Ranger dps (Agnarr) question

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Magic, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Darchias Augur

Are you aware that Rangers deal double damage with a bow if their target is A. standing still and B. not rooted, otherwise known as being occupied by another tank?
  2. Fluid Augur

Yes but in 18 years of on and off playing I have never done it with anything other then a merc because of all the uninformed opinions circulating as gospel about how weak bows are before level ~60 and suitable AA's. This being an Agnarr thread, mercs are not in the equation. As you can tell from some of the replies, a ranger using a bow in a group would likely be told to switch to melee or get booted.

Meanwhile I picked up a Runed Oak Bow in SK last night. My bow plate is full there now and I will just need to upgrade as expansions hit.
  3. mackal Augur

It's 100% true. Ranged DPS is half of what it would be with weapons, except for BER throwing and when rangers using archery against a non-moving, non-rooted mob.
  4. Rouan Augur

This is one of the reasons I view attack as a more integral stat to bows than melee. You want the best chance you can get to hit AND to hit hard.
  5. Bewts Augur

There is really only one time where ranger bow damage > melee and that once Luclin Launches and you have Endless Quiver, Ardhery Mastery AA and AoW Bow through Bow of the Tempest from Plane of Time.

However, once you acquire Timespinner in Plane of Time plus either Quarm Hammer or the Quest Hammer from four Elemental Plane Gods, you will surpass Archery DPS via melee unless you are running Trueshot.

From that point forward for a few expansions, you will have better DPS via melee than you will from Archery DPS (except when running Trueshot). This is primarily driven from piling on hDEX, AA driving up melee damage, and weapon ratios evolving past 1.0 while Bow options, while upgrades, do not keep pace and make up the difference.

The why as this difference? There was a knee jerk reaction to the unintended result rangers observed beteeen Luclin and end game Time.

So pre-Luclin? Melee.
    Luclin until max gear in PoP-Time? Archery.
    Max gear in PoP-Time forward? Melee unless Trueshot is up.
    Numiko likes this.
  6. Numiko Augur

I can confirm what Bewts says was consistant with my experience of maining a raiding Ranger on Phinny from start of Kunark era to present.

From Original to Velious Melee was superior DPS
    Luclin to LDON Bows were superior DPS
    GoD and Beyond - Melee is superior unless you have Trueshot up.
  7. Darchias Augur

Well damn, shows what I know.
  8. Deliverus_sumtacos New Member

Is the Trueshot dps being greater than melee dps dependant on the bow as well? Because currently I run a Nightmarewood Compound Bow and I am wondering if I should stick with Timespinner and farm for a Whip of the Earthcrafter or try and farm for Stonewood/Featherwood bow parts. I have all dps related AA as well.
  9. Kylo Classic Augur

Strap in for a time warp.
  10. c313 Augur

Holy Necro Batman!
  11. FranktheBank Augur

2017 post... lol
  12. Deliverus_sumtacos New Member

I know, but the topic is still relevant on my server (Rizlona) with a few guilds just entering time. It didn't seem logical to restart this topic when it is already here.
  13. Lateryn Augur

Ogre roleplay but confused about what ogres can be?
  14. Ronluwen Elder

I've parsed pretty extensively, BiS time weapons + LDON aug's catch up to elemental level bows. Nightmare is pretty bad, you want to get at least one of the fire/water/air/earth bows, and spam your 4 fast nukes. This will be your best dps for a long time TS or not.

Best thing you can do is grab yourself an elemental bow for cheap/free depending on your guild, then don't worry about switching to melee until at least 1 GoD weapon +timespinner. The dkp/stress of getting 2 1 hander BIS items + good ldon augs is too much considering how cheap the elemental bows are. Also, the warmaster's bow from Tactics is on par with the best of the elemental bows, and won't cost much in dkp if your guild isn't handing out bows.
    Boze likes this.