Ranger Hail of Arrows

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by Bewts, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Bewts Augur

TLP here and have a question on Hail of Arrows.

While it’s a spell, it’s doing Archery Damage (or at least that’s what I understand).

I get that Headshot works with it. I also get that Trueshot will increase its damage. I have the following questions for it:

What governs the base damage? Bow damage? Bow AND Arrow damage? Is it a set damage table like Frenzy?

What governs Crit rates? Melee Crit rates I expect? Will it benefit from short terms Crit increases like epic, Warder’s Wrath, Intensity, etc? (Not withstanding stacking challenges).

Does it make sense to pop Trueshot and spam this when burning short terms?

What, if anything, would proc (besides headshot) from this? Bow procs? Combat innates? Short term proc buffs (like Jaguar)? Are procs limited only to your current target or will all impacted mobs represent a proc chance?

Obviously the conic damage could prove problematic if used in a place where unwanted adds could be obtained. Does it stop at a wall or Line of sight?
  2. Riou EQResource

The spell has a base damage it uses, then it gets magnified by your Archery boosting abilities (if any AA, trueshot, etc)

Believe Cone damage abilities can and do go through walls
  3. Thurdan New Member

HoA definitely goes through walls, sometimes that's a bad thing other times its good.

do not use it in seb crypt hehe, youll hit the myconids and train everyone in the zone and then the hate tells start coming in .... or at least so ive heard :p
  4. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

Doing Demi-plane and getting trained by rangers using HoA is one of my best phinny memories.
  5. roth Augur

HoA is risky in many areas, but it is usable. You just have to position yourself that you won’t hit anything else, regardless of zone geometry.
  6. Moldar Augur

Hail of Arrows

It is a spell, it consumes mana, but it deals physical damage. In some cases it may used against mobs that are immune to the traditional "fire / cold / magic" checks, but not to physical damage checks.

It is allowed to proc headshots (only for current target -- e.g., you may only ever get 1 headshot per clump of npcs). Disciplines such as Pureshot, (self/grp) Guardian of the Forest, and Outrider's Accuracy will affect the damage output of the spell.

The damage it will deal is essentially coded as high damage archery attacks by themselves, meaning your Bow & arrow combinations will not have any effect on the spell whatsoever. Rather lets take a look at the raidloot.com spell information:

The damage your attacks are going to be based off of are 60 damage archery attacks, so with Pureshot and all of your AA (i do not recall what level you have access to at that level being 110 and some years) but it will be somewhere in the order of 150% damage increase so your looking at 90 base damage attacks and that is what is going to be the base damage for critical hits etc.

Governing crit rate for your arrows are generic increase chance to crit by X% (things like shaman epic 2.0, Third Spire of the Pathfinder, etc) --- AND --- AA lines that directly increase the critical proc rate for your bow. The AA line Veteran's Wrath only affects melee weapons. Warder's Wrath will increase your overall ability to critcal by 200% yes, but I would check that it indeed stacks with Shaman epic 2.0, ALSO Warder's Wrath shares a timer with Pureshot, so you cannot have one without sacrificing the other.

It depends on your guild and what you need more of, more consistent damage overall or more burst damage to wipe out an event. Also (if I recall correctly) Pureshot has a much longer refresh time than Warder's Wrath (I want to say by at least twice as much, at 110 on live they are pretty much the same 19.5 minute timer, but that is with several AA purchased that on a TLP I'm not 100% certain you have access to purchase just yet). It is also going to vary on how many targets you need to get down and what you are raiding, and how quickly your guild is able to overcome them.

Honestly Pureshot / VS Warder's Wrath is a judgement call I would leave up to you sir, I would do some extensive parsing once the parser is fixed and make that judgement call based on the DATA you see.

The only thing Hail of Arrow can proc is Headshot, any archery attack proc AA you may purchase (kind of like massive strikes for rogs, again I'm not sure if you have access to that AA line on TLP). It will not proc Bow procs or augments with procs in your bow (although /autofire will, which you may have running at the time and make it look like it does), it will not proc anything like Shaman jaguar that is reserved for melee only attacks

And as many other people have mentioned the cone type damage it deals is almost more of a hinderment rather than an asset. Unless you are 100% able to direct the cone to not pull another room in a dungeon or break mesmerized NPC from your CC class, it is okay, the cast time is kind of harsh and definitely going to impact your melee DPS, once you start getting the focused lines -- single target hail of arrows, it becomes a great damage tool.
  7. callius Journeyman

I use it as an elevator, HOA though velks wall, = summoned inside castle, HOA in seb shrooms and get summoned into Crypt. Kinda fun :)