Randomized Loot Questions

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Agrippa, May 8, 2023.

1. Agrippa Augur

I've been thinking about starting a new character on Mischief, but I rather enjoy camping my own gear for my characters. At least for gear that they can earn through their own efforts. I certainly don't mind trading and paying for things that I can't aquire on my own. As the game was originally designed, where everything was fully tradable, including dragon hoard loot.

Anyhow, I'm wondering if anyone might tell me if it's even feasible to camp my own gear with the randomized loot setting. If anyone here is familiar with how the augmentations drop in Firefall Pass in the Nights of Shadow on normal servers, can they confirm if that basically how all drops will work for Mischief? Camping for a specific augmentation there just isn't realistic for most players, as there are quite a lot that can drop. With that system in place there, it leads to "better" camps can spawn lots of rares being highly contested. Great system for bot crews, of course, but not so great for the average player. I get that I'd likely be able to eventually trade for most gear, but would I be setting myself up for failure and disappointment if I actually wanted to acquire said gear on my own?
  2. magikarp Elder

on mischief you’re in the defiant gear era. it drops randomly off everything so it’s less camping and more just finding a piece here and there while leveling. defiant gear is just too good and there’s something for every slot so it kinda nullifies anything else

unfortunately defiant gear isn’t on any of the boss tables that i’m aware of that would be impacted by random loot. it already drops everywhere. could be somewhere specific where it’s on a boss table i guess but not seen it

you can trade or auction off the pieces you don’t use in bazaar while offline, then collect a few of equal value in the morning. probably the easiest way to progress without a krono
  3. Iyacc Augur

You can buy cast off raid gear cheaper than any group gear on any previous server. You can camp group named and will get random items and more than normal load but no way to predict what it will be. This gives you things to vendor and bazaar so you can buy what you need.

IMO defiant is so random that it isn't worth trying to collect those pieces either. I will say that when I level a new toon(doesn't happen often) I do it quickly and don't wander around doing normal xp groups so maybe you'll see defiant more often doing it the old fashioned way. You can still buy much better cast-off raid gear with no or low level requirements than anything else if you don't mind farming a few hundred or a few thousand play as you level.
  4. Pikollo Augur

Yes it can be a pain to farm specific things. But the flip side is if that specific thing is on a hard to reach/hard to kill mob then chances are it drops from an easier one. You have to learn about the buckets and what mobs can drop the loot you are targeting. Another factor is multiple drops on Mischief/Thornblade so you're getting more gear per rare mob.

The drops get a lot easier to target depending on what expansion your in. TSS was fairly easy to get a set of visible armor and there were so many rares you could gear out fairly fast in group armor. TBS has a smaller set of rares so there's less overall drops but with bonus loot you gear out fast.

If you're just looking at gearing with group armor and not really raiding I would suggest Thornblade over Mischief. Its less populated so less contest on rare mobs.
  5. Kahna Augur

I dunno. My Pally buddy farmed all his AC augs and it didn't take any longer than it would have on a regular server. It might have been faster, because he had some super easy mob he could farm over and over that could drop everything he needed. I do believe he sold off extras of some augs to fill out his full set but, that totally counts as earning it yourself. If you just want to farm it all yourself why play an MMO?
  6. ForumBoss Augur

If you are parking at one placeholder, and only killing that, it will likely take a bit longer. The nice thing is if the mob you want is camped, you can go somewhere else and have a shot at it. As mentioned above, the extra loot tables also make it nearly as likely to get what you need unless the loot pool is huge. This eliminated a lot of the toxic camp competition and kill stealing that plagued other TLP's and will impact Oakwynd.
  7. Labzeh Lorekeeper

My general experience playing on TB since launch was this (this is more applicable from GoD onwards not things like getting Jboots in classic)

- Farming any item that has the ability to drop from a range of mobs becomes far easier as you can just target farm an easy mob and get access to the drops. Things like Omens of war signet mobs dropping runes was excellent.

- Specific farming of an item that has a regularly limited pool can somewhat be much more painful. for example Ore of stone strength 20AC aug from Girplan Shardtender in RSS. I've always had quite a good time camping this dude to get 4 of the ores and walk away with them in a night. On thornblade It was the issue of then having the chance of rolling him in a pool of mobs, then having him try to roll the aug on his loot table.

So say it's a 33% chance for him to drop it, and he's in a pool of 10 names. essentially the chance then goes from 30% to 3%. Aside from taking into account things like extra loot which just means more chances, but the chance to drop no doubt becomes much lower on target farming items.