from the Ancient Arrow (get an Ancient Arrow if not using one; but use your arrow’s damage rating if not using the Ancient arrow), and then divide by the delay. That will get you a somewhat more accurate result than simply taking the bow’s damage and dividing by its delay, though that simpler method still works too.
  11. kinadafz Augur

My results are the same as allakazahm when doing searches in terms of rankings. I’m not saying it’s correct; just that is where I go off of generally. Not right or wrong, just information explaining why i use it.

I just need to figure out this stupid combat dummy thing. No reason why I shouldn’t be able to put it in my guild hall and no easy guide on how to do it.
  12. Razorfall Augur

How about raid weapons?

At the moment I'm running two Dral, Edge of Life until I can get my Tome of Obulous (27 HDex and 96 Spell Damage). Running blood draining spike and conch of singing seas on them. I usually do Vander's Bane and Hornscale Blade (Frost Blossom on Hornscale, Atm just a 12 damange aug on the Vander's bane) or Hornscale/Spike.

I didn't know about the other augs. Gonna have to farm them soon.
  13. kinadafz Augur

As of right now my newbie ranger is doing more sustained and burn dps than my Zerker, with very minimal gear, and I’m having a lot more fun playing him. Thanks for all the input!